< Wait! I've got an idea! | Main | Welcome to the desert of the real >

Never let up

heisman_john.jpg John Heisman is more well known as a the namesake for the most famous trophy in college football than as a football coach. The Heisman trophy has been awarded since 1935, and was renamed in Heisman's honor in 1936. Heisman was the athletic director of the Downtown Athletic Club of New York at the time of his death.

Heisman coached football on and off at various universities and colleges from 1892-1927. He compiled an overall record of 185-68-18. He is most well known as the coach of Georgia Tech from 1904-1919.

As coach of Georgia Tech, Heisman was part of the most lopsided victory in the history of college football. In 1916, Georgia Tech beat Cumberland College 220-0. Apparently, the Cumberland College team had only been organized a week before the game, and the team only had 19 players.

A normal person might have the immediate impression that this score illustrates an extreme lack of sportsmanship on the part of Heisman. I would have to agree.

However, the score is somewhat explained by the attitude of Heisman who at halftime of the game, when the score was 126-0, Heisman is purported to have said:

"Men, don't let up. You never know what those Cumberland players have up their sleeves."

So, the lesson for the day: when you've got your opponent utterly defeated and demoralized, don't let up. That crafty jerk might be planning a comeback, and you don't want that.

That is all.

Posted by snackeru at February 7, 2008 6:56 AM

The Heisman? isn't that what Oputz gave the majority of Hennepin County?

Posted by: STM at February 7, 2008 4:28 PM

But Shane, Heisman's team did let up. They scored 126 points in the first half. In the second, they only scored 96. Who knows what would have happened if they'd run up the score!

Posted by: Jeff A at February 8, 2008 7:42 AM

I'm confused...is John Heisman the KMOTW or something?

Posted by: Snyder at February 8, 2008 5:00 PM

The question is, though, could the Cumberland coach recruit?

Posted by: SBG at February 11, 2008 11:23 AM

What a piece of crap. As usual, the residents of Hennepin County get the shaft. Millions diverted to infrastructure and Pohlad's paying millions for heated shelters inside the park. So much for you hardy "can't wait to get outdoors" fans.

This project is going down in history as the biggest bunch of pork ever.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/15558327.html

Posted by: bjork at February 12, 2008 9:04 PM

Opat says he "hopes the City and neighboring property owners step in to help improve the area around the stadium."

WHAT A DUFUS! The city never lifted a finger to get the stadium and hasn't even committed dime one to anything associated with it. On the contrary, they're sitting with their hand out looking for police and security reimbursement. And the neighboring property owners are busy scrapping for extra change to pay for the inevitable property tax increase.

Hey Opat, How does stadium crow taste?

Posted by: rick at February 13, 2008 11:20 AM

Stolen from the page header:

"We're getting a new Twins stadium and there is nothing you can do about it."

Editorial addition: :-P'''''

Posted by: Snyder at February 13, 2008 3:42 PM

The county is not out any more money, so what's the problem?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 13, 2008 4:45 PM

The county residents were promised one thing and are getting another....in this case, a substandard product for the same money. It's bad enough to get snookered, but now we're being snookered AND having our nose rubbed in it. Thanks Mike!

Posted by: fargas at February 13, 2008 5:17 PM

fargas,

Take I-94 west to Fargo, get on I-29 north until you cross the Canadian border. Continue northward until you reach Winnipeg...I think you'll be much happier there.

Posted by: CTM at February 13, 2008 5:21 PM

? why's that? the strengthening dollar? the universal health care? the Blue Bombers?

You wanted a stadium. The problem is you trusted Politicians and Pohlads to deliver it. doh!

Enjoy your "run in" heated sheds. What a joke!

Posted by: fargas at February 13, 2008 6:03 PM

Stadium critics whined about potential weather issues and that the open air stadium didn't address it. Now they are addessing some of them and they are whining that it's stupid to do so.

Nice way to flip-flop to find something new to bitch about. You continue to lose more and more credibility everyday.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 14, 2008 8:50 AM

Where are you coming from?, Hunyuck.

First of all, if you think these run in sheds are any type of accommodation to appease the anti stadium critics, you're a bigger moron than your name implies.

