< February 2009 | Main | December 2009 >

Ballpark tour

Today, thanks to the generosity of Dan Kenney (Executive Director of the Ballpark Authority), I was able to partake in a tour of Target Field, the future home the Minnesota Twins. This tour was a really special moment for me. I'm not going to lie, I was overwhelmed at a couple of points in the tour just looking out over the ballpark and seeing a whole bunch of hard work come to fruition. It will be a beautiful place to watch a ballgame, no doubt about it.

Along with Freealonzo, Cheesehead Craig, Jeff Thompson, Ryan Maus, and Rick Prescott we started our tour around 4:45. We didn't finish until around 6:15. So, we saw a fair amount of the ballpark. Needless to say, I could have stayed longer. Here are a few impressions. Before I begin, though, I am not a ballpark design expert. I don't know the lingo, and I'll probably get a few of the details wrong. Rick will blow this description out of the water, which is OK. This is just another viewpoint:

As you can probably tell, I don't have any pictures to help illustrate what I am describing above. This is definitely a bummer. The Twins want to heavily control how information is released concerning their new palace. I must admit I don't understand this thinking, especially considering how many pictures of TCF Bank Stadium are out there. Maybe they will loosen this restriction once the ballpark gets closer to completion, or is complete (Dan said maybe sometime in December). We can only hope. I mean, it will help sell tickets for people to see this beautiful place inside and out, don't you think?

Anyway, I'd like to thank Dan Kenney for his gracious offer of a tour. Dan, from the bottom of my heart thank you for letting me see this place. It was awesome. Maybe on the next tour we can see the Twins clubhouse, dugout, and locker room? Also, thanks to Freealonzo, Jeff Thompson, Cheesehead Craig, Ryan Maus, and Rick Prescott for being great tour mates. All of your great questions and observations made the tour that much more enjoyable. And nice to finally meet you Rick! Nice work on that site you got there!

So, that is my description of touring Target Field. I started working on getting that crazy ballpark built in 2003. To actually set foot inside of it, to see it in a tangible fashion and be able to truly visualize how much fun it will be to watch a game being played there ... wow. It was very gratifying and overwhelming. I could have sat and looked out over the field all night long.

2010 can't come quick enough! Thanks again Dan! Let's do that again some time!

PS -- Kevin! Yes! I have my season tickets to TCF Bank stadium already purchased. I will be in section 215. Let's try to meet up!

UPDATE -- Freealonzo has some thoughts up as does Jeff Thompson. Be sure to check those out, too!

Posted by snackeru at 10:45 PM | Comments (13)