< I resemble that remark | Main | Kitchen remodel >

Open Letter to Glen Taylor

UPDATE 6/30/08: The dust has settled and it is becoming more and more clear that McHale actually made a good move here. I retract my comments below.

By the way, the open letter below was written because I was so sick of seeing peoples' lame reactions to the trade like "You suck McFail!" The letter below was my attempt to write something as civilized as I could that expressed my disappointment. And I was disappointed, no doubt about it.

Jon Marthaler has set me straight though. Nice work Jon!

_______________________

Dear Mr. Taylor:

I have waited in the hope that an abler pen than mine might take up my subject and say a word on behalf of Timberwolves fans everywhere. I conclude, however, that sufficient interest is not taken in our plight as we are continually treated in a most disrespectful manner. Notwithstanding this general private discontent, we unfortunately as a body of fans regard the existing state of things as unacceptable, and wish to resolutely stand against the injustice done us.

The fact of the matter is that we are suffering from a great evil which is in urgent need of redressing.

Of course, I am speaking of the continued employment of one Kevin McHale. To deny his own prodigious on-court basketball skill would be irresponsible. However, his skill in the role of General Manager of the basketball club known as the "Timberwolves" is criminally poor at best. In fact, one would not be inaccurate to describe his management of team affairs as comparable to a monkey attempting to use a computer. One can see the monkey pushing all manner of buttons, but does the monkey understand the effect all this button-pushing is having?

Concerning the evening prior, I retired to bed feeling relatively peaceful with the knowledge that Mr. McHale had selected a basketball player, Mr. Oventin J'Anthony Mayo, that not only had a reasonable level of talent, but that also may cause me to actually purchase a ticket to see a game in the coming months. The following morning, however, I was aghast to read that the Timberwolves, whilst I slept with unaccustomed contentedness at the previous days proceedings, had traded Mr. Mayo for one Kevin Love. My good feelings suddenly evaporated only to have sorrow and anger take their place.

Kevin Love may be a fine player, but I can't seem to replace the visages of Luc Longley and Felton Spencer from my thoughts. It is my sincerest hope that I may be wrong in this matter, but history would seem to suggest that to be a Timberwolves fan is similar to being Sysiphus continually pushing a boulder up the same hill. Needless to say, this is getting extremely tiring. O.J. Mayo promised a certain level of excitement, while Kevin Love, and the other detritus in the form of "players" that comes with him, seems to promise nothing more than continued pain and suffering.

Far be it from me to prevaricate about the proverbial bush, so let me make my case in as blunt a fashion as I am able to muster: please terminate the employment of Kevin McHale at once! Our suffering as fans has reached an excruciating apex from which we may not be able to descend. For this fan, at least, this trade may be the straw that has finally broken the dromedary's back.

In conclusion, sir, I am aware that in writing this letter to you I am probably doing little more than 'butting my head against a stone wall.' Now I am not quite sanguine enough to think that the wall against which I am butting my head will give way at least with my solitary 'butt.' Nevertheless, sir, I am determined to butt my head against it. Indeed, I feel it to be personally degrading and a disgrace upon me to remain silent and submit without a protest to the injustice done me and other fans of the Timberwolves.

So, please. For the love of all that is good and holy: Fire Kevin McHale. This has gone on long enough and is starting to make the New York Knickerbocker basketball club look like a model of sound management.

Sincerely,

Shane

Posted by snackeru at June 27, 2008 6:37 PM

Um, Shane. This letter would seem to imply that Kevin McHale is employed by the Minnesota Timberwolves and not the Boston Celtics.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jett T. at June 27, 2008 4:53 PM

It also implies that Kevin McHale is the GM of the Timberwolves. Jim Stack is the GM. Kevin McHale is the VP of Operations.

And it implies that this was a bad trade, which a lot of smart basketball fans and writers would disagree with. Go check out Canis Hoopus or Britt Robson's On the Ball blog at The Rake.

You might want to take Free's advice and stick to baseball, Shane. :-)

Posted by: Snyder at June 27, 2008 5:09 PM

Snyder, if the objective is to win more games than last year, then yeah it was a good trade. But the Wolves drafted a player which has the potential to be a superstar. Someone to fill the shoes left empty by KG and they traded him for a rack of underinflated basketballs.

