Category "Boring vs. Interesting"

Category "Sports"

Boring vs. Interesting Day 23 -- plus other randomness

• Well, my "boring vs. interesting" series is winding down. I said I would do this for a month, so I've got a bout 7 days. Then I will make a decision on whether or not I think my life is boring or interesting. Right now the stats look like this:

Interesting days: 14
Boring days: 8

So, things are looking good so far. You know, I've kind of enjoyed breaking this down, but I'm not sure at all any of you have enjoyed this. So, if you find these little snippets in the life of snackeru to be worth while let me know. If not, the tiny minutiae of my life will torment you no longer. Anyway ...

Last night my son and I made a poster for his paper towel absorbency experiment.

The whole experiment turned out pretty good, and as you can see our poster is colorful and (hopefully) interesting.

After we made the poster, I made a batch of cookies for the Cub Scout Pack meeting tonight. Every Pack meeting we give away cookies to the Scouts that are having a birthday in the month of the Pack meeting. So, I had to make 6 big cookies last night:

Hopefully they turned out OK.

Overall, it was kind of a boring night:

Interesting days: 14
Boring days: 9

• In reading Jim in St. Paul's material concerning the first 10 years in Minnesota for the Twins and Vikings I came across a startling discovery: The Vikings were not the first NFL team for Minnesota. The document above mentions the "Duluth Eskimos" so I decided to do a little research into the history of the NFL in Minnesota.

In 1921, the same year the Green Bay Packers joined the AFPA, the Minneapolis Marines also joined the league.

In 1922 the APFA revises its name to the National Football League.

In 1923, the Duluth Kelleys joined the league.

In 1924-25, the Minneapolis Marines folded.

In 1926 the Duluth Kelleys were renamed to the Duluth Eskimos.

In 1927-28 the Duluth Eskimos folded.

In 1929 the Minneapolis Red Jackets joined the league.

In 1930-31 the Minneapolis Red Jackets folded and we wouldn't get another team for another 30 years.

Interesting stuff, no? Speaking of the Duluth Eskimos, in 1927 they had a record of 1-8, with a 0-20 drubbing from the Packers in Green Bay. Also note that they played every game "away." Methinks they were begging for a new stadium and when they didn't get one they were probably contracted! See?!?!? There is precedent!

Let us all lament and weep for the Eskimos! What could have been if only Duluth would have just built them a stadium! It is a shame ...

UPDATE: Here is the real story of the Eskimos. Their lack of a decent stadium had something to do with it, but it had more to do with money.

• Spycake wrote an interesting comment yesterday which discusses, among other things, the phenomenon of fantasy sports. Spycake writes:

Pro sports are less of a requirement now to make a city "great", or even truly "major league." They're just businesses themselves, national businesses, and their direct effects are rather lost among the myriad of suburban and summertime diversions we have access to today. Especially football, the reigning king of pro sports. Most of the "Vikings fans" I grew up with now care more about their fantasy football teams and DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscriptions than the real local team.

That is an interesting thought. I can't say I agree, but then again I'm not really a part of the whole "fantasy football" scence. But his comment got me to thinking, if I was really big into fantasy football, would I care more about my team than the Vikings? Unlikely, but I'm sure there are people like that out there.

Then it dawned on me: that is exactly why I can't get into fantasy sports. I can't stand the thought of cheering for anyone other than the Twins, Vikings, or T-Wolves. I had a fantasy football team in college and I had absolutely zero interest in it. I only cared about Sunday afternoon with the Vikings. I can't imagine having Ahman Green on my team, or Kyle Orton, and having to follow those players every week and maybe even having to cheer for them. Quite frankly it makes me sick.

It reminds me of a quote (for some reason) from Larry Bird who was asked what he thought of Magic Johnson and Isaiah Thomas kissing at mid-court before games. Of course, Bird said he thought it was "disgusting" and that it also made him sick. Bird then went on to describe how when he was a rookie he was really good friends with another player on the Celtics who was then traded the next year. Bird said that player is now an enemy and that he has never talked to him since.

I thought this exchange was hilarious, but it also demonstrated that Bird was loyal to the Celtics (almost to a fault). Most likely he also expected that same loyalty from the fans. I can't imagine that Bird ever played fantasy sports for the same reason I don't: I can't imagine cheering for anyone other than the players on my favorite teams.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm against fantasy sports. I'm sure they are a lot of fun for a lot of people. I just found Spycake's comment interesting and it made me think of the reasons why I don't play. Too much loyalty is one reason, but not enough time is definitely another. But I think he has a point, for some fantasy sports may be more important than the teams they grew up cheering for.

