< For future reference ... | Main | Water Wars >

August 7, 2008

Movies I have to stop and watch

These are the movies that when I see them on TV I have to stop and watch. I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

1. Mr. and Mrs. Smith
  2. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
  3. A Christmas Story
  4. Back to the Future
  5. The Shawshank Redemption
  6. The Matrix
  7. The Princess Bride
  8. Fight Club
  9. Napoleon Dynamite
  10. Hoosiers

And when Hot Fuzz finally gets shown on TV, that will probably jump to the top of the list!

I have spoken.

Posted by snackeru at August 7, 2008 8:37 PM | Lists

Comments

I just actually got Bill & Ted on DVD. Came as a set with "Bogus Journey" so now I just have to find time to sit down and watch them.

I can't believe you put Napoleon Dynamite ahead of Shawshank! Disgraceful!

Posted by: Snyder at August 7, 2008 6:02 PM

The Big Lebowski, for sure. But it has to be unedited.

Posted by: Jett T. at August 7, 2008 8:50 PM

You know, Hoosiers doesn't do a whole lot for me and I have to see Fight Club unedited. Most of those movies above I will to stick around to see a specific scene or two but usually won't watch the whole flick.

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 8, 2008 7:25 AM

Perhaps I am the only one on the planet who doesn't care for either Napoleon Dynamite nor the Princess Bride. I would sub in Field of Dreams and Rudy, with Field of Dreams being number 1. I hooked my kids on the Back to Future trilogy after a marathon showing on TBS last year. My wife hates those movies, so she loved the fact that the kids and I spent all day watching them.

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 8, 2008 10:22 AM

What? No Jean Claude Van Damme movies? This list is hereby deemed as garbage.

Kumite!

KUMITE!!!!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 8, 2008 10:23 AM

great list Shane!

Other thoughts in no particular order:

Tombstone
Raising Arizona
Spinal Tap
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Silverado
The Professional

Posted by: zooomx at August 8, 2008 11:32 AM

And don't forget "Cool As Ice" (aka the Vanilla Ice movie)! Shane and I watched that for a film appreciation class way back in the day, and were awed by Vanilla Ice's cinematic genius.

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 8, 2008 3:06 PM

How could any list NOT include the Bourne movies? BEST MOVIES EVER MADE!

Posted by: bruce at August 14, 2008 12:18 PM

Ahh A Christmas Story. When they play it for 24 hours straight on TBS around the holidays I catch myself watching it far more times than should be allowed.

Posted by: Emily at August 14, 2008 8:18 PM

The Princess Bride, The Shawshank Redemption, Rudy, The Matrix, Apollo 13 (mostly Sheenie's fault), and The Sting are the movies that both are frequently on TV and always sucker me in.

Posted by: Will Young at August 15, 2008 9:33 PM

Some good online movie & DVD reviews can be found at TheReviewList.com. They also have good deals with Film Movement, a DVD of the month club for award-winning independent and foreign films.

Posted by: Movie Reviewer at October 30, 2008 2:21 AM