< January 2008 | Main | March 2008 >

Never let up

heisman_john.jpg John Heisman is more well known as a the namesake for the most famous trophy in college football than as a football coach. The Heisman trophy has been awarded since 1935, and was renamed in Heisman's honor in 1936. Heisman was the athletic director of the Downtown Athletic Club of New York at the time of his death.

Heisman coached football on and off at various universities and colleges from 1892-1927. He compiled an overall record of 185-68-18. He is most well known as the coach of Georgia Tech from 1904-1919.

As coach of Georgia Tech, Heisman was part of the most lopsided victory in the history of college football. In 1916, Georgia Tech beat Cumberland College 220-0. Apparently, the Cumberland College team had only been organized a week before the game, and the team only had 19 players.

A normal person might have the immediate impression that this score illustrates an extreme lack of sportsmanship on the part of Heisman. I would have to agree.

However, the score is somewhat explained by the attitude of Heisman who at halftime of the game, when the score was 126-0, Heisman is purported to have said:

"Men, don't let up. You never know what those Cumberland players have up their sleeves."

So, the lesson for the day: when you've got your opponent utterly defeated and demoralized, don't let up. That crafty jerk might be planning a comeback, and you don't want that.

That is all.

Posted by snackeru at 6:56 AM | Comments (36)

Wait! I've got an idea!

OK. I've calmed down a bit. I appreciate all your comments trying to bring me back from the ledge. Johan is gone, we got four "players" for him, and there is nothing we can do about it. Fair enough. In fact, I just read about Johan's deal. Apparently it is a six year deal worth $137.5 million. But the nitty-gritty is even more interesting:

Johan Santana will receive $21.5 million per season -- or about $632,352 per appearance and $6,337 per pitch -- under the terms of the record-setting agreement he reached Friday with the New York Mets.

Yep. That is a little pricey. No doubt about it. Let me make it clear that I've never had a problem with trading Johan. Nobody who only plays once every five days is worth $21.5 million.

I was just under the crazy impression that we could actually get some decent players for the best pitcher in baseball. Like, oh, I don't know ... maybe a team's top prospect or something. Instead we got ... wait, who did we get again? I've forgotten.

Oh well. Like I said, I've calmed down a bit now. In fact, I've started to look on the bright side of all this.

For example, it would appear that the Twins are willing to listen to almost any deal, no matter how ridiculous it might seem to be. And apparently they don't just listen, they might actually accept!

Mets: Hey Twins, how about 4 stiffs for Santana?
Twins: Sure! That makes sense.

With this knowledge, I have decided to make a proposal of my own. I've always wanted season tickets to the Twins, but I really can't afford them. But now ... well, maybe I can!

Hey Twins! Here is the deal: You give me season tickets and I will give you a bag of potato chips. Here is the bag I will give you:

potatochips.jpg

Note that it is a bag of classic potato chips, and it is "Family Size" so you can share it with a lot of people in the office. At first I thought I would have to throw in a bag of pretzels too, but after the Santana deal I'm pretty sure you will find this to be a more than generous offer.

So, the minute I get the season tickets I will give you the bag of chips. Oh, and I prefer the first base side for my tickets.

You know where to reach me. I look forward to hearing from you!

Posted by snackeru at 10:24 PM | Comments (18)