Posted by snackeru at 8:31 AM | Comments (17) | Boring vs. Interesting | Sports

Category "Boring vs. Interesting"

Boring vs. Interesting Day 22

Well, while I'm waiting for my ride to pick me up after that brutal snow storm last night, I've decided to finish off this blog entry concerning my day yesterday. Yesterday my eldest son and I conducted a science experiment for his class where we tried to determine the absorbency of 3 different varieties of paper towels.

We put the towels into a cup of water (250 ml):

Then after a minute we removed the towel:

Then we measured how much water was left in the measuring cup in order to determine how much water each sheet could hold.

Here is our results:

Bounty: 50 ml per sheet
Viva: 56 ml per sheet
Sparkle: 28 ml per sheet

This computes to this much water per roll:

Bounty: 4500 ml per roll (90 sheets in a roll of Bounty)
Viva: 3920 ml per roll (70 sheets)
Sparkle: 1680 ml per roll (60 sheets)

Then, we deduced which type of paper towel is the best value by dividing the number of milliliters per roll by the price for the roll:

Bounty: $1.69 = 26 ml of water per penny
Viva: $1.79 = 22 ml per penny
Sparkle $1.06 = 15 ml per penny

So, Bounty is the best value. It is cheaper that the Viva brand, it holds more total water, and you get more bang for your buck.

All in all it was a fun and interesting experiment. Tonight we will make a poster for his presentation. That's all for now. Stay tuned for some more stadium ramblings...

Interesting days: 14
Boring days: 8

Posted by snackeru at 7:46 AM | Comments (4) | Boring vs. Interesting

Category "Boring vs. Interesting"

Boring vs. Interesting Days 16-21

What is happening to me? To much going on and not enough will power to sit down and type out these blog entries, that's what. Enough whining though. Let's get on with the boring vs. interesting rankings!

Day 16: Back to church

Man it feels like I'm at church a lot. Last Wednesday night we went back to church for another episode of Mission 6~7. This month the theme is "Gratitude" or "Letting someone know that you know how much they've helped you out." Good lesson for everyone and something I'm going to try to be better at. Let me start by saying thanks to all of you for reading these meager ramblings! I appreciate a great deal that you (all five of you) find this blog worthy of reading every once in a while.

(Actually I think upwards of 100 people read this blog everyday. This is amazing to me.)

This day was interesting.

Interesting days: 11
Boring days: 5

Day 17: Scout meetings

Thursday night I had a Parent/Leader (PAL) meeting for the Cub Scouts and a Webelos Den meeting. It was a busy night, but honestly nothing really interesting happened. At the PAL meeting we just sat around and talked and I offered to make the cookies for the birthdays at this Thursday's Pack meeting.

After the meeting I went to the library and checked out the newly published fourth book in George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series, A Feast for Crows. Man that is a good series. I'm not a big fan of fantasy, but Martin really nails it with these books.

But, again, nothing too interesting:

Interesting days: 11
Boring days: 6

Day 18: My wife left me

On Friday my wife left for a weekend conference and the kids and I were left to fend for ourselves. So, I did what any self respecting husband and father does, I took the kids to McDonalds. Cheesehead Craig and his kids were also there as our wives were at the same conference. The conference, Hearts at Home, is for stay-at-home moms. Honestly, I'm not sure how many things there are to talk about concerning being a stay-at-home mom, but my wife had a wonderful time. Before she left I told her to only attend the "how to please your man more" sessions and stay away from the "how your man is not doing enough for you" sessions. I think my plan worked because when my wife got home she didn't immediately make me sleep on the couch.

All in all, though, Friday was not the most intersting day.

Interesting days: 11
Boring days: 7

Day 19: Minnesota History Center with the Tigers

The Tiger Scout program is set up for a couple of den meetings a month, the Pack meeting, and then an event where you actually go out and do something as a den, like go to a fire station or a bakery or a museum. On Saturday I had scheduled a "Go See It" with my Tiger Den at the Minnesota History Center.

