< The Glory of Their Times | Main | Couple of things plus the KMOTW >

A whole bunch of Knuckleheads

I was coming home today from work when I read one of the most perplexing things I have read in a while. On 94-West, right before the Lowry Tunnel, there is a huge billboard for KSTP-TV that actually has running news headlines. So, I look up to see what news story they were promoting on the billboard and I was amazed to see this headline:

"New Wild owner says he probably won't move the team. More at 6:00 on Eyewitness News."

This was quite shocking to read. I thought, "Is moving the Wild, one of the most successful NHL franchises, even an option? Is Leipold really considering this?"

So then I thought, "Well, I guess I'll have to tune into KSTP-TV Eyewitness news at 6:00 to find out."

What a complete crock! The news comes on at 6:00 and they immediately go out to Tim Sherno (loved him on the channel 9 morning show) on location at the X and he says, "We've all got some questions for the new owner. Most importantly, is he going to move the team like Norm Green? Well, I asked him that question and here is his response."

(cut to a shot of Craig Leipold, looking slightly stunned at the question)

"No, I am not going to move the Wild out of Minnesota. Minnesota is the State of Hockey, the team has great fan support, and this is the best franchise in the NHL."

Yeah, big surprise there. This is the angle KSTP chooses for this story? Seriously? Will Leipold move the team? The Xcel Energy Center has been sold out since it opened, the building is regularly picked as one of the best venues in any sport, and the NHL freely admits it made a big mistake when it moved a team out of this area the first time. Only a complete moron would think this is even an option.

For this pure stupidity I hereby choose everyone in the KSTP news department as my Knucklehead McSpazatrons of the Week.

spongekstp.jpg

Unfortunately, the more I think about this the more I think that actually I am the Knucklehead. It is obvious KSTP went with this angle to draw in viewers. Man am I ever a sucker!

Oh well. See you soon!

Posted by snackeru at January 11, 2008 5:40 AM

Shane, in the 30 years I lived there, Ch 5 never had a good news dept. They've been at the bottom of the ratings forever...ever since Ron Magers collected more DUI's than he did news awards...Thankfully his younger brother Paul has been far mor successful in Minneapolis and now LA.

And they still employ Cyndi Barracuda??????? That says it all right there!!!!

Posted by: kevin in az at January 10, 2008 11:36 PM

After the sale, I went on to "Mike Russo's Rants" on startribune.com. He is the Wild beat writer and has an up to the minute blog on Wild news. There were some "commenters" on his blog that were giving the new owner "no more than two years" before he tries to move the team.

I feel that I am dumber for having read that, and twice as dumb (if that is possible) for just typing those words.

The Wild is (are?) a goldmine. The Xcel Energy Center is a goldmine. There are 7500 on the season ticket waiting list. Oh, and they have never had a game that was not a sellout. Where would they move to? Appleton?

People are crazy.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at January 11, 2008 7:18 AM

Seriously, I can't even believe we are discussing it. People, if he didn't try to move the Predators, a team that is struggling in its market, he isn't going to try to move the Wild! I hear you Jeff, I am dumber for even having to type that!

Posted by: Shane at January 11, 2008 7:24 AM

Send me an e-mail at sbg at stickandballguy dot com to set up burrito run. You can delete this comment if you like.

Posted by: SBG at January 11, 2008 9:34 AM

This is why I never bother watching network news broadcasts any more. They always lead off with a teaser about a story that promises to reveal what sounds like the cure for cancer or some great danger lurking in our everyday environment. Usually it turns out to be something completely stupid/obvious, like a warning that you shouldn't put your tongue on a metal pole when it's 20 below zero.

Posted by: ldfs at January 11, 2008 12:29 PM

But, but... but they give us more news! They're like the Biggie Size meal of news! Like the Big Gulp of news! The wheelie-popping, car-smashing monster truck of news!

What? Quantity is not necessarily better than quality? Shucks. Who would have guessed?

Posted by: twayn at January 11, 2008 1:05 PM

Why move the club when you can just raise ticket prices about 50% and the "hockey fish" will lap up those tickets faster than Shane's cat in front of a milk saucer.

Posted by: D-man at January 11, 2008 3:14 PM

Who cares about hockey? How about those Gophers and Tubby Smith? Whoo!

Posted by: Snyder at January 12, 2008 4:27 PM

Hey how about that sportswriter who gave Chuck Knoblauch a vote for the baseball hall of fame. He's deserving of the KMOTW.

Or you could always go with perennial favorite LPII who it was reported this week had a confederate appraiser on the Twins Ballpark condemnation hearing panel. You know the guy who after the hearing publicly announced that he thought the land should be 50 percent higher. Jeez he wasn't even subtle about where his alliances were at.

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 16, 2008 9:10 AM

Happy Birthday, Shane!

Posted by: Snyder at January 16, 2008 10:09 AM

Anyone else going to Twinsfest? I just got two comp tickets in the mail.

Posted by: Snyder at January 16, 2008 9:54 PM