< Be afraid! | Main | I am a winner >

Favorite albums: 2007

Here they are:

1. Hollywood Town Hall by The Jayhawks -- Better late than never.
  2. In Rainbows by Radiohead -- OK In Rainbows.
  3. Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem -- Who didn't like this album? Phenomenal.
  4. Cease to Begin by Band of Horses -- "Is There a Ghost" well worth the price of admission.
  5. Armchair Apocrypha by Andrew Bird -- Don't like this album? You are an idiot.
  6. Challengers by The New Pornographers -- Neko Case steals the show.
  7. Fox Confessor Brings the Flood by Neko Case -- Speaking of Neko Case ...
  8. At War With the Mystics by The Flaming Lips -- Seeing them in concert gave me a new respect for this album.
  9. The Flying Cup Club by Beirut -- Not as good as Gulag Orkestar, but good enough
  10. Straight Outta Lynwood by Weird Al Yankovic -- Where is the respect for Weird Al?
  11. The Stage Names by Okkervil River -- Listened to this late 2007. Great album.

I have spoken.

Posted by snackeru at March 5, 2008 9:17 PM | Music

I've actually heard mixed reviews about that LCD Soundsystem album and have stayed away. However I heard a cool song on the Current and was at least intrigued. I guess I'll have to check it out.

Otherwise a pretty cool list. Whoda thunk it from a dorky white suburban dad who works in a library?

Posted by: Freealonzo at March 6, 2008 7:26 AM

Ahhh; to be so simple as to enjoy listening to music enough to have "favorite" songs, let alone albums. Very meaningful existence. Isn't the music industry dead or dying? just like libraries? I have a very hard time believing that there are any remaining emotional or economic states of mind that haven't been addressed or expressed in song already, from the 80's.

Posted by: jaminezhuffalump at March 6, 2008 9:39 AM

Huh. I'm glad I could provide you some amusement (?) this morning. I take it you are above such trivial things like enjoying music. Good for you, I guess. I'm always amazed by how some people can take their own opinions, and prejudices, and extrapolate them against an entire industry or profession. The music industry is "dead"? People in music may not be making as much money as they did before the internet, but there is a ton of music still being made. One could even argue that music is more accessible thanks to the internet. I would say the music industry is changing, not dying. I'm still enjoying the music that is being produced. I find it sad that you seem to be too jaded to do the same.

Libraries are "dying" too, huh? I will admit that academic libraries are rapidly changing. 10 years from now academic libraries will look much different than they look like now. But your statement reveals a simplistic ignorance of the profession. Do you think the only thing libraries have to offer are books? Do you think that everyone has the money for a computer and an internet connection? Public libraries are a long way off from dying. A long, long way off. Again, I'm guessing since you don't use libraries you think no one else needs to either.

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that. Maybe you just got up on the wrong side of the bed or something. Have a good one!

Posted by: Shane at March 6, 2008 10:09 AM

Speaking of libraries (which btw, are alive, thriving, and tre cool jaminezhuffalump) did you see that the Hennepin County Libraries are going to add Sunday hours to the Mpls system using $$$ collected from the ballpark sales tax?

So just think Shane, when you go out and buy that Freewheelin' Bob Dylan CD that I-tunes can't provide for you not only are you paying for a brand spanking new Twins ballpark, you're supporting libraries! Shane, your life is truly blessed.

Posted by: Freealonzo at March 6, 2008 10:29 AM

Free, the best song on the LCD Soundsystem by far is "Someone Great." Take a listen.

And the thought that two things I am passionate about, the Twins ballpark and libraries, are converging and complimenting each other is almost too much for me to take.

In fact, my work on this earth is done. I personally have reached the apex of the cone of time. Everything else is gravy.

Now all I need is for STM to disagree with something about this and I will attain nirvana.

Posted by: Shane at March 6, 2008 11:07 AM

Lost amid the negativity of the Johan trade was the earlier trade with the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays for Delmon Young. He's looking so good even Reusse had to admit it!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/16320996.html

And for JH, may I suggest you look at moving to one of the Dakotas (that's states, not the county). Either has all of what you like about Medina and you won't have to worry about "subsidizing" the rest of us so much. And since the Vikings are the de facto NFL franchise for both states as well, you can still bleed purple, too.

Posted by: Snyder at March 6, 2008 2:00 PM

LCD Soundsystem but no Arcade Fire? Really? While some of their stuff is alright, a lot of LCD Soundsystem just makes my ears bleed.

Posted by: Will Young at March 6, 2008 8:37 PM

I don't know what it is Will. I just don't like Arcade Fire. And the good of LCD Soundsystem goes a long way to make up for the bad, at least in my book.

Say, did you like Boxer by The National? I'm really grooving to that right now.

Posted by: Shane at March 6, 2008 9:40 PM

Hey Will, I included Arcade Fire in my list. Take a look:

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/carls064/freealonzo/2007/12/music_2007.html

Posted by: Freealonzo at March 6, 2008 9:43 PM

Shoot. This jaminez character is STM. Nice work STM. You duped me. Having said that, I'm going to make this an STM free zone from now on. I can't take these same old tired arguments anymore. STM, do you have any friends? Family? Do your wife or kids even like you? Do they like this know-it-all, holier than thou, attitude? I can't imagine they do. Well, I'm done with it. Have a good one.

Posted by: Shane at March 7, 2008 8:27 AM

Good luck STM. You can keep on posting, and I'll keep on deleting. And I'm not hindering your first amendment rights. You are more than free to post somewhere else.

Besides, since libraries are going away (like you say) there will be no one to protect against censorship. I'm just getting a head start on that.

Posted by: Shane at March 7, 2008 10:48 AM

Look on the bright side, Shane.

Now you can say you've reached your nirvana, even if it came under false pretenses. :-)

Posted by: Snyder at March 7, 2008 10:55 AM

True Snyder. Very true.

I have reached a higher plane! Thanks STM! Now go away.

Posted by: Shane at March 7, 2008 10:59 AM