This was a lot of fun. If you haven't been to the Minnesota History Center it is very interesting with a lot of displays about Minnesota history (duh), but it also has a lot of hands on activities for the kids. One of the favorite activities for the kids is the "grain elevator" which is really just a big jungle gym. In the elevator you can climb around and pretend you are a grain of wheat or a piece of corn. We spent a lot of time letting the kids climb around in this contraption.

grainelevator.jpg

I also wanted to go to the Center's exhibit of Pulitzer Prize winning photographs. This exhibit was packed. I have never seen so many people in the Minnesota History Center and these famous photographs were the big reason. Unfortunately I will have to go back to this exhibit at another time for a couple of reasons: 1) some of the photographs are of a graphic nature and possibly could have been upsetting to some of the scouts and 2) I have never received so many unpleasant stares and bad vibes from so many people in all of my life. In fact a couple of people even asked us to leave. I know ... I was amazed.

I knew some of the photographs would be of a disturbing nature, however I had also hoped to take the scouts by some of the other types of photographs and talk about them. For example, there is a great picture of a lighthouse being consumed by waves. It is a really powerful image. However, as we were walking through on more than one occasion people told us how strongly they disapproved of us being there. One woman said to me, "If I knew my Tiger Scout was in here I would be so angry!" I said back to her, as I was looking at the lighthouse picture with my daughter, "All of their parents are here with them. If they want to leave the exhibit they are more than welcome to do so."

Now, I am of two minds about this. On the one hand, do I really want my young kids looking at these images ... of someone being lynched, or the famous picture of a naked Vietnamese girl running down the street after her village had been napalmed? Probably not. However, these images are also excellent teaching tools. What happened in these pictures? How can we prevent these things from happening again? How can we be better people? How can we help people more? These are published images, and probably no worse than some of the things kids see in cartoons. What makes them different, though, is that they are real.

Skilled parents could probably guide his or her child through the exhibit and look at only the pictures they deemed appropriate. Honestly, our Tiger Scouts were quite oblivious to the pictures as they searched for something hands-on to do. However, due to the negative vibes we were getting from the crowd, the subject matter of some of the pictures, and out of respect for the overall somber feeling in the room, we decided to leave.

I'd be interested in what some of the other parents think about this, but I will certainly not be taking my kids back to this particular exhibit. In some ways I think this is a shame, but then again I know they will come across these pictures again sometime in their lives. So, probably not a big deal. But yikes! Some people have very strong opinions about kids seeing Pulitzer Prize winning photos!

mhcscouts.jpg

So, this day was very interesting:

Interesting days: 12
Boring days: 7

Day 20: Church, Viking game, and back to (a) church

On Sunday I woke up early to again get to church and set up the sound system for our Sunday School program, Disciple Zone. No big deal there, thankfully, as things went off without a hitch. Unfortunately though, I didn't get out of church until 12:30 since we only have one car and my wife had some things to take care of after the service.

I cannot express in nearly a forceful enough way how unacceptable it is for me to miss the kickoff for a Vikings game. It just pains me to no end. I know, I better look out for the lightning bolt to come down on my head, but dag-blast it, I like the Vikings! I like watching the Vikings! Can I have 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon where I can watch the Vikings and just enjoy myself? Sheesh! I guess not.

Anyway, the game was awesome, of course. I was as stunned as everyone else at the horrible offense, phenomenal special teams, and vastly improving defense. I got into my house and turned on the TV right before Sharper returned one of his interceptions for a TD. That is a nice way to enter a Vikings game, let me tell you! The rest of the game was a lot of fun to watch, and you all know the outcome. I was happy for Zygi.

After the game I went out again with the Cub Scouts, this time my older son's Webelos Den. If you'll recall, we are visiting some different houses of worship in an effort to see some diversity. A couple of weeks ago we went to a Jewish synagogue. That was fascinating. Well, yesterday we went to St. Mary's Basilica in downtown Minneapolis.

What a neat place. If you've never been there it is truly spectacular. The ceiling, the stain-glass windows, the altar and statues. Wow. One of my favorite parts is this mosaic:

In the Middle Ages the pelican was thought to pierce herself in the breast in order to feed her blood to her young. Depictions of pelicans in churches are meant to symbolize the shedding of Jesus's blood.

