< Gopher Football has been around a long time | Main | What are you talking about, State Fair Board? >

The lakes of Minnesota are filled with the tears of Vikings fans

Different year, same story. Let's take a look at some of the obvious things we learned tonight:

I must say that most of my derision, however, is reserved for Brad Childress. Pathetic play calling, poor preparation, and an unexplainable faith in Tarvaris Jackson.

But what probably upsets me the most is the fact that he just doesn't care enough. This is the Packers! Childress doesn't care nearly as much about beating the Packers as he should. Watching him on the sideline I can't tell if he is watching a church softball league game or coaching an NFL football game against his team's biggest rival. Childress is 0-5 against the Packers. How is this acceptable? Speaking for all Viking fans, I can assure you it is not.

This year the Vikings need to get far into the playoffs. This is important not just to make the fans happy, but the very survival of the team in Minnesota may depend on it. I know it is early, but I can't see a team led by someone as unimaginative and apathetic as Brad Childress getting very far.

And that is very depressing. Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow.

UPDATE (Tuesday morning): Nope. I don't feel better.

Posted by snackeru at September 8, 2008 10:05 PM

This was well written. The management and coaching staff of the Vikings need to provide answers for their lack of creativity. If I could not create business practices that were effective and stragetic I would not be employed. How is Brad Childress continuing as the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings? He is not creative, he is not effective, he has not established stragetic business practices to utilize the talent that he has been provided within the MN Vikings organization. Is he looking to retire and driving the Vikings into the ground is part of his exit?

Posted by: Taivas at September 9, 2008 7:39 AM

See Shane, this is why you shouldn't care about the Vikings. They either frustrate the hell out of you or they break your heart. Come and join the team of carefree casual Vikings fans. If you need something to worry about I have a Twins bullpen to talk to you about.

I guess I am in the minority thinking that Tjack didn't play too badly -- well except for that last interception, what was that?

But I do agree that this is the Packers, Jesus 5 losses in a row?! Come on Chilly maybe you need more than Jerry Burns swearing at everyone to pump up the team. Just a thought.

Posted by: Freealonzo at September 9, 2008 7:51 AM

If Childress doesn't take this team to the playoffs he should be fired. If he isn't then Zygi Wilf is himself a moron. Sadly we will have to suffer through this year to find out.

Free, I just don't have it in me to be a casual Viking fan. I have too many years of pain and suffering under my belt to give up now. One day I'll be able to say, I never gave up. It doesn't look like that will be this year though.

Back to Childress ... I can't remember where I read it, but E.J. Henderson was talking about how the Packer game isn't as big a deal under Childress as it was under Tice. With Tice at the helm, Henderson said the buildup to the game was "ridiculous." Childress's apathetic attitude has permeated the entire team.

Something has got to change.

Posted by: Shane at September 9, 2008 8:32 AM

The Vikes should tank the season, get the number one pick and get a REAL QB. We have receivers now, but we need a QB who can deliver the ball to them. All night T-Jack was throwing behind his receivers.

Posted by: kevin in az at September 9, 2008 10:17 AM

I want to know what the State of Minnesota did to upset the Sports Gods.

Man, it must have been bad.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jett T. at September 9, 2008 6:18 PM

I've said from the end of last season it doesn't matter how many improvements to the team they make if they don't address the QB situation. Jackson was putrid at the end of the season when the pressure of a possible playoff birth started to build. Then he shows a flash of competence in the 2nd half against a horrible Denver team in the season finale, and all of the sudden everyone starts to think he'll be OK.

This team has so many pieces in place that all they really need is a QB who can manage a game. Make basic passes, don't turn the ball over, etc etc. Jackson can't even do that. Ferotte would win more games for this team. Don't worry. He'll get his chance. Jackson doesn't even have the guts to stay on the field and play through a minor injury. He'll be hurt and on the bench with a phantom injury by week 4.

Posted by: Ernie at September 13, 2008 4:22 PM