< Backpack retirement | Main | Something happened in 1961 >

Bizarro World

fisch.jpg
Hello? Pete? Get me
out of here! I'm in over my head!

Let me see if I get this right. Jedd Fisch created an offense where Minnesota ranked last in the Big Ten in scoring (20.9 points per game), rushing (99.5 yards per game) and total offense (306.5 ypg) in 2009.

QB Adam Weber also clearly regressed under Fisch. Weber dropped his QB rating from 126.93 in 2008 to 114.65 in 2009. Fisch also stupidly changed Weber's throwing motion and it showed as Weber uncharacteristically missed receivers all season long.

And yet, Pete Carroll tabbed Fisch as his new quarterbacks coach for the Seahawks. What about the last year convinced Carroll that Fisch would be a good hire?

What is really bizarre about all of this, though, is that I wanted Fisch to stay. Even after watching the putrid offense he created and oversaw, I still wanted him to remain as the Gophers OC. As the Daily Gopher points out, this is all for the sake of continuity.

This is the really scary thought though: Fisch essentially took a demotion and a paycut to become the Seahawks QB coach. What does this say about MarQueis Gray, the Gophers QB heir apparent, when a supposed QB guru doesn't want to coach you? Gray, if he is all that Brewster says he is, could have made Fisch's career.

What it says to me is that we are in for more pain and suffering, Gopher fans. But then that really shouldn't be a surprise.

Posted by snackeru at January 21, 2010 7:17 AM

Seems like things are not too good right now with our Gopher sports. Basketball seems to be taking a step backward after two years of nice progress. Our normally-dominant hockey squad has struggled since the beginning of last season, and our Gopher football team seems to have already killed the honeymoon phase in the new stadium with their play in five of the last six games. Ugh. Ah well, gotta keep the faith and hope for the best. Thanks for the post Shane, good take.

Posted by: Derek at January 21, 2010 10:47 PM

comment deleted from"benny"

Off topic and from a troubled mind. Get over it.

Posted by: benny at January 23, 2010 10:25 AM

Why do I get the feeling that "benny" is some guy who sucked at baseball (among everything else). Was always picked last on the playground, stuck in rightfield, and batted 9th.

Benny probably never had a girlfriend or is stuck in a loveless marriage with an overbearing wife who hasn't done him in ages.

In other words a miserable useless prick.

Posted by: B. Bonds at January 23, 2010 12:16 PM