Anyway, we also saw some of their most sacred and oldest icons, and we got to talk with one of the Basilica staff. I asked him what the difference is between a basilica and a cathedral, and he said in the early days of the church it had more to do with architecture than anything, but now a church is deemed a "basilica" when it is deemed historically or spiritually important. Basilica's are therefore of a higher "rank" than cathedrals. A cathedral is usually the home parish of the area archbishop, and it contains a special chair or throne called a "cathedra" for the bishop (or the pope as the case may be). And as you might imagine, a basilica can also be a cathedral if it contains one of these special chairs (and probably for other reasons). However, in the case of the Basilica of St. Mary and the Cathedral of St. Paul, if the Pope ever came to Minnesota protocol would dictate that he would have to speak at the Basilica of St. Mary first since it is a basilica (and a cathedral). Interesting stuff, no?

So, we sat through the Mass which I could tell most of the boys thought was pretty boring. But that is OK. It was good to have the experience. The priest did make a special mention of the Scouts at the end, though, which most of them thought was pretty neat.

All in all, it was a very interesting day.

Interesting days: 13
Boring days 7

Day 21: Typing out this blog entry

Today I went to work, rode the bus home, made some dinner for the kids, helped my older son with his homework, and then sat down to write this now epic blog entry. Seriously, I have now been sitting here for a couple of hours getting all the pictures ready and typing it out. I hope you all appreciate it!

Not a very interesting day though.

Interesing days: 13
Boring days: 8

See you all later!

Posted by snackeru at 7:55 AM | Comments (7) | Boring vs. Interesting

Category "Boring vs. Interesting"

Category "Life"

Category "Sports"

Random musings

This will be completely off the cuff, and rapid fire. Everything I can think of that I want to get down right now:

• I really want to see the movie Serenity but I can't find the time or willpower to do it. It is playing at the Hopkins theater for $2 right now. Is it worth it? Has anyone else seen it?

• Speaking of movies, I have recently seen Sin City and Secret Window. Sin City was decent. Truthfully, I liked it probably for one reason and one reason only: Carla Gugino. I'll just leave it at that.

Secret Window was not very good. Predictable and not very suspenseful. I would not recommend it.

• Thanks to a past recommendation from Andy at Twins Killings I am really enjoying the music of Air right now, specifically the album Talkie Walkie. Very pleasant and different.

• It has taken me 32 years of life, but I am finally going to read Watership Down. I'll let you know how it goes.

• I am really enjoying the T-Wolves right now. Maybe it is the mystery of a new team (how will they play together? how good is the Jaric guy?), maybe it is Rashad McCants (did you see that alley-oop from THUD? Yikes.), or maybe it is because this is the start of a new season and I'm supposed to be excited. Whatever the case, I am watching a lot of basketball and I am loving it.

Did you see the City Pages article about the T-Wolves last week? Good stuff. Well written. The author, Britt Robson, does not care for THUD at all. Among his more salient points he had this to say:

Every minute Hudson steals from McCants at the shooting guard position will penalize this franchise down the road.

True. McCants is the future, not the defensive nightmare that is Troy Hudson. Give him some PT Casey!

• Now for a Boring vs. Interesting update ... unfortunately I've had three boring days in a row. On Sunday I watched the Vikings game. That was the highlight. On Monday I watched Sin City. Again, a pretty lame highlight. And last night I went to the library. Nothing too exciting there.

At the library I picked up a book for myself (Watership Down), and a bunch of books for my kids. Specifically I got Fantastic Mr. Fox for my middle son. We read half of it last night and really enjoyed it. Roald Dahl was a very gifted childrens' author.

Anyway:

Interesting days: 10
Boring days: 5

Have I really been tracking this for 15 days?

• I've got a question for everyone: how many years have you been working and how many times have you switched jobs? I've worked at the U for 7 year now, and while I still enjoy it, perhaps I should look around. Let me clarify, I'm not looking around right now, I'm just starting to think, "How long can I work in the same job?"

Anyone out there interested in a 32 year old webmaster and adjunct professor at St. Kate's, with a Master's degree in Library Science and a sad obsession for stadium related issues? Let me know. I got mad skills.

• I like Cheer or Die's prediciton that the Vikings will win this Sunday. I think the team has finally turned the corner.

• I gotta say I liked how the Minneapolis mayor race turned out. Keep Rybak in office so McLaughlin stays on the Hennepin County board. Of course, it probably doesn't matter since the Twins deal with Hennepin County expires at the end of December, but I still have a little hope.

