< Is there any doubt? | Main | Never let up >

Wait! I've got an idea!

OK. I've calmed down a bit. I appreciate all your comments trying to bring me back from the ledge. Johan is gone, we got four "players" for him, and there is nothing we can do about it. Fair enough. In fact, I just read about Johan's deal. Apparently it is a six year deal worth $137.5 million. But the nitty-gritty is even more interesting:

Johan Santana will receive $21.5 million per season -- or about $632,352 per appearance and $6,337 per pitch -- under the terms of the record-setting agreement he reached Friday with the New York Mets.

Yep. That is a little pricey. No doubt about it. Let me make it clear that I've never had a problem with trading Johan. Nobody who only plays once every five days is worth $21.5 million.

I was just under the crazy impression that we could actually get some decent players for the best pitcher in baseball. Like, oh, I don't know ... maybe a team's top prospect or something. Instead we got ... wait, who did we get again? I've forgotten.

Oh well. Like I said, I've calmed down a bit now. In fact, I've started to look on the bright side of all this.

For example, it would appear that the Twins are willing to listen to almost any deal, no matter how ridiculous it might seem to be. And apparently they don't just listen, they might actually accept!

Mets: Hey Twins, how about 4 stiffs for Santana?
Twins: Sure! That makes sense.

With this knowledge, I have decided to make a proposal of my own. I've always wanted season tickets to the Twins, but I really can't afford them. But now ... well, maybe I can!

Hey Twins! Here is the deal: You give me season tickets and I will give you a bag of potato chips. Here is the bag I will give you:

potatochips.jpg

Note that it is a bag of classic potato chips, and it is "Family Size" so you can share it with a lot of people in the office. At first I thought I would have to throw in a bag of pretzels too, but after the Santana deal I'm pretty sure you will find this to be a more than generous offer.

So, the minute I get the season tickets I will give you the bag of chips. Oh, and I prefer the first base side for my tickets.

You know where to reach me. I look forward to hearing from you!

Posted by snackeru at February 1, 2008 10:24 PM

Mr. Greet Machine:

Throw in a tub of Deans French Onion Dip and you got a deal!

Posted by: Dave St. Peter at February 2, 2008 2:11 PM

The offer of my can of Pringles is off the table!

Posted by: Hank S. at February 2, 2008 3:40 PM

According to the Strib;

A team that won 79 games last year is losing its staff ace (Santana), most dynamic fielder (Torii Hunter) and most productive hitter (Hunter led the team in average and slugging percentage). It will take two players this season to replace what Hunter gave the Twins last year -- perhaps Young's bat and Gomez's glove, if he even makes the team.

Sure am glad that the NFL is basically a year around endeavor. Screw baseball, contract the Twins or at least make them the East Coast's triple A farm club.

Posted by: Jimmy at February 2, 2008 5:03 PM

Since the Twins have actually won two World Series in my lifetime, I'll be sticking with them.

In fact, I'm willing to bet the Twins win another championship before the Vikings ever do.

In the meantime, I will look forward to watching Tubby's squad at The Barn tomorrow! Go Gophers!

Posted by: Snyder at February 2, 2008 6:54 PM

Ahhh sorry, but no. I think the statutory limit on goodwill resulting from championships expires after a decade, at least!

The only constant between the current club and the ones you're romanticizing is the ownership. How long must it be before the slack thats cut this club runs out? We've been hearing about "small market" and "dumb excessive contracts" for 20 years! the economics of baseball haven't changed, if anything, they've gotten worse! A few days ago people were blasting the idea of offering a pitcher a 6 year deal. I casually agreed assuming this was another dunderheaded move by less responsible clubs, but low and behold I read the first 6 year contract for a pitcher was offered 10 years ago! this isn't anything new, this isn't ground breaking territory. The only thing this is, is the Twins sticking their heads in the sand and selling a bunch of crap to some of their fans who are willing to lap it up.

