< At the bus stop | Main | The greatest play in Golden Gopher football history >

A moment captured in time

With the opening of TCF Bank Stadium, I had the bright idea to create a web site remembering Memorial Stadium using pictures, videos, and other items from the University of Minnesota Archives. The web site, Memorial Stadium 1924-1992, was built during the spring and summer of 2009 and let me tell you, it was a real labor of love for everyone involved. I wish I could work on stuff like this all the time. All the old photographs, programs, videos, etc. gave me a really clear sense of how important Memorial Stadium was to campus, and also how the football program is so incredibly rich in tradition.

One of the more important traditions for the Golden Gopher football program are the trophy games. Minnesota plays four trophy games: against Michigan for the Little Brown Jug, against Wisconsin for Paul Bunyan's Axe, against Penn State for the Governors' Victory Bell, and against Iowa for Floyd of Rosedale.

The website has a section devoted to these trophies, and one of the pictures of Floyd of Rosedale is actually very unique. It is what is called, "a moment captured in time." Take a look:

realfloyd.jpg

Click on the image for a larger version if you need to. As part of the unveiling of this web site there was a corresponding exhibit at Andersen Library with print-out versions of many of the pictures, including this one. When the exhibit ended, they were going to throw all of these print-outs away so I swooped in and saved as many as I could. They are now hanging in my office, including a much larger version of the one above.

After I hung the picture up, I noticed something peculiar about it. Why are the two men laughing and looking down at the pig rather than looking at the camera? Do you see it? If you look closely enough you will see some wetness on the ground next to the pig's front feet. You should also see a glint of wetness on the shoe of the man on the left, as well as the trophy.

What I think happened was that the trophy was first placed under the pig, and of course the pig started to urinate on it. In a rush the men picked the trophy up, and the photo was taken at this moment. Again, "a moment captured in time."

In other words, I have a picture of a pig taking a whiz hanging in my office. And that, my friends, is hard to beat. Don't you think?

Posted by snackeru at January 9, 2010 9:37 AM

Such a disrespectful animal. Why do you think they had to bring a hog all the way from Iowa for a Memorial Stadium photoshoot?

Posted by: Ofergopher at January 9, 2010 5:02 PM