St. Paul's race is another story. I think St. Paul's chances to land the Twins just took a serious hit with Coleman taking over. We'll see though. What do you think Jim in St. Paul?

That's it. Talk to you later.

Posted by snackeru at 9:04 AM | Comments (18) | Boring vs. Interesting | Life | Sports

Category "Boring vs. Interesting"

Boring vs. Interesting: Day 12

So, I got up on Saturday morning expecting it to be a boring day. I was going to mow my parents lawn (yes, I still do that but they pay me pretty well), and I was going to lounge around some more. Then I got a phone call at around 10:00 from the father of my oldest son's best friend who asked if I wanted tickets to the "Gopher game." I immediately thought of Gopher football and I said, "Yes! I'll take them!" Then I remembered the football team was playing at Indiana. "Shoot," I thought, "What 'Gopher game' is he talking about?"

Much to my happiness it was Gopher men's basketball. So, I asked my younger son if he wanted to go and later than afternoon (after mowing the lawn) we headed out.

gopher2.jpg

We were quite excited to be at the game. The seats were 4th row courtside so we were right on top (or below due to the raised floor) of the action.

gopher1.jpg

The Gophers shot very poorly yesterday, and while they ended up winning, it was only by 9 points (59-50) to Southwest Minnesota State University. I know, that is very frightening. However, like I said, they shot extremely poorly yesterday. If some of those shots start to fall, they'll be all right. Plus, this was only an exhibition game, so I'm sure (I hope!) Monson was using this as an opportunity to give a few things a try, like playing some of the scrubs.

gopher3.jpg

My son and I had a great time, and the highlight of the evening for him was definitely the band. They were a lot of fun to watch and listen to.

So, yesterday was definitely "interesting":

Interesting days: 10
Boring days: 2

Posted by snackeru at 4:14 PM | Boring vs. Interesting

Category "Books"

Category "Boring vs. Interesting"

Boring vs. Interesting: Days 10-11

If you are here to read about Reggie Jackson's interest in the Twins and how that affects the stadium issue ... well I don't think it is worth writing about. This is probably the last we'll hear from Reggie as the Twins have made it clear that they are not for sale. So, forget about it.

Today, on this beautiful Saturday morning, I'm going to write yet another entry in my series to figure out if my life is boring vs. interesting. So far the tally is 7 interesting and 2 boring days. You'll note that after some user feedback I have changed one of my days to interesting. Here is a description of days 9 and 10.

Day 10: Den Meeting

On Thursday night I had a Cub Scout Den meeting at my house. As I've said before, I am the Den leader for my younger son's Tiger den. There are 9 boys in the den, so it can get a little crazy. For this Den meeting we worked on family scrap books and I was thrilled to see how excited the boys were to do this activity. They all brought some family pictures and for a good 20 minutes we all cut and paste pictures into little three-ring binders I bought for everyone. And, of course, I had some Star Wars and Spongebob stickers for everyone to spruce up their pages with. The boys were thrilled with that.

I also did a "fancy" demonstration of the importance of teeth brushing which I felt was especially timely given Thursday was just a few days after Halloween. At the beginning of the meeting I put a hard boiled egg into a glass of Pepsi. The boys thought that was hilarious. And I asked, "What do you think is going to happen?" One said the egg would explode, another said that the egg would float, and another said the egg would get dirty. I told them we would have to wait until the end of the meeting to find out.

At the end, I took the egg out and held it up to another hard-bolied egg. It was readily apparent that the egg in Pepsi for an hour was extremely dirty. So, I said, "How can we clean it off?" The boys all thoguht that water would easily clean off the egg so I got a bowl full of water and swished the egg around in it. Nope. Still dirty. So, then I said, "The only way this will get clean is if we brush it." I got out a tootbrush and a tube of toothpaste and I brushed the egg. They all thought that was quite funny. But it really got the point across.

So, I said to them, if you want clean teeth you can't just drink a glass of water, and you certainly can't drink a lot of pop. You've got to brush your teeth. Ha! They thought that was pretty cool. And I gotta say I was surprised with how well it worked. It was one of those activities that 20 years down the road they'll say to themselves, "You know, I don't remember much about being a Tiger scout, but I do remember Shane putting an egg into Pepsi and then brushing it like it was a tooth." That is kind of neat.

