< Don't Meet Me in St. Louis | Main | The greatest picture I think I have ever seen in my life >

Let me put it this way ...

site3-31-08.jpg
The ballpark site at 7:30 this morning
sitesnow.jpgThe ballpark site at 11:00. Gotta love Minnesota.

Let me put it this way, I find it very painful going into the Metrodome on a beautiful sunny day. By comparison, going to the new ballpark on a snowy day won't be painful at all.

In fact, if it is snowing on opening day in 2010, I will still be happy beyond belief.

And as Cheesehead Craig as already pointed out, don't eat the yellow snow.

That is all.

Posted by snackeru at March 31, 2008 11:04 AM

I can handle some bad weather. It's the fact that the new stadium slides several hundred yards north during a snow storm that really scares me.

Posted by: Tim R. at March 31, 2008 11:41 AM

This ain't no big thang. Cleveland had several games snowed out last year and even played a couple at the Monstrosity in Milwaukee. I'm pretty sure that the locals in Cleveland are still okay with Jacobs Field.

Posted by: SBG at March 31, 2008 12:20 PM

I agree and even blogged a little on it myself (click name). I have a friend from South Dakota, however, who is adamant that a roof should have been built. Can't convince him otherwise. Oh well.

Posted by: Freealonzo at March 31, 2008 12:45 PM

Honestly, who cares about having to cancel a game or three early in the year (assuming we don't just postpone the home opener)? The idea of playing the game OUTSIDE trumps just about any dome argument. I love the idea of coming back to work after a noon game with a sunburn.

Posted by: Tim R. at March 31, 2008 1:14 PM

LOL! That is awesome Tim! Nice catch on the pic.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 31, 2008 1:55 PM

Shane - I agree, and wrote the same today.

Posted by: Jeff T. at March 31, 2008 3:56 PM

I'm at the opener where Go-Go Gomez just led off with a double for his first hit as a Twin! Yahoo!

Posted by: Snyder at March 31, 2008 6:19 PM

Free,

Tell your friend in SD to plan his trip to Minneapolis between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Sure, there may be a thunderstorm, but there's never an all-day washout that time of the year.

Posted by: kevin in az at April 1, 2008 10:43 AM

Hey Snyder, did you see my 7th grader at the game? He was the blonde with the Twins sweatshirt and Twins cap on.

Posted by: Freealonzo at April 1, 2008 11:15 AM

Sadly, I didn't.

I was probably to preoccupied with trying to keep up with the blur from Gomez rounding the bases.

And as much as I love Torii, I gotta say it was nice to have the Twins be the beneficiary of his giant hacks for a change. :-)

Posted by: Snyder at April 1, 2008 2:31 PM

Sadly, I didn't.

I was probably too preoccupied with trying to keep up with the blur from Gomez rounding the bases.

That place looks like a big bowl of butter.

Posted by: SBG at April 2, 2008 2:55 PM

Shane,

With the legislature cutting the 2 million for a Vikings stadium study, where do you stand on this whole mess?

Personally, I agree with the politicos who are saying it doesn't make sense for the state to get involved at all until a local partner (county/city) gets involved. I think this is totally different than the Twins stadium deal in many ways. Especially in terms of the financial health of all NFL franchises due to the TV package. I can't see anyway that the Wilfs are going to be able to gather much public sentiment to substantially help them build a stadium.

Posted by: zooomx at April 3, 2008 8:59 AM

zooomx, good points.

I'm actually putting together some thoughts on the Vikings situation. Keep an eye out for it!

Posted by: Shane at April 3, 2008 11:05 AM

I didn't realize the Twins also lost Justin Morneau over the offseason. Where has he been????

Posted by: kevin in az at April 4, 2008 7:41 PM

So what will be the big stadium announcement for Tuesday? I say an All-Star game for 2015.

Posted by: LRW at April 6, 2008 10:33 PM

Spoke too soon KiA, Morneau is now on a pace for 162 RBI's and 40 HRs! :o)

Posted by: Freealonzo at April 7, 2008 7:40 AM

Yes....It's about time!!

