< Boys and video games | Main | I'm working on something ... >

Torii who?

gomez.jpg

Wow. I like this Gomez kid. If you'll recall, I thought Span did well enough to get the CF job, but the more I see of Gomez the more I am reminded at why I am not in the business of evaluating baseball talent.

Posted by snackeru at April 20, 2008 5:49 PM

I agree that Gomez brings a lot of energy to the line-up. It is difficult, though, to see Hunter playing so well in LA. I wish they would have traded him last year, because they had to know it was going to be impossible to sign him.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 20, 2008 8:10 PM

Torii was very replaceable in the field. That is being made abundantly clear this season.

His bat was not worth what he was paid.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 21, 2008 11:07 AM

That was a great catch. He's really struggling at the plate though. I'm not sure we did him any favors by promoting him to the major league club before he was ready.

Posted by: Dave T at April 21, 2008 11:51 AM

That was a helluva catch.

Posted by: Kurtis at April 21, 2008 2:00 PM

Youth plus talent plus desire equal champions

Posted by: Ghost at April 21, 2008 3:02 PM

I didn't know Pohlad went by the "Cheesehead Craig" moniker? Everbody is worth exactly what they get paid, no less and no more.

Posted by: torrence at April 21, 2008 9:39 PM

Seriously torrence?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 22, 2008 10:46 AM

While I agree it would have been nice to get something for Torii by trading him rather than letting him walk, I think it's worth noting that we probably would have gotten even less than we did for Johan.

Since Torii wasn't signed beyond the end of the season, it would have basically been a rent-a-player deal and nobody would have offered any top prospects.

The backlash from getting low-level prospects might have been even worse than from letting him walk.

Posted by: Snyder at April 22, 2008 2:40 PM

Yeah! Cheesehead Pohlad! Why don't you keep your crazy ideas about MLB player salaries to yourself! Don't choke on your silver spoon!

Posted by: Shane at April 22, 2008 8:43 PM

Don't make me take my million dollar foot and kick you in the @$$, Shaney.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 23, 2008 4:29 PM

Funny, Shane praises him and then Go Go goes on an 1-18 streak.

Cheeshead Pohlad, maybe you can give some of your extra $$$ to the Brewers when Prince Fielder demands Santana money. Otherwise looks like we'll see Fielder in a Red Sox jersey in the near future. Wonder what cute Big Papi-like nickname they will come up for him?

Posted by: Freealonzo at April 25, 2008 1:17 PM

Testing

Posted by: F at April 25, 2008 1:48 PM

Nobody is hitting right now, so I don't think Shane's praise had anything to do with Go-Go's slump. At least he homered yesterday.

I was thinking Fielder could get a nickname that played off the Spanish translation for Prince, but Google says it translates to Prince so that's no fun...I suppose it would be too mean to call him "La Cerveza" though.

Posted by: Snyder at April 25, 2008 3:53 PM

Testing

Posted by: Shane at April 25, 2008 9:58 PM

What are we testing?

Posted by: kevin in az at April 26, 2008 12:19 PM

Did anyone see who City Pages had listed as the best columnist? Our friend Nick Coleman...click my name for the link.

Posted by: MOJO at April 26, 2008 4:51 PM

Testing

Posted by: Shane at May 8, 2008 9:50 AM

Testing

Posted by: Shane at May 8, 2008 10:40 AM