Category "Cheesehead Craig"

Category "Life"

Category "Stadiums 2006"

Category "Twins"

Life is good

• What the heck people!?!?!? What the heck am I supposed to write about? For the past three nights I have sat down at my computer ready to lay into those morons at the legislature only to realize they have actually passed a workable stadium bill! Can you believe it? Who am I supposed to lay into now? This recent development has changed my life. You remember the Seinfeld episode where George stops having sex and becomes more intelligent? That is now happening to me. Not thinking about stadiums has freed up oodles of time and brain waves. I can feel myself getting smarter, healthier, happier. Needless to say, I am a better person because the legislature passed a workable stadium bill. In fact, the Minnesota legislature may have actually saved my life (if not my marriage). It is a strange feeling not having to think about stadiums. I kinda like it.

• So, Cheesehead Craig and I were watching the Twins game on Sunday when we started talking about the players on the current Twins roster that will be around when the new stadium opens in 2010. Specifically, we asked the question, what 5 players do you want to see on the Twins roster when the new stadium opens in 2010? What five players do you want to still see in a Twins uniform in 2010? Anyway, here is the list I came up with:

Johnan Santana
Francisco Liriano
Joe Mauer
Justin Moreneau
Torii Hunter

Yep, that is my list and I'm sticking to it. Santana and Liriano are no brainers, Mauer is a must have, and Moreneau ... I just really like him. But more than anything, I want to see Torii Hunter in a Twins uniform in 2010. I think he has given enough of himself and his body to stick around 4 more years. Pohlad has already said he wants Torii to stick around. Torii himself has said he wants to stick around. And this isn't because I think he is the best player, or because I don't think Denard Span will be ready, it is only because seeing Torii Hunter in center field on opening day 2010 will make me feel good. It will give me the warm fuzzies all over. It will make me happy. And I like to be happy. If you've got a list of your own, put it in the comments.

• So, I got an email from Jiminstpaul today. Jiminstpaul has been reading this blog almost as long as Cheesehead Craig, and more importantly Jiminstpaul is putting together the big New Ballpark Celebration going on this Thursday at the Summit Brewery Rathskellar (you are invited). Anyway, when Jim first came up with this idea last year to hold a "ballpark celebration" it was going to be just for "Greet Machiners" ... maybe 20-30 people who read this blog and who would be interested in getting together to quaff a few brews in the company of friends. Well, Jim now tells me that his little party has been advertised in the Star Tribune and on Cities 97. What was originally going to be 20-30 people may now actually be hundreds of people. So, are you coming? I'll remind you again tomorrow.

• So, I got a comment today from long time reader, and stadium opponent, David Wintheiser that was just too good to not highlight:

Betty Crocker Park. Come on.

General Mills has long been a supporter of pro sports in the Cities - they had a long-standing agreement with the Vikings to purchase unsold tickets so that Vikes games wouldn't be blacked out on local TV, though that agreement finally ended some time around the start of the Red McCombs era. It's a well-known Minnesota company with strong ties, would make a nice family-friendly image, and opens up some interesting cross-marketing opportunities, since food is a big reason to go to a game (and Hormel will still be there regardless).

And those of us who aren't quite classy enough to get behind the ballpark now that it's a fait accompli can refer to the place as 'The Crock'. It's a win-win!

I'm sorry, but that is funny. "The Crock!" Genius! David! Where the heck have you been all this time? By the way, I think some Summit Brewery fans/employees have made my little poll on the ballpark's potential name a little less than "scientific." For shame! I'm of half a mind to declare Land O'Lakes Park the winner and start the negotiations for naming rights! Don't mess with the Greet Machine!

• Finally, back to my opening point. What the heck am I supposed to write about now that the legislature has passed a ballpark bill? I'm sure I'll write about more ballpark stuff as the news comes out, but 2010 is four years away, and as I said above, I don't want to think about this anymore. It isn't healthy.

So, after the big New Ballpark Celebration, I may take a little break. I've got to regroup and "reinvent" this little site. I may talk more about music, or religion, or books, or libraires (I am a librarian), or maybe all of the above, including new ballparks. We'll see. Whatever the case, I am looking forward to a little vacation. Hopefully I'll see you on Thursday!