Posted by: kevin in az at April 7, 2008 8:27 AM

Freealonzo,

Tell your friend in SD that he needs to see a retractable ballpark before he judges too quickly. I am a firm believer in an outdoor ballpark because sitting in a retractable roof facility is like sitting inside a can of soup. The only way you know you are outside is to look straight up, or potentially through some glass in the outfield. I have yet to see Miller Park, but have been to Safeco, and despite how beautiful that place is, you have no skyline view, no mountain view, just a view of the support structure for the roof. Now, Seattle gets so much rain, that they have to have one, but we have the same temps and precipitation during the baseball season as Detroit, and they seem to be getting along just fine.

Derek

Posted by: Derek at April 9, 2008 11:50 AM

Derek,

I get it, you get... it but all my Sodakian friend cares about is having a warm place to watch a game if he drives 5 hours to get here. Not saying he's right but I know he could care less about the view. Something I'll appreciate as I freeze my ass off in Kansas City this coming weekend.

Posted by: Freealonzo at April 9, 2008 1:21 PM

Kooobbbsss!!!

Yahoo! Nothing like getting a slam against the White Sox, except maybe the Yankees.

Posted by: Snyder at April 9, 2008 9:23 PM

I am coming around to the idea it is better without a roof as well. I have relatives in SD who share the same concerns and claim they may not come anymore. But they came to Met Stadium, so they'll come to Land O Lakes field. The Twins will have to be creative in how they market to the group sales for out-state and out-of-state groups though. These groups will be very hesitant to come without the guarantee the game will get played. But it's nothing some 'rain-check' passes to Camp Snoopy (or whatever it's called now) can't overcome.

Posted by: David H. at April 10, 2008 8:07 PM

For the travellers concerned about the lack of a roof on the stadium, do they only go on vacation to places that are completely inside?

I was at a Yankees game a few years ago and it was 45 with a light drizzle for most of the game. I don't think at any point I was upset with the Yankees for not having a roof on the stadium.

Posted by: IowaWigman at April 11, 2008 11:30 AM

Who else besides me saw the story this week about concessions at the new ballpark?

Anyone else excited by the prospect of walleye tacos? :-)

Posted by: Snyder at April 11, 2008 3:14 PM

Chiming in on the Viking stadium talk...... I just can't fathom a $950 million retractable roof facility with $700 million funded by the public. Zygi has spoken openly that he'd prefer an outdoor stadium, right? Why doesn't he just build an outdoor stadium which would be atleast 1/3 less $$$ than the proposed $950 million palace? Then taxpayers would be on the hook for $250-$350 million. This is manageable. If Minneapolis wants to fuss about no roof, Zygi can tell them to GF themselves and he can go build it in Bloomington. This is a no-brainer.

Posted by: Johny at April 12, 2008 2:44 AM

Adding to my comments above.......as I stated, taxpayers would be on the hook for $250-$350 million, ASSUMING Zygi sticks with the $250 million figure he's already pledged.

Posted by: Johny at April 12, 2008 2:50 AM

Where I get lost on the Vikings stadium is that if the roof adds $200M or so to the price tag like I think I've read, what the heck else is this thing gonna have that it would cost $700M+ since that's about what the Gopher stadium and Twins ballpark are costing combined?

Posted by: Snyder at April 12, 2008 7:18 PM

Two comments:

Freealonzo, maybe try this with your friend: I love SoDakians, but since they paid $0 for the new ballpark, then I have a hard time justifying a roof for them, or any out-Staters for that matter. A roof was not possible unless the Twins were willing to pay for it. The public funding wasn't going any higher than $390M. And, they determined it wasn't going to pay for itself, and have since had to chip in another $75M or so for the land dispute and additional amenities.

Snyder: I also love the walleye tacos idea. On the Vikings stadium, even an open-air facility is $700M+ these days. Just think, 10 years ago, it could have been done for about half that. The Giants-Jets combined open-air will be about $1.5B and costs continue to rise. The reason this thing costs about the same as the Gophers and Twins combined is because it would be about the same size as the two combined, and we have had inflation. Even the seating of about 70,000 is nearly as large as the combined seating of the Twins 40,000 and Gophers 50,000. The prices of materials are just skyrocketing.

Posted by: Derek at April 16, 2008 10:44 AM