< A whole bunch of Knuckleheads | Main | Misery Loves Company >

Couple of things plus the KMOTW

First of all, I must apologize for my silence. The winter months are the busiest time for me and my family. All the activities my kids do, plus teaching at St. Kate's, means that I have very little time. In addition, yesterday was my birthday! Thanks to all of you who sent me wishes for a good day. In truth, I had a pretty boring day. Work, dinner, basketball practice with my son, and then I watched a crappy movie. When you turn 35 birthdays just aren't a big deal anymore.

inrainbows.jpg I don't know why, but now I want to talk about something completely different. I want to talk about music. Let me tell you something ... In Rainbows by Radiohead is a pretty good little album. As Freealonzo will attest, I had some negative things to say about it when it came out. But now I can't stop listening to it. It is a very mature album. None of the anger or freakish experimentation of previous Radiohead albums. It displays a very confident band intent on making interesting yet accessible music. "Bodysnatchers," "Weird Fishes," "House of Cards" ... just beautiful.

Now for the Knucklehead of the Week. I've had a couple of nominations. First of all Garrison Keillor for having a humongous house of his own but suing a neighbor for wanting to put up an addition. Jerk. Then Freealonzo nominated the baseball writer who gave Chuck Knoblauch a vote for the Baseball Hall of Fame. That gave me a chuckle. If only we could figure out who that is! That would be perfect.

No, as the Hot Stove League goes on, there is only one person I want to give this award to:

spongebill.jpg

That's right! It is Bill Smith of the Minnesota Twins! Bill, for the love of all that is holy, please do something with Johan Santana! Please! Trade him, sign him, just figure it out! Plus, if we do trade him it is becoming readily apparent that we will probably end up with a water boy, a piece of string, and Tarvaris Jackson. Regardless, I just can't take it anymore.

So, that is my two cents for today. Bill Smith is my Knucklehead McSpazatron of the Week. Anyone disagree?

Posted by snackeru at January 18, 2008 8:36 AM

Happy Belated Birthday Shane... you share the same as SBG and many others you can see on the SBG site.

I have been a bit out of touch on music the past few years, but received a MP3 player from Santa. One of my first downloads was In Rainbows. I went through the same issues with it as you. It has really grown on me.

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: zooomx at January 18, 2008 9:59 AM

My vote is for Chili Davis.

Posted by: SBG at January 18, 2008 10:01 AM

Vindicated once again!!!!!! :o)

So does this mean that you are going to go back to the Radiohead site and actually pay for In Rainbows?

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 18, 2008 10:12 AM

I know we're not supposed to pick on amateur athletes, but I would've nominated Spencer Tollackson after going 0-7 from the FT line last night. Ridiculous! If he keeps that up, I'm going to start calling him Maddog when I go to the games...

Posted by: Snyder at January 18, 2008 1:41 PM

Hey Snyder, check your e-mail.

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 18, 2008 3:32 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with Snyder. I nearly had a coronary last night watching Spencer and others choking at the charity stripe. C'MON!!!!

Another candidate would be Herschel Walker or whomever he was when he played with the Vikings. I used to joke, "Would the real Herschel show up???"....Now I guess it really wasn't a joke.

Posted by: kevin in az at January 18, 2008 5:21 PM

Shane-
A voice not heard from in awhile, but knowing now you are teaching at St. Kate's (my backyard) you have to stop by the Groveland Tap this Wednesday. 7pm pre-game and 8:30 ice time for boot hockey at Groveland Park. Bring your stick. All Greet Machiners welcome.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at January 18, 2008 7:58 PM

Sorry I could not get away from work to make burrito night (thanks for the invite, Free!). Any good stories from that to share?

Posted by: Snyder at January 18, 2008 10:26 PM

I think there needs to be a recount. Check out this authentic dancer we all know:

http://www.huettengaudi.de/flash.php?dance=8tfp8j9q6k0898p4

Give the flash video a few tics of the clock. It will begin on its on.

Posted by: Brian Maas at January 20, 2008 4:44 PM

Shane:

I'm a reporter with the Wall Street Journal in LA, and I'm putting together a feature on passionate (and mostly depressed) Minnesota sports fans. I'd love to get in touch with you for the piece but I can't find any contact info on the blog. If you get a moment, please contact me at:
jonathan.weinbach@wsj.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon - I'm just trying to turn this article around ASAP, so if you're around, by all means shoot me an email. great stuff on the blog and thanks much in advance.

Best,
Jon Weinbach

jonathan.weinbach@wsj.com
323.240.0940

Posted by: Jon Weinbach at January 20, 2008 4:54 PM

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

MLB Congressional Hearings 2008, George Mitchell, Bud Selig, Donald Fehr Testify
George Mitchell, Bud Selig and Donald Fehr testified before a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee reviewing Major League Baseball’s sordid and long term performance enhancing drug problem.

The hearing was held to discuss the findings in the Mitchell Report and MLB’s non-progress in fighting performance enhancing drugs since the last congressional hearings in 2005; especially banning dozens of players and revoking awards for the last 15 years.

Henry Waxman said that he and Tom Davis asked the Justice Department to look into whether Tejada lied to investigators during questioning in connection to Palmeiro's perjury case in 2005 when Tejada denied using or knowing or even hearing a discussion about performance enhancing drugs.

George Mitchell was the first to be questioned. Mitchell was asked about his methods during his investigation and the levels of cooperation he received. Mitchell hid behind what he had mostly reiterated what was in his report while running from questions about stimulants.

Overall, Commissioner, Bud Selig, and Players Association leader, Donald Fehr faced a much more severed and unhospitable congress than in 2005. Both were blamed for MLB’s non-progress since 2005, and grilled about the current state of the game. The committee said it was most concerned with the recommendations put forth in the Mitchell Report. They asked about blood tests, genetic doping, medical exemptions, independent testing, severed fines, imprisonment, and other issues facing MLB going forward.

Posted by: send em to jail at January 20, 2008 6:44 PM

Legalize-steroids.com

Lets get the oomph back in baseball...

Posted by: bent at January 20, 2008 6:55 PM