< Pet-peeves | Main | The Vikings during more dominant times >

Of snow-scrapers and vandalism

scraper.jpgI have a thing about snow-scrapers. For whatever reason my kids periodically decide to take the snow-scrapers out of my vehicles. I can't explain why, they just do. Never having to drive they probably think they are toys, or silly poles with brushes on them. So, they throw them out. Of course, as soon as they do we get a huge snow or ice storm and I am forced to scrape my windows with a credit card. It has happened so often that now I freak out if I find out my vehicle doesn't have its snow-scraper. My kids know they will feel my wrath if the car or minivan I get into doesn't have its resident snow-scraper. Even in the summer.

A couple of months ago my two boys and I went to a Boy Scout lock-in. We had a great time. We went swimming, we played basketball, and we watched movies until 4:00 AM. I was in charge of the food for around 30 attendees. I bought like 15 bags of popcorn (cheesy popcorn was the preferred flavor), 15 liters of Sprite and root beer, 2 gallons of ice cream (for root beer floats), and 12 large pizzas. It was incredible. When it was time to eat that pizza I opened the boxes and it was like wolves descending on a moose. I literally had to get out of the way or I would have been trampled. I don't think the pizza lasted more than 5 minutes.

Anyway, after the event was over (thank goodness for 5-hour energy ... that stuff is the real deal) we packed up and started to walk out to the minivan.

I noticed it had snowed during the night so I turned to my son and said, "Alex, there had better be a snow-scraper in our minivan or I am going to flip."

Tentatively he replied, "I'm pretty sure there is a snow-scraper in the van, Dad. Don't worry about it."

"You're the one that is going to have to worry if my van is snow-scraperless," I said. Alex sighed and just kept walking.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the van but I noticed there was something odd with the driver side window. It looked like it was rolled down, but also full of jagged ice. I thought that was weird and I quickened my pace.

brokenwindow.jpgAs I got closer the window looked stranger and stranger until I realized that it had been smashed open! Little chunks of glass were still hanging from the door frame and glass was everywhere in the van. The van had been unlocked and obviously the perpetrator(s) had gone through it looking for valuables. The glove box had been left open.

Stunned, I started to go through the car to see if anything had been stolen. My CDs were still there. My son's Sunday school Bible was left untouched. Really, there was nothing of value to steal. Thankful, I told my boys to get in and I prepared to get the ice off the windshield. That is when I realized that one important thing had been stolen.

"They stole my snow-scraper!" I yelled angrily.

Alex just laughed.

Posted by snackeru at January 28, 2011 8:26 AM