< Birthday dinner | Main | Bizarro World >

Backpack retirement

I have had this LL Bean backpack since the 9th grade. That is almost 23 years of daily use. The strap is ripped, it is faded and stained, and a couple of weeks ago the zipper gave out.

My kids gave me a new backpack for my birthday this weekend. I am excited for a new one since backpack technology has improved in 23 years, but it is sad to retire the old one.

So long old friend! We've had a good run: high school, college, grad school, two jobs, vacations, and numerous camp outs. Here's hoping my new backpack lasts 24 years.

Posted by snackeru at January 19, 2010 8:03 AM

You should send this post (or the backpack) to LL Bean and see if they will hook you up with some new gear - this is a real recommendation for the durability of their stuff

Posted by: chapman at January 19, 2010 10:06 AM

Good idea! I have done that! Maybe they'll put me in a commercial or something. Ha!

Posted by: Shane at January 19, 2010 10:31 AM

Well, they got back to me, essentially saying, "We are glad you got 23 years of service out of our backpack. Thanks for liking our product enough to write us about it." Not a surprise.

It was a great backpack. Can't complain.

Posted by: Shane at January 19, 2010 12:42 PM

I remember my first backpack that lasted over two years. A magical blue and black one (I think North Face???) from 2000-2004, about 4 and 1/2 year life. It was great. I had to finally retire it cause the bottom fell out. Memories.

Posted by: Sean at January 20, 2010 1:43 PM

Hey Shane, I just saw your post. My backpack of 12 years is about to be retired. I thought JanSport was tough, maybe I should try LL Bean for an additional 11 years of life!

Posted by: Carissa at April 1, 2010 12:49 PM

Hey there. I came across this post accidentally while looking for a picture of the old school L.L.Bean backpacks. Mine is the newer style, of the same size but 12 years old this fall. I was just gloating about how it carried a gallon of paint and all of my painting supplies home from the hardware store with no problem (I live in the city and bike around). L.L. Bean doesn't mess around.

Posted by: Cailey at July 23, 2010 12:15 PM