< The Trolley Problem | Main | Books Read 2008 >

Speaking of Trolleys ...

trolleytearup.jpg

Minnpost.com has a great article called 150 Minnesota Moments We'd Just as Soon Forget.

This is a picture of people tearing up some trolley tracks in St. Paul in 1955. At one point the Twin Cities and suburbs had a very extensive trolley system that quite frankly went all over the place. As we spend billions now on light rail lines, the decision to tear up these trolley lines sure seems at the very least short sighted, and maybe even quite painful to think about.

And as an aside, I must say that writing an article about the 150 worst moments in Minnesota history sure fits with our reputation for Norwegian/Germanic pessimism. Makes me chuckle ...

Posted by snackeru at November 26, 2008 9:04 AM

Shhh! You're gonna stir up the Pohlad-haters again!

Posted by: Snyder at November 27, 2008 2:56 PM

Some of the events are not embarrassing at all.

What's wrong with Spam?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 28, 2008 11:10 AM

I would say the Packers winning the Super Bowl in 1996 was another. Made a ton of quiet Packer fans living in Minnesota insufferable

Posted by: Freealonzo at November 30, 2008 9:39 PM

Free,

You nailed it!!! I suppose the fact that there are no large cities in Western Wisconsin forces these people to live among us for employment/entertainment/survival purposes, but do they have to be so difficult to reason with when it comes to their football teams??? Although, I must say, like really like the direction of both major football teams: Packers are struggling and Badgers continue to get a little worse every year. Feels good. Not that our teams are improving much.

Derek

Posted by: Derek at December 1, 2008 12:21 PM

When you have nothing to be proud of, you try and belittle others. - Ghandi

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 2, 2008 1:06 PM

When can't argue the point, make up a quote and attribute it to Ghandi -- Freealonzo

Posted by: Freealonzo at December 2, 2008 1:57 PM

Yeah, but you still went to look it up didn't you? hehehe

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 2, 2008 2:18 PM

Craig,

You, and Ghandi, are probably right. But, you gotta remember, it takes toughness to be a Vikings and Gophers fan. It's not for the faint of heart. Heck, it's a lot like Wisconsin from the early 70's to the early 90's.

I am sure you remember the dark days of Badger football before Barry arrived (perhaps a couple wins each season, 38,000 fans for home games), and I am certain you remember the pre-Favre days for the Pack (Dickey-to-Lofton, Majik man, seas of empty seats for the Milwaukee home games). I am clinging to the hope that things can turn around quickly for us too. I just want to see us win one Super Bowl before I kick it...you have seen one for your team. And if just one Super Bowl in the last 40-some years is enough to sustain Packer fans, it will be enough for me.

Derek

Posted by: Derek at December 4, 2008 8:37 AM

Thanks to dark threats of relocation, NFL owners have extorted billions from cities, counties, and states for publicly subsidized but privately owned stadiums. Some of them even made money selling naming rights to financial institutions that will be eating at Hank Paulson’s Bailout BBQ & Diner, so in essence they’ve found a way to get taxpayer money in several directions.

Posted by: bar at December 4, 2008 8:51 PM

Wow, with these budget deficits maybe it is time for the U of M to SHUT DOWN FREELOADER BLOGS instead of RAISING TUITIONS!

Posted by: pent at December 4, 2008 8:52 PM

Posted by: bit at December 4, 2008 8:53 PM

IT IS TIME TO CUT THE BUDGE OF THE U OF M. IT APPEARS TOO MANY U OF M EMPLOYEES HAVE TIME TO SPARE AND CONSIDER U OF M ASSETS THEIR OWN TO FREELY USE AND ABUSE FOR FREE!

Posted by: maloo at December 5, 2008 12:52 PM

Ah ... the good old days.

Posted by: Shane at December 5, 2008 3:42 PM

Wow... that guy is really mad about these U of M blogs, huh?

Posted by: Wii Fit Accessories at December 6, 2008 11:01 PM

Shane, you abusive freeloader you.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 8, 2008 11:12 AM

Yeah. I think it's ridiculous that since the invention of the automobile the United States has literally spent almost every penny of their transportation budget on roads rather than railway. Some cities are the exception, ie: NYC

Posted by: Mad World at December 9, 2008 2:58 AM

Is STM against Blogs now too???

Posted by: Derek at December 9, 2008 3:33 PM

Want more of this imagery, check out the Minnesota Streetcar Museum's collection in Reflections. There are 803 images from our the neighborhoods at: http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fmsn

Posted by: jb at December 10, 2008 11:32 AM

Thanks John! Great suggestion! There has actually been a fair amount of Google traffic coming into this post concerning "streetcar" searches...

Posted by: Shane at December 10, 2008 1:10 PM