Whoopty doo, so the Wolves might win 10-15 more games next year, it won't matter in the west. They'll still miss the playoffs and will have a lousier draft position due to having more meaningless wins. I really hope Mayo wins ROY now.

Miami is a better team now too so those 2 2nd rounders they traded for will probably be lower in the 2nd round and not as good as Chalmers if they had kept him.

That franchise is a trainwreck. Hopefully they'll pack up and leave town so we can tear down the ugly Target Center in time for the new ballpark to open. I hate thinking about having to look at that eyesore as I sit in the upper level down the 3rd baseline.

Posted by: kevin in az at June 27, 2008 5:16 PM

It's not like Mayo is the next LeBron or even the next D-Wade, so in that case, giving him up in order to get Memphis to take Jaric off our hands seems pretty good.

I wish Love was three or four inches taller, but I'd much rather have the roster the Wolves have now than the one they had two days ago. Love and Big Al will still make an undersized 4/5 tandem, but it's still an improvement over the Gomes and Big Al tandem we saw so much last season. Now if they re-sign Gomes, he can focus on playing at the 3. Plus, Collins is an improvement over Doleac or Chris Richard, at least defensively.

Miller is a definite improvement for the roster. He's a much more legit scorer and rebounder than Jaric who opposing teams are much less likely to leave wide-open from three-point land, which means they're not triple-teaming Big Al. And if they do leave him open, you can have some semblence of hope he'll actually hit the shot, unlike Jaric.

I hope Miami is better next year, since that will give the Wolves three first round picks (theirs, Miami's and Boston's), which will let the Wolves fill more needs as contracts expire or put something together to move up.

Posted by: Snyder at June 27, 2008 6:25 PM

We wont have 3 picks next year because i think we have to give the clippers the one we owe them for that marko and cassell trade.

Posted by: Derek at June 27, 2008 10:53 PM

They still can't play defense Snyder.

Posted by: kevin in az at June 27, 2008 11:15 PM

Well let's keep in mind that OJ Mayo has grand ambitions and will not be pleased in a small market whether that be Minnesota or now Memphis. That was made clear before the draft. He wants shoe deals, endorsements, and throughout his young career he has aimed for situations that would increase his exposure / fame (largely why he went to USC).

So...I admit OJ Mayo is probably the better talent, but if he is only going to stay until his contract runs out (he'll probably want to get traded before then anyway) than what is the point of getting another Stephon Marbury situation on our hands? At least we are getting 2010 cap relief and someone to fill one of the biggest holes for the Twolves since Wally left - high volume high efficiency 3 pt shooting.

Sure they have a small front line and won't be able to defend the paint, but that second round pick may shore that up (granted in a few years). Until then they have a tremendously skilled offensive big rotation and now should be winning 30-40 games a year. Still not the playoffs but the rebuilding process at least looks a little more fleshed out than it did last year for example.

Posted by: pat at June 28, 2008 1:43 AM

And OJ Mayo by himself was going to turn them into a defensive team? I know he's supposed to be a good defender, but I highly doubt that.

Derek is right that the Wolves still owe a pick to the Clippers, but it's lottery-protected, so if they do give it up, it'll be another sign they are at least heading in the right direction.

Posted by: Snyder at June 28, 2008 11:18 AM

Wow, Shane did you get a thesaurus for Father's day?

I think the best way to look at this trade is that we got 2 players (Love, Miller) for 1 (Mayo). Plus the bonus of no more Jarko.

Posted by: freealonzo at June 28, 2008 11:25 AM

Um just so everyone knows, glen taylor took action on this trade. Read up in the newspapers. It was all glen taylor.

Posted by: tm at June 29, 2008 6:06 PM

Man you credit that guy with persuading you yet I said the same damn thing in my comment above before that!

Posted by: pat at July 1, 2008 10:48 AM

You can never tell what the next season will bring. Well just have to wait and see.

Posted by: Learn Spanish in Mexico at July 11, 2008 9:29 AM

Anyone else think the latest Nick Coleman anti-ballpark screed warrants a new Greet Machine post?

Posted by: Snyder at July 17, 2008 10:34 PM