Interesting days: 8
Boring days: 2

Day 11: Maxin' and relaxin'

Last night I didn't do much of anything. And that is nice sometimes, just to vegitate a little bit. However, I didn't vegitate in front of a TV. I vegitated with a really good book. I started to read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Now usually it takes me one or two weeks to read a book, but The Kite Runner was so good, so interesting, I read it all in one night. I was reading it from about 7:00 to 12:30 because I just couldn't put it down. It isn't that action packed, but the characters, the setting, and the story were all fascinating. It is also written in a style where you can tell the author pain-stakingly chose every word for the utmost clarity and it reads almost perfectly. The Kite Runner gave me a new appreciation for Afghanistan and the heartbreak and turmoil that country has gone through, but it also demonstrates the overwhelming guilt we as humans can carry, and in this case how one person overcomes that pain.

The Kite Runner tells the story of Amir and Hassan, two boys living in Kubul. Amir is the son of a rich business man, and Hassan is the son of Amir's father's servant. Amir and Hassan grow up as best friends, but a certain horrible event shatters that friendship and sends Amir on a lifelong quest for redemption. About half way through the book, Amir and his father are forced to flee their home due to the Russian invasion. Most of the story happens in Afghanistan/Pakistan, but a lot of it also happens in America.

If you think this story is only about war and or civil/war you couldn't be further from the truth. This is a story about a wonderful culture and an area of the world I know very little about. It is also about the relationship between a father and a son, the heartbreaking relationship between two friends, and one man's efforts to make things right. "Come," one of the characters says to Amir later in his life, "There is a way to be good again."

Man! I don't mind saying I had tears in my eyes at the end of this one. What a phenomenal book. The one over-arching theme I can take away from this one is the importance of doing the right thing, even if it harms you in the process, and especially if it means taking care of the people around you, the people you love. The Kite Runner is a riveting and haunting story. I receommend it whole heartedly.

So, even though I just read a book, it was one of the best books I have read in a long time:

Interesting days: 9
Boring days: 2

Posted by snackeru at 10:09 AM | Books | Boring vs. Interesting

Category "Boring vs. Interesting"

Boring vs. Interesting: Days 4-9

Well, I'm not sure anyone really cares (besides my Mom ... hi Mom!) but here is a run down on days 4 through 9 in my series to figure out if my life is boring or interesting. So far, I am at 3 "interesting" days and 0 "boring" days. And for those of you keeping up with this, I rank days as "interesting" pretty much as long as I didn't spend a large part of that day sitting on my butt watching TV. So, on with the rankings:

Day 4: Rachel's birthday rachel.jpg

So, on Friday night my wife and I went out with Cheesehead Craig and his wife Rachel for Rachel's birthday. We went to Sidney's where I had a most delicious plate of Beef Stroganoff, and then we went to a movie. Both my wife and I had a wonderful time as Craig and Rachel are both our neighbors and best friends here in the Twin Cities.

When I was in college one of my roommate's professors had a close family member tragically die. My roommate, Curt in Grand Forks, remarked to me something his professor said to the class, something to the effect, "Nothing else matters in this life besides your family and friends. Remember that." Curt can probably fill in the details, but I was touched by this sentiment, as simple as it is. I am very thankful for Craig and Rachel, and I thank God they are such good friends. Thanks for the fun time guys and happy birthday Rachel!

My rank: Interesting!
Interesting days: 4
Boring days: 0

Day 5: Brick and Mortar

So, on Saturday I heard my dad was putting mortar in the joints of the new brick facing he had put up on his house. Beautiful job, really. It is very impressive. Anyway, a couple of years ago my dad helped me re-mortar my leaking chimney, so I felt compelled to help him with this task. So, during the pathetic Gophers game I helped him mortar his new stone facing.

He asked me what I would rank this on my Boring vs. Interesting tally, and I said, "Well, any day you spend a long time with your parents ... well it has got to be boring. Sorry." And really, putting mortar into joints is not exactly exciting.

Although my dad did introduce me to a great new saying. During a lull, I stepped back and I said, "You know this really looks good when you stand at a distance and not look at it close up."

My dad answered, "Yep, it looks good from a galloping horse."

I love that saying! I will now use it whenever it is appropriate.

