< Couple of things plus the KMOTW | Main | Details emerging >

Misery Loves Company

mort.jpg

As Vikings fans some of our greatest victories are Packers' losses.

Believe me, if you are a Packer fan, I feel your pain. When Tynes hit that field goal, I could feel the anguish come over the border in waves. Much like the 1998 Vikings, the Packers were a team of destiny led by a legendary quarterback playing at home in a can't lose situation. In an ESPN poll the same day, not even New York fans were picking the Giants to win. The Packers, at home, in the cold? It wasn't a matter of if they would win, it was a question of "by how much?"

But I gotta admit, I had a smile on my face when Tynes hit that field goal. In fact, I think I even gleefully laughed. Quite frankly I am surprised by my reaction. I thought I didn't care who won, but when it came down to the nitty gritty I found out that I really wanted the Giants to win. Years of hating the Packers will have that effect on a person.

So, I just wanted to say thanks to the Giants. Two weeks of hearing about Favre vs. Brady would have been unbearable. But honestly, having the Packers lose so spectacularly makes the picture above a little easier to take. I don't know why, but it does. It is going to take a few more years of healing to fully get over the 1999 NFC Championship, don't get me wrong, but let me tell you the Giants win yesterday helps a lot.

Misery loves company. Welcome to my misery Cheeseheads. I hope you stay for a while!

Posted by snackeru at January 21, 2008 8:38 PM

The important thing to remember is that this loss was Brett Favre's fault. He threw a couple of ridiculous interceptions, including the one that led to the game winning field goal. In the final analysis, Brett Favre cost the Packers a trip to the Super Bowl with his subpar play. That is all.

Posted by: SBG at January 22, 2008 7:32 AM

Watching the game, I thought that the Packers looked much less prepared for the cold than the G-Men. By the end of the 1st half, they were sputtering and Favre had the look of a man who wanted to be anywhere else. That they buckled down and got thru the 2nd half without it being a massacre is beyond me.

I recall a mention that the Giants practiced outdoors all week in 20 degree temps, while the Packers practiced inside. From the looks of things, I'd say that may have been the key to why the G-Men won this game.

Posted by: barryS at January 22, 2008 9:54 AM

I find it rather pathetic that you define your fandom by how another team does. Not about the accomplishments of the team you root for, but by how a rival does.

I truly do pity you.

SBG, I know you don't care about football and you are just trying to goad me.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 22, 2008 9:57 AM

Really? You honestly wouldn't be happy to see the Bears lose? Either you are a liar or you need to loosen up a bit. If you don't take pleasure in your team's rival choking when it counts the most, then you haven't lived!

In my case as a Vikings fan I'll take happiness wherever I can get it. I have no shame in that. And you have my pity for having undeserved pity on me. How pitiful.

Skol Vikings!

Posted by: Shane at January 22, 2008 10:05 AM

The Bears winning or losing when it doesn't directly involve the Packers really does nothing for me. Same for all the other division teams.

So loosening up and living to you is taking pleasure in the pain of others? Wow. That statement stuns me.

You say you have no shame, that means you've never had self-esteem. That is so sad.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 22, 2008 11:02 AM

Sheesh ... if you want to turn NFL rivalries into first Corinthians 13 where we all sit around singing Kumbaya then be my guest. Let me know how the quiche tastes at your tea party.

Also, I said as a Vikings fan I'll take happiness wherever I can get it. I have no shame in that. To reiterate, I have no shame in being a sad, pathetic Vikings fan that rejoices in the pain of others.

All other areas of my life are up for grabs. Carry on ...

Posted by: Shane at January 22, 2008 12:24 PM

I look at it this way.

Had the situation been reversed, no Packer fan would be feeling bad for me if the Vikings got upset in the NFC championship game. In fact, I'm sure there were plenty of celebrations going on in Cheeseheadland in 1998 when the Vikings blew their game against the Falcons.

Therefore, I side with Shane in taking pleasure in the Packers' misery and especially in that, as SBG pointed out, it was Favre that cost them the game.

Posted by: Snyder at January 22, 2008 12:40 PM

I'm guessing all those "Holy Cross" chants from Badgers are really in celebration of Holy Cross' plucky win and not directed at rubbing the Gophers' face in that ugly ugly loss.

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 22, 2008 12:44 PM

I commend Favre for recognizing the fragile psyche of his young club and doing everything he could to spare them the ridicule that no doubt would've wrecked them for years after being humiliated by the Pats.

A similar foresight can be credited to Chilly for finding a way to orchestrate the Vikes bowing out of the NFC playoffs and preserve a higher draft pick to build for the future all while giving the AFC another year to inevitably fall back to the pack.

SKOL VIKES!

Posted by: Yabbit at January 22, 2008 1:19 PM

Guilty as charged.

Posted by: SBG at January 22, 2008 1:24 PM

So because I challenge your "fandom" by pointing out that your greatest joy is not in your own team's success, but rather what happens to other teams, you make some crack which I assume is about manhood with the tea party comment.

Shane, the only way you could ever have any manhood is if you actually got the sex change operation and became a man. Until then, go back to your Oprah Book Club, wine coolers and sundress. Do we need to bring up the Great Clips conversation again?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 22, 2008 1:48 PM

As an impartial observer of the NFC Championship on Sunday, I figured I might as well throw in a prediction which occurred about this game in 1988.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izArWUVtMC4

Enjoy!

Posted by: Mylometer at January 22, 2008 3:01 PM

Could it be just days ago when we all got along?

Posted by: SBG at January 22, 2008 3:12 PM

Never mind Cheesehead's taunts. There's no sweeter freude than schadenfreude.

Anyway, I was feeling mainly relief for that placekicker. I think if he'd missed a third one, he would have spent the off-season duct-taped to the ceiling of the visitors' lockerroom at Lambeau.

Posted by: kurtis at January 22, 2008 4:26 PM

No problem with having joy in another team's loss. I was in 7th heaven when Dallas lost to the Giants and T.O. was crying in front of the cameras. And Jerry Jones looked like he wanted to vomit....PRICELESS!!!!!

Posted by: kevin in mn at January 22, 2008 6:04 PM

Yeesh. Love the passive aggressive complaining about other teams enjoying other teams pain. I ask the question, 'Who is the more "annoying" non-Minnesota Fan':

A. Packer Fans
B. North Dakota Souix Fans

Posted by: Drake33 at January 22, 2008 10:00 PM

For any Packer fan to claim they would get no pleasure out of watching the Vikings or Bears lose the NFC Championship Game is BS. We don't care 'more' about seeing the Packers lose then the Vikings win, it's just a satisfying substitute.

I also could not have stood two weeks of the media drooling all over Farve. The Monday Night Game against Denver that was almost entirely devoted to him and his wife was enough to make me ill. If I weren't a Broncos fan I'd have had to turn it off. As it was I was very sad that I was out of range for 850 KOA.

Posted by: David H. at January 23, 2008 8:26 AM

I'm a die-hard Packer fan and my hatred and vitriol for anything Vikings far outweighs my distaste for the Bears. Packers/Bears is a genuine rivalry; Packers/Vikings is a made-up one by Vikings fans who have noone else to rival against and have anyone give a crap. :)

GO PACK IN '08!

Posted by: Vicki at January 31, 2008 4:18 PM