Second, the fact that Pohlads are spending more money on them and allowing neighborhood amenities to suffer from lack of or re-directed funding is proof that MOST of the teams fans were dissappointed by not addressing weather protection on the front end.

What I'm "whining" about is that fact. Most of the readers who are left here were staunch supporters of a stadium that flew in the face of the elements and screamed that the Twins would benefit by the huge support. The teams efforts and acknowledgement that they need to spend millions protecting their "fans" from that misguided position provide further proof you were wrong on many fronts.

There is no flip-flop.

Posted by: fargas at February 14, 2008 10:06 AM

Anti-stadium people won't be going to the games, so the accomodations are not for them. Seems pretty obvious. They are for the fans that go to the games.

How are MOST of the teams fans disappointed by the original design? I seem to recall that the fans loved the design. In changing some of the amenities is not an acknowledgement of failure by any stretch. So I guess to you any change in any plan means the original plan was a failure to you. Do you have these same guidelines in your own personal life? If so, I pity you.

As for your third whining point, it's silly. An improvement on a design does not mean the pro-stadium people were wrong on many fronts. The two have nothing to do with one another.

The first sign you won an argument is when the other side resorts to namecalling. You went there the first sentence to me, as fairly pathetic as it was. Better luck next time.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 14, 2008 12:07 PM

Anyone else have thoughts on Livan Hernandez?

I kind of like this move. He fills the veteran innings-eater role I thought Silva could fill before Seattle made that ridiculous contract offer.

Posted by: Snyder at February 14, 2008 2:37 PM

I don't see him really improving much on his numbers from last year. The Twins needed somebody though.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 14, 2008 2:46 PM

The new stadium is John Heisman's fault. :P

Posted by: SBG at February 14, 2008 3:45 PM

Snyder,

I followed Livan all last season here in PHX. He is basically Carlos Silva for half the price. He's an innings eater which this bullpen will need as the rest of the staff is pimple-faced.

Posted by: kevin in az at February 14, 2008 5:07 PM

Screw the stadium. The sports geeks won one, yeah. Now to the important stuff - Hillary or Obama?

Posted by: blue at February 14, 2008 5:49 PM

Obama Jo Mama BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: kevin in az at February 14, 2008 6:47 PM

I hear ya, but I think Hillary's going to make a move here leading up to TX and OH and I'm still sneaky suspicious that the nat'l media prefers her. At least on MSNBC.

Posted by: blue at February 14, 2008 7:30 PM

Wow, forget about Greet Machine for a while, come back and Cheesehead Craig is defending the Twins Ballpark! Way to go Craig, I always knew you had it in you. However that may be faint praise when going up against such an intellectual titan as fargas.

If I'm getting this straight, Fargas is arguing that because The Twins are paying for a couple ballpark extras out of their own pocket, somehow this demonstrates tha the ballpark supporters are a bunch of rubes. Also because the Twins will construct a couple of heated bus shelters in the concourses, we're all a bunch of wimps and that the whole idea of an outdoor ballpark was stupid.

Shane, I was wondering if you could install some sort of IQ test as part of the commenting procedure. It could work like those security words you sometimes have to type in to stop spammers from clogging the comments section of a blog. Instead of a word, perhaps an IQ question or two. If they don't pass the test, then their comment isn't posted. It would save us from the likes of Fargas and his insultingly stupid comments.

Posted by: Freealonzo at February 15, 2008 7:53 AM

So, you don't have a problem with the decision to add 30 (its more than a couple) heated bus shelters for millions of dollars (when combined with the soffit) instead of maintaining and improving the surrounding neighborhood as planned?

Posted by: dd at February 15, 2008 8:06 AM

dd,

If the bus shelters mean no $125,000,000+ ugly retractable roof and people from SoDak feel more comfortable coming to a game, I'm all for it.

As for neighborhood improvements, what does that mean exactly anyway? I'd like to see what those improvements entail. Anyway something like that seems like it should come from the City or County not from the Twins' pockets.

Posted by: Freealonzo at February 15, 2008 10:02 AM

The point was, it (neighborhood improvements) was budgeted, planned and promised and now, taken away. The 30 (43 foot!) heated bus shelters were added. Doesn't seem like a good trade off to me.