Interesting days: 4
Boring days: 1

Day 6: Church, Vikings, and Slide Show

Sunday started out with me going to church. Every other Sunday I run the sound system for our weekly Sunday School class called "Disciple Zone." It is actually quite the production. So, I get to church at 8:00, set up all the microphones and wireless microphones, make sure the lighting works, and get the music and power point(s) ready. Then the fun starts at 9:00. As you might guess, this isn't your typical Sunday School class and the kids love it.

Then I got home and watched the Vikings game. Ugh. Daunte's injury was nasty. The Vikings play was nasty. Smoot got torched, and Brad Johnson looked feeble. How can this be? You know, I could have handled mediocrity. I've handled it for a few years now. But with their off season acquisitions I expected better. I expected them to be better than "awful." Did anyone think they would be this bad? Anyone? It is just too upsetting.

Then, Sunday night we went over to my wife's parents' house to watch a slide show of their trip to Europe. Yep, any time you get stuck at your in-laws house and your visit involves a slide show of any kind ... well you've entered into the "boring" zone. Now, I must say I was not bored. I actually found the slide show to be interesting and my wife's dad is hilarious when he starts telling stories, but in the grand scheme of things this activity would be considered boring. So:

Interesting days: 4
Boring days: 2

Day 7: Halloween at the Creek

halloweenatcreek.jpg

On Monday I took the day off to help my wife prepare for the "Halloween at the Creek" festivities. HAC is put on by the city of Plymouth and local area churches as a family friendly Halloween activity. My wife was a HUGE part of the planning for this event. She coordinated all the volunteers, put together all of the entertainment, and generally was the go-to person for any and all things having to to with this event. I was incredibly proud of her.

Over 600 people showed up. And they had a lot of different things to do. There was a clown/magician, there was an animal show, there was a puppet show, there were tons of games/stations where the kids could win a prize, there was pizza, and candy ... oh my goodness was there ever candy. For most of the evening I stayed in the "Dome" area and ran whatever game stations needed running. In particular, I ran the Pop Bottle Ring Toss, the Bungee Basketball Battle, the Basketball Shooting station, and the Hockey Goal Challenge. I really had a good time. Tons of kids and tons of smiles.

Again, though, I gotta say how proud I am of my wife. To pull off this kind of event took a lot of her time and a whole lot of planning. And it went smoothly. People had a blast and it was all due in large part to her efforts. Needless to say, I was very, very impressed.

And of course, this was an "interesting" day.

Interesting days: 5
Boring days: 2

Day 8: Completely boring

Nothing really to report for this day. I took another day off to help my wife recuperate from the big Halloween event and I cleaned the house all day. No big whoop.

Interesting days: 5
Boring days: 3

Day 9: Mission 6~7 m67.jpg

So, last night my family and I again went to our church's Wednesday night production called Mission 6~7. It is a fun, very family friendly service that includes loud music, a little skit (or two), and a great opportunity to laugh and play with my kids. We have a really good time.

Interesting days: 6
Boring days: 3

So, that's about it from here. Thanks for reading Mom!

Posted by snackeru at 7:58 AM | Comments (7) | Boring vs. Interesting

Category "Boring vs. Interesting"

Boring vs. Interesting Day 3

If you didn't get a chance to read Jeff's comment yesterday regarding his "interesting" life, here is a snippet that I found to be just wonderful:

None of these things I do will make me great or famous. Fifty years from now, I'll be gone, and very few will remember I ever existed. I'll have lived all my life in little towns, and never have "accomplished" anything. How boring. But I'll have had an awful lot of fun, and I'll have contributed to my little town and to the lives of the people in it.

Interesting enough for me.

Amen brother. That says it all right there. My tally of interesting days may actually look pretty boring to some people, but as long as those days are interesting to me, as long as I feel I am making a difference somewhere that is "interesting enough for me." Thanks for the comment, Jeff. You hit the nail on the head.

Last night I went to a Pack meeting for my kids' Cub Scout Pack:

packmeetoct.jpg

I am the Assistant Webelos Den Leader for my older son's Webelos den, and I am the new Tiger Cub Den Leader for my younger son's Tiger den. So, needless to say, I spend a lot of my time doing Cub Scout related activities. For example, just last weekend for a Pack service project we went to a local nature preserve to pick Buckthorn. If you've never heard of it, Buckthorn is a nasty import from Europe that grows like a weed and practically takes over whatever area it has invaded. I had never heard of it before, but now after pulling it for a couple of hours I see it everywhere!

