< Open Letter to Glen Taylor | Main | Gophers stadium and a reality check >

Kitchen remodel

So, sorry for the silence, but for the past month (or two) my house has been in shambles. You see, we remodeled our kitchen. If you've never done this yourself before, it really throws you off your groove. Not having a kitchen for even a couple of days really stinks, but not having a kitchen for almost two months? Yikes.

Anyway, here is what my old kitchen looked like. This is the "front" of the kitchen. Note that it had a peninsula that jutted out into the middle of the floor and a vintage 1950s pink GE oven. I believe the oven was original to the house (built in 1957):

oldfrontkitchen.jpg

This is a picture looking at the backside of the kitchen (and peninsula). Note the "granny" style tile flooring:

oldbackkitchen.jpg

This is a picture of the crappy counter top that we had to put up with for 5 years. Note that the last time this kitchen was remodeled the people doing the remodeling (in their infinite wisdom) decided to take the counter and stretch it all the way up the wall. Also note that the counter started to peel off the wall all over the kitchen. It was ugly.

oldcounter.jpg

Finally, this is a picture of the sink and window. Ugly, old, and in desperate need of re-doing.

oldwindowkitchen.jpg

Here is the new kitchen. All new cabinets (Dura-Supreme), bamboo wood flooring, new appliances (Maytag), new front window, new lights, and counters (Corian). I do believe it is an improvement. Also note that we did away with the peninsula to give more room for the dining room table.

newbackkitchen.jpg

A shot of the back of the kitchen:

newbackdoor.jpg

One of the highlights of the new kitchen is a "boot bench" for the family to hang coats and put on ... well, to put on our boots. Pretty slick, heh?

newbootbench.jpg

This is a shot of the front of the kitchen. Having a brand new oven and stove has been amazing.

newfrontkitchen.jpg

Finally, a close up of the new flooring. Along with bamboo wood flooring (which is cheaper and more environmentally friendly), we found some Travertine tile at a discount tile center. So, we put that at the front door and the back door. It looks quite nice actually.

So, that is the new kitchen. We had to eat into our home equity to do it, but I'd like to think we got most of it back by improving this very important room.

Until next time! Hopefully it won't another month from now!

Posted by snackeru at July 27, 2008 7:13 PM

Wow, that looks great. Enjoy it!

Posted by: Moe at July 28, 2008 9:14 AM

I really like the frig. You have to tell me how the bottom drawer works out. Also the painting looks really sharp.

Posted by: Jeff Silvios at July 28, 2008 9:48 AM

Congrats! I may have to consult with you when I get around to remodeling my kitchen. A recent house assessment referred to it as "dated" which is probably appropriate since it was last remodeled in the early 1970's.

Posted by: Snyder at July 28, 2008 10:50 AM

Having been in Shane's house both before, after and during the remodeling I can say this is a HUGE improvement. I cannot wait to dance in it after the annual WI whippings of the MN teams in football.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 28, 2008 11:20 AM

From STM -

It is an outrage that those who benefit from a new stadium (like Shane) magically now have the financial resources to re-do their kitchens. Isn't it ironic? I demand that an independent and impartial investigator (Nick Coleman perhaps) follow the tax money and see how it found it's way into a certain Librarian's pocket.

P.S. (also from STM) - C'mon Shane... let me back on the site. I can only flip off senior citizen drivers and snarl at little kids in Walmart for so long before it just plain gets old. I promise to behave... really I do!

Posted by: zooomx at July 28, 2008 2:08 PM

LOL, zooomx!!!

Posted by: Snyder at July 28, 2008 8:27 PM

The new kitchen looks great, but I was partial to the pink stove...

Curt in Grand Fors

Posted by: Curt Hanson at July 28, 2008 9:03 PM

Right now I am staying on the lower east side of NYC, here you could probably sell that pink stove for $5000.

Posted by: freealonzo at July 29, 2008 8:36 AM

We thought about selling the pink oven, but 1) it was in pretty rough shape, and 2) I saw the exact same oven (in great condition) selling on eBay for a pittance. And with difficulty. So, we just got rid of it. I may live to regret it, but for now ignorance is bliss.

Funny stuff, zooomx. For a minute there I actually started to worry. Boy, if they ever followed the money trail they would find that I have received two "Opening Day 2010" t-shirts and a Twins hat. I wish the gravy train would come my way, but I'm not banking on it!

Posted by: Shane at July 29, 2008 8:46 AM

All kidding aside Shane, the kitchen looks awesome!

Any thoughts on the most recent Vikings proposal?

Posted by: zooomx at July 29, 2008 11:26 AM

You got TWO Opening Day 2010 shirts? Man, I only got the one from Ramsey Excavating a week and a half ago.

And you forgot the sweet poster I gave you from the Groundbreaking Ceremony. You know that's going to be a valuable collectible some day! :-)

Posted by: Snyder at July 29, 2008 3:51 PM

I love a good remodeling. It looks amazing! Though, the pink stove was a good touch...

Posted by: Bathroom Pedestal Sink at May 3, 2010 4:52 AM

This is a really big improvement, your kitchen looks much better. Though honestly, I do miss the pink oven :)

Posted by: Tile Flooring at May 19, 2010 10:56 AM