Posted by: dd at February 15, 2008 12:24 PM

I’m bored with reading about another publicly financed building I will never see. I’ll just add it to the long list of facilities such as libraries, LRT stations, bus stops, government centers, public schools and now baseball stadiums, that I’ll never use.

Conceding that the presidency will go to a democrat come November; who has the best plan? Do we (as a society) care about universal health care? Or the cost of health care only? Do we want everybody covered, whether they want it or not? Or everybody covered who wants to be covered? If we want everybody covered, is it worth sacrificing choice? Starting another huge government program and paying for it, out of our paychecks, through payroll deduction? Without a choice like Social security?

Is there a difference between being willing, and being able, to take our troops out of Iraq? Is mere desire enough? Or, if after winning the Presidency, its determined that a full scale withdrawal would cause more harm than good and therefore is not followed through on? What would that do? How would people feel about that?

How about the economy? Should the government freeze interest rates for those that got in over their head? If so, who pays for that and how? Do we want to set that precedent? Should I, as a stock holder in Wells Fargo, an investment I’m hoping will contribute to my retirement some day, be compensated for the inevitable decrease in my stock price, if government meddling causes it to go down?

What about illegal aliens? Amnesty? What should be done about it going forward? If anything?

All the candidates have very different takes on these issues. Which, in whole, do you prefer?

Posted by: blue at February 15, 2008 1:05 PM

I don't want to speak for Shane here, but what the hell....

Hey blue, I care a lot about those issues too but just not here. This was a blog to talk about the need for a new Twins ballpark, it moves in different directions sometimes but there is a general ballpark bent/vibe.

If you want to discuss those very important issues on-line there are approximately 387,000,000 other blogs where you can do that. Who knows, I might even bump into you at one of them.

Posted by: Freealonzo at February 15, 2008 1:10 PM

Just thought I'd try to fill the vacuum in news and get the personal takes of those that frequent this blog. Oh well. Later.

Posted by: blue at February 15, 2008 1:12 PM

DD, on the off chance you are actually wondering about the stadium improvements versus the surrounding area, and not just bitching for the sake of bitching: The reason they are improving the stadium while announcing shortfalls in the surrounding areas is simple. The Twins are on the hook for the stadium costs and stepped up and paid the over-run. The county is on the hook for the surrounding infrustructure, and is capped at spending $90 million total. So they can't add additional money for this at the current time, even if they wanted to. That's why they made reference to needing 'partners' i.e. the city of Minneapolis, to help out with those non-stadium costs.

So you're attempt to pin this as a negative on the Twins is simply incorrect. They are stepping up and upgrading the stadium. The surrounding infrustructure is not thier responsibility and the money is capped in the Legislation.

Posted by: David H. at February 15, 2008 6:45 PM

I understand that. But the 2 aren't mutually exclusive. From a PR standpoint; I would think the Twins have a vested interest in making sure that all that was promised is delivered. And in this instance, they chose to spend additional monies on heated bus shelters. That's their prerogative. I just think its a mistake.

Incase you weren't aware. These heated bus shelters are the latest "over and above" item the Twins are paying for, which is in addition to the previously announced 20 +/- million they had less of a say in. They aren't "on the hook" as in "cost overun" this is an amenity they chose to install.

Posted by: dd at February 15, 2008 8:23 PM

19 days of no posting

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 26, 2008 11:17 AM

It has been a long time. I hope Shane is just on vacation and has not been kidnapped by STM or his ilk. Just kidding.

Posted by: David H. at February 27, 2008 6:19 PM

hello...hello...echo...echo...

if STM commented during the past 2 weeks and no one was around to read it, would it still be a whining complaint?

Posted by: zooomx at February 28, 2008 2:53 PM

Day 22 and still no posts.

I saw Shane 2 days ago, he is still alive.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 29, 2008 9:52 AM

Well he did end his last post:

"That is all."

Posted by: Freealonzo at February 29, 2008 10:16 AM

Day 25, the drought continues...

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 3, 2008 8:42 AM