< Jug week | Main | On second thought ... >

We want the Jug!

jugcelebration.jpg

The Northwestern game was a punch in the gut, no doubt. But as I said in a previous post, for me this year is all about winning the Jug. Sure, I want desperately for the Gophers to go back to the Rose Bowl and I have less and less doubt that Brewster will take them there one day. I just don't think this is the year. Having said that, it is definitely a year that we can win the Jug. And that will be huge.

The Jug is the trophy that started it all. It is the oldest trophy (I don't care what Arizona or Arizona State say about it) and it is the most meaningful. Minnesota football under Tim Brewster cannot be taken seriously in the Big Ten until we beat Michigan. This is the year to do it.

Michigan is down this year. And I argue that the loss to Northwestern has focused the Minnesota football team even more towards the task at hand. A win will give us the Jug until 2011. So, not only will potential recruits see TCF Bank Stadium, they will also see the most special and meaningful trophy in all of college football.

That is how you build a winning program. You win the trophy games and the recruits will follow. A Rose Bowl appearance starts with the trophy games. Get the Jug, get the Axe, get the Pig.

Get them all, and the 1960 team will have nothing on the Golden Gophers football team of the next three years.

We are entering a new "golden age" of Golden Gopher football. It all starts Saturday.

rosebowlteam.jpg

Posted by snackeru at November 6, 2008 8:34 PM

Shane - I am writing this at halftime of the Gophers game against Michigan. It's 16-0 Michigan. You never know, the Gophers could come back. It would help, however, if they could actually enter Wolverine territory.

I try not to by cynical, but it never works.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jett T. at November 8, 2008 12:37 PM

If it wasn't for the Twins needing for one more season, I'd be all set to just blow the Dome up now...

Posted by: Snyder at November 9, 2008 11:40 AM

Amen, Snyder.

Posted by: Jett T. at November 9, 2008 5:38 PM