< Upon further reflection | Main | Wait! I've got an idea! >

Is there any doubt?

People! I appreciate your efforts to calm me down. But I won't have any of it! It is time to be angry!

We     did     not     even     get     one     major     league     ready     player!!!!!!!!!!

Not one! Johan Santana is the best pitcher in major league baseball! We can't even get one decent player for Johan Santana?

Behold! I present to you the first two-time winner of the Knucklehead McSpazatron of the Week!

Billy Spongebob Smith

Terry Ryan might be Patrick to Bill's Spongebob, and Pohlad plays a pretty good Mr. Krabs, but Billy Smith got schooled by the beasts in the east.

I agree whole-heartedly with Patrick Reusse who wrote today about Carlos Gomez:

If he's not in center on March 31, and on merit, then the Twins waited seven weeks to make the worst deal possible.

Is this what we have to look forward to after 2010? Can the Twins ever have the best player in baseball? Or will they always let players like this go?

And if they are forced to let players like this go, will the Mets, Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox always just toy with us until we accept a less than stellar deal?

Was Kirby Puckett the last Hall of Famer that will play the bulk of his career as a Twin and retire as a Twin?

You know, in a couple of weeks I will probably have calmed down. By then I will have probably accepted the fact that the Twins are like a college team: new players come and go every four years. But as a fan ... as a ticket buyer ... as a taxpayer who helped get this new stadium built ... it is my responsibility, no it is my right to express my dissatisfaction.

I am disgusted with this situation. Give me a couple of weeks, but right now I am going to be disgusted.

Posted by snackeru at January 31, 2008 8:14 PM

Shane - calm. Must be calm. The real "trump card" to this whole thing is what the Twins do in 2009 and 2010 with the money they saved on Santana and Hunter.

If they sit on the money, the whole thing sucks. If they spend the money on some players, this could work out very well.

We all know Santana was not going to sign with the Twins long term. Do you really think they would have won the division even with him in 2008?

No.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at January 31, 2008 9:05 PM

Sadly, I think 34 will be the last Twins Hall-of-Famer for a while, though Mauer has a good shot if he stays healthy since I don't think money is what drives him.

Posted by: Snyder at January 31, 2008 9:19 PM

They'll take the money they saved from Santana and pay Nathan. It makes so much TWINS sense to throw lots of money at one of the best closers in the majors, especially when the team will rarely be in save situations now that the starting rotation's avg age is 12.

I'm just as disgusted as you Shane. Not necessarily because Santana was dealt, but, because Smith didn't excercise his cajones during the winter meetings when he had the chance. Like Patrick Reusse also said in that article, Smith used those cajones when he pulled the trigger on the Delmon Young deal. Why was he so hesitant in Nashville????????

With the Twins luck, the Mets and Santana won't agree on a contract, he'll comeback for one year, be a cancer in the clubhouse and leave as a free agent while the Twins get 2 draft picks.

Sick....Just a sick feeling all around.

Posted by: kevin in az at January 31, 2008 11:37 PM

Shane,

I think you've hit something important. The current MLB revenue sharing (or lack of it) model has the unintended byproduct of pushing all the potential hall-of-famers to a small handful of teams.

It's very tangible proof of the problems (in a way that a $160 million deal for a pitcher may not at first appear to be).

+

Posted by: Rick at February 1, 2008 1:43 AM

Shane SMASH!!!

Posted by: barryS at February 1, 2008 10:06 AM

I highly doubt the best deals (or even the not-worst deals) always involve immediate gratification. Say what you will about Gomez' future potential, but where he's playing on March 31st this year is meaningless in judging this trade.

Posted by: spycake at February 1, 2008 2:48 PM

So it's sounding like $152 for 7 years. Assuming Santana gets 20-22 wins every year, that's a million per victory, say 600K / start.

If the Twins had kept Santana and sold out every one of his starts in the new stadium at an average of $50/ticket (no way), nearly 1/3 of game ticket revenue ($50*40,000) would be dedicated to paying a single player.

I dunno, it sure seems like something's got to give. How can that POSSIBLY be worth it to any team?

I guess you model in a World Series victory and a few post-season appearances when you do the financial analysis...

Posted by: tato at February 1, 2008 3:21 PM

So who's going to be the first $200 million pitcher????

Posted by: kevin in az at February 1, 2008 8:39 PM

Duh, Francisco Liriano when he signs with the Red Sox.

Posted by: Freealonzo at February 1, 2008 9:45 PM

Time to shut 'er down! if you can't/won't compete (beyond just "hoping to get lucky"), pick up your bat and go home.

It ain't "bandwagon" its refusing to be taken for a "sucker"

Posted by: closeupshop at February 1, 2008 9:56 PM

Perhaps Sabathia

Posted by: kevin in az at February 1, 2008 11:10 PM