< Torii who? | Main | Sabotage! >

I'm working on something ...

Should be of interest to Gopher football fans:

I have a project in the works. This is just an experiment. Kind of interesting though.

Posted by snackeru at April 26, 2008 7:34 PM

That was pretty cool. Can't believe they missed two PATs. Mason would have found a way to lose, but it was good to see the Gophs win a close game (albeit 70 years ago).

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 27, 2008 5:12 PM

But they did hit a field goal. Hence the score 15-0. I just didn't put that clip in.

Also, technically I should have named the clip "Washington vs. Minnesota" since this was at Memorial Stadium.

I'm going to see if I can dig up some Bruce Smith or Bronko Nagurski next.

Posted by: Shane at April 27, 2008 5:22 PM

By the way, the footage features the running of Larry Buhler. Not as famous as Nagurski, Smith, or Pug Lund, but a phenomenal running back in his own right.

And if you don't like the music (ha!), just turn down the volume. The original footage doesn't come with any sound.

Posted by: Shane at April 27, 2008 6:16 PM

Granted, I have not seen much footage from 1938, but didn't every team pretty much run the ball back then?

I just read an article in SI over the weekend about Raymond Berry being the prototype for the modern wide receiver and he played in the 50's and 60's.

Posted by: Snyder at April 28, 2008 4:47 PM

Thanks for including this Shane. This is great. I am a big Gopher football fan, and love the history (partly because that's where all our glory is) and the old footage.

Incidentally, I am predicting a 5-7 finish this year, and although that may be a tad optimistic, I think it's achievable. We have some really good home and home matchups in the coming seasons. Next year, we host Air Force and Cal at the new stadium. We have a home and home with Colorado, Washington State, and Oregon State in the future as well. So, perhaps the days of the true cupcakes will be behind us after 2008. But, unfortunately, we lost to one this past season in Florida Atlantic. Anyway, I am rambling now. Go Gophers!

Derek

Posted by: Derek at May 1, 2008 4:17 PM

Also, check out the construction cams on www.Gophersports.com

http://www1.umn.edu/stadium/index.php

The Gopher stadium is really taking shape.

Posted by: Derek at May 2, 2008 9:57 AM

I'm still ticked they're going with plastic grass rather than natural grass. Might as well play indoors if they're going to play on an artificial surface. I want to see dirty uniforms and smell the grass. That's just part of football to me.

Posted by: Johny at May 12, 2008 12:02 AM

Hello? Anybody here?

Posted by: Jasper at May 16, 2008 5:51 PM

Happy Syttende Mai, Shane!

Posted by: Snyder at May 17, 2008 10:15 AM