< Books Read 2009 | Main | If Big Ten nicknames really went at it >

World War Z

Battle of Yonkers

Ack! I forgot about one of the better books I read over 2009: World War Z by Max Brooks. If you like zombies, you will love this book. It isn't too gory or gruesome, but zombies do get their butts kicked so that is nice.

The picture above is concept art around one of the main fights in the book: The Battle of Yonkers. Cool description of how overwhelming the zombie hoard could be.

This book is now at number 6 on my Books Read 2009 list. I think they are also going to make it into a movie.

And furthermore, that reminds me that I read another zombie-like book in 2009: I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. I won't include it in the list below since it was only about 150 pages. Quite a bit different than the Will Smith movie. The title makes a whole lot more sense in the book.

Posted by snackeru at January 4, 2010 9:23 AM

Yeah, I LOVED this book! It's surprising just how plausable all the actions and decisions are, even though it's based on a Zombie outbreak. You can imagine that all the countries would act exactly like this in the event of any global disease outbreak.
It was certainly one of the best zombie books I've ever read, and I can't wait to see the movie.
I am Legend is also decent, not the Will Smith film so much, but the earlier film adaptions such as Vincent Price's 'Last Man on Earth'. That's also worth a watch.
As you can tell I am a zombie fan so it's good to see this book getting some well deserved love.

Posted by: Jon Walmsley at October 5, 2010 10:34 AM