Just this offseason the Twins were (or should be) embarassed by offering Torii 1/2 of what he eventually got; Silva about a 1/3rd of what he actually got and now Santana roughly 2/3rds of what he eventually got. What's changed? NOTHING. the whole league to stupid, right?

The Twins - get to know 'em again and again and again.....as long as people like "Snyder" exist, buy tickets and support hand outs, why would the Twins change?

Posted by: barry at February 3, 2008 11:24 AM

Barry,

Try reading "Now I Can Die In Peace" by Bill Simmons. It might help you gain some perspective.

Especially since my comment was in response to the inane notion of abandoning the Twins to cheer for the Vikings. If I remember right, the last time they went to a Super Bowl was before I was born and they couldn't even win it.

Posted by: Snyder at February 3, 2008 1:34 PM

I have to correct myself. The Vikings last lost the Super Bowl in 1977 when I was 4.

Posted by: Snyder at February 3, 2008 1:44 PM

The Twins should not have offered any more than they did for Hunter or Santana. Hunter was not worth it, and a medium market team like the Twins cannot afford to commit 150 million to one player... it is too much of a risk.

I agree that we should have gotten more for them then they did. Smith was handed a sh@t sandwich from Terry Ryan and did what he could. I still think the Yanks and RedSox were more tuned into sabotaging each other than actually trading for Santana.

I think Smith will sign whoever we need to be competitive in 2009, and a contender in 2010. All those over-reacting today will feel a bit silly when they are in the playoff both of the above years. We will probably still struggle to keep a top 10 player in the league... just like the other 25 teams that are not in a major market

Posted by: zooomx at February 3, 2008 3:06 PM

Shane,
This won't stop you from going to Milwaukee for the Twins/Brewers series this year will it?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 4, 2008 11:30 AM

I generally don't feel that Santana is worth what he's gonna get paid, unless you assume he'll get you a world series, or consistent post-season appearances. So in this respect, I'm not totally bummed the Twins lost him.

However, I've basically concluded that the reason the Twins didn't get much for him is because the Pohlad's don't even try to deftly convince people that they MIGHT be willing to pay him. Once everyone knows (correctly) that the Twins ain't gonna pay a superstar market rates, everyone knows the Twins WILL lose him, and they immediately lose all leverage. They're basically over a barrel with the clock working against them, and they end up with the trade they got.

At some point, the Twins need to at least convince people they MIGHT be willing to shell out the big bucks, otherwise this type of thing will happen over and over.

I think they realized this late in the game. Homer Hartman wrote a column a week or two back suggesting that the Twins might sign Santana. I could totally see this little tidbit coming straight from the Twins organization in a desperate attempt to show other teams that Santana might be off the market unless they up the ante. By then, though, it's really too late. Everyone knows the Twins won't pay, and thus other teams just let them twist in the wind and force them to take what they can get.

Posted by: tato at February 4, 2008 5:34 PM

Twins: Sure! That makes sense.

This sounds conspicuously like a recent Nick Coleman column...

Posted by: spycake at February 5, 2008 1:27 PM

Aha! You have figured me out! I am Nick Coleman!

Actually I have calmed down a bit. Lavelle's column this Sunday was pretty good and described the bind that Smith was really in.

Oh well, good luck Santana. We'll see you in the World Series.

Posted by: Shane at February 5, 2008 1:39 PM

STM, Is that you?????

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/15335156.html

Posted by: kevin in az at February 5, 2008 8:42 PM

from one Cobber to another--Go Cobbers! Great article!

Posted by: mom at February 6, 2008 12:34 PM

STM, we found you out, and now know who you are.

Posted by: CTM at February 6, 2008 4:14 PM

CTM and Kev in az; time to book your flights to Oregon.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/15127661.html

Posted by: STM at February 6, 2008 6:19 PM

Wow... STM... that was mature.

Did you bring your nephew over to help you figure out that rebuke?

Well, na nee na nee boo boo to you!!!

Posted by: zooomx at February 7, 2008 8:09 AM

I love the college mascots link.

The troll is awesome!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 7, 2008 8:38 AM