I love the Cub Scouts. It is a wonderful organization that has really helped my older son make friends and become more responsible. Plus we've gone on some really neat camp outs.

Last night my Tiger den received their first badges, and the boys in the Den were really excited. So, it was fun.

As a result, I will give yesterday another rank of "interesting" bringing my tally up to:

Interesting days: 3
Boring days: 0

We'll see if I can keep the streak going. More later...

Posted by snackeru at 7:30 AM | Comments (4) | Boring vs. Interesting

Category "Boring vs. Interesting"

Category "Life"

My boring life?

I'm reading a book right now called The Beach by Alex Gardner. Among other things, this book describes the backpacking culture of Thailand, and how a lot of foreigners come into the country to hang out and explore. It features mystery, danger, exploration, french women, drugs, and exotic locales. It is a very interesting book (so far).

As I was reading it yesterday, I suddenly came to the conclusion that 1) fact is NOT stranger than fiction and 2) my life is just plain freaking boring. First of all, you hear this all the time, that non-fiction is much more interesting than fiction. I beg to differ. In the grand scheme of things, 9 out of 10 times our lives are as boring as watching snot freeze. Man, we really know how to be boring. Wake up, go to work, get home, eat dinner, watch tv, go to bed, repeat. Yikes! Somebody stop us! Secondly, I came to the conclusion yesterday that my life is not very interesting. I may do some fun things every once in a while, but for the most part I am a sedentary individual content to watch the world pass me by. Or am I?

Bear with me here. What I plan on doing for the next month (?) is document my life and decide once and for all whether it is interesting or boring. Hopefully I can keep up with this, but at the end of a month I hope to tally up all my interesting and boring days and make a decision on whether or not my life has enough pizazz. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, let's start by writing about last night. Last night I actually did something that I will deem as "interesting." I went to a Jewish Synagogue and celebrated Simchat Torah. My son's Webelos Den Leader is Jewish, and as a Den we are visiting a bunch of different churches (and synagogues). Next week we'll probably visit my church (which should provide me with another interesting event in my life).

Anyway, last night was Simchat Torah or the holiday of "rejoicing with the law." It was the first time I had ever been to a synagogue. Simchat Torah, and its sister holiday of Shemini Atzeret, mark the end and beginning of a year of reading the Torah. As you may know, the Torah is the first five books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy), and it is the most sacred text in the Jewish faith. In the synagogue the Torah is kept in the "ark" at the front of the sanctuary (?) and it is in scroll form.

The service started out with some singing and chanting in Hebrew. Needless to say, I was completely lost, but it was very interesting. Oh, and I had to wear a yamika. After that, it was time for the "rejoicing" aspect of the service, and this was really interesting. The rabbi called for certain members of the synagogue to come up and take the Torahs out of the ark (this synagogue had about 5 Torahs). He announced that their would be 7 hakafots (pronounced "ha-ka-fa") and that other members would hold the Torahs for each one. Ha! I was so lost. But again, very interesting.

After this announcement, the band started in, and the people holding the Torahs started to dance around the sanctuary. Baloons and streamers dropped from ceileing and everyone literally began celebrating. Everyone reached out to touch the Torah, or kiss it by way of kissing a book and then touching the Torah. My kids loved it. We all danced around for probably a half an hour, and then the rabbi said, "For the second hakafot we will use people over 40."

I thought to myself, "That was only the first hakafot? And we've got six more to go? Wow! These people really like to rejoice in the Torah! We're going to be here until midnight!"

In actuality, each hakafot after was steadily shorter and shorter until we finished with the 7th hakafot. Then, the rabbi took out one of the scrolls and asked the synagogue members to roll it out and hold it up. It was about as long as half the sanctuary. Then, he went through it and described where each book begins and ends, and important parts throughout the text. It was fascinating. Those holding it up also could not touch it with their fingers. They had to use napkins. I missed if this was because finger oil could damage it, or if it was because the Torah is sacred. They even let my older son hold up a part of it. I thought that was pretty neat (given the scroll was probably over 200 years old) and so did he.

After that, the service ended and we went to the reception area for some refreshments. All in all, it was a very interesting evening.

So, here begins my tally:

Interesting day: 1
Boring day: 0

Most of my days will probably not be as interesting as yesterday. But we shall see.

Posted by snackeru at 12:58 PM | Comments (5) | Boring vs. Interesting | Life