Posted by snackeru at 8:26 PM | Comments (14) | Cheesehead Craig | Life | Stadiums 2006 | Twins

Category "Cheesehead Craig"

Songs for a Desert Island - Part VI

Back by popular demand, it's the Songs for a Desert Island! *people cheering, music playing* My lovely wife had originally thought we could put a twist on it by labelling this "Songs for a Dessert Island" and have people post their favorite songs about desserts, and I immediately thought of "Wierd Al" Yankovic's "I Love Rocky Road" (I think that he is too much for this blog to handle, so I just couldn't bring myself to do an entry on him). This theme of desserts seemed like a good idea, but I just cannot imagine that there are that many songs about desserts out there, but if you can think of some, feel free to comment.

Do you have a song that has a special meaning to you, one that brings back memories of another time or a really strong emotion? I have a couple, one is "Jump Around" by the House of Pain. This song is played between the 3rd and 4th quarters at UW Badger home football games. This song is the catalyst that brings back the whole college experience for me. However, the one that I would have to say is my favorite song of all time is "Black" by Pearl Jam. To say that it is an intensely emotional song about lost love and heartache is an understatement.

Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
Were laid spread out before me as her body once did
All five horizons revolved around her soul
As the earth to the sun
Now the air I tasted and breathed has taken a turn
Ooh, and all I taught her was everything
Ooh, I know she gave me all that she wore

And now my bitter hands chafe beneath the clouds
Of what was everything
Oh, the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...

I take a walk outside
I'm surrounded by some kids at play
I can feel their laughter, so why do I sear?
Oh, and twisted thoughts that spin round my head
I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning
How quick the sun can, drop away

And now my bitter hands cradle broken glass
Of what was everything
All the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...
All the love gone bad turned my world to black
Tattooed all I see, all that I am, all I'll ever be...yeah...
Uh huh...uh huh...ooh...

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a sun
In somebody else's sky, but why
Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine?

Just reading the lyrics does not do this song justice. Eddie Vedder sings this song with how your heart sounds after a breakup. You have to listen to the song and hear the way he sings it. It is not like the fluffy lovesick songs that Air Supply sings or the smooth sadness of a Tony Bennett ballad. Eddie sings the song with emotion that is beyond agony. He starts the song off mellow and slowly throughout the song, increases the intensity of his emotion. His voice reaches the depths of despair with the last lines "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why, why, why can't it be, can't it be mine?" and hits these lines with such force that at this point, you feel emotionally drained. This is the only song I have ever heard that has done this to me. When I hear this song in the car, I have to stop and listen and sing along. I don't care who sees me from another car, as this song stirs my soul.

There are artists out there that seem to excel at certain aspects of music: Bruce Springsteen can sing about the working man better than anyone, Bono and U2 can bring Christian themes to worldwide pop/rock music without peer, and just one line from a Frank Sinatra song can bring someone to a smoky club where everyone is dressed to the nines. For me, Eddie Vedder can tap into the raw emotion of pain and hurt and allow it come out, without it turning into sheer anger, but rather leaves you feeling a sense of relief when he is done.

Posted by snackeru at 11:34 PM | Comments (6) | Cheesehead Craig

Category "Cheesehead Craig"

Interview with Dave St. Peter

Well you are reading the headline correct here. This is my big surprise I was torturing Shane about all last week. On a lark, I just sent an email to the Twins with some stadium and general questions for this site. Lo and behold, Dave St. Peter, president of the Twins contacts me willing to talk. We had a very brief discussion, but Dave was quite pleasant and put up with my pathetic interviewing skills. You think you are going to get this type of interview on TwinsGeek? Batgirl? Aaron's Baseball Blog? Bah, not a chance. Only the Greet Machine can bring you this type of baseball and Twins stadium insight. Those bloggers may have been smart enough to score a hand-held recorder instead of writing furiously to keep up, but we believe that we need to do things old school here.

Given I had no recording device, I will put a disclaimer on this interview. I did my best to get his exact quotes on here, but I had to paraphrase and edit. So Mr. St. Peter, hopefully this is an accurate representation of our conversation. That said, here's the discussion we had, and again sir, thank you very much for your time.

1 - How much, either in a percentage or in dollar figures, would the ownership be willing to contribute to a new stadium?

Legislation that has been proposed has the owner’s contribution at approximately 1/3. Other proposals have less but in MN the threshold has been 1/3. Any deal that is done in MN will be very favorable to the public versus other markets.

2 – How likely is contraction, given the success of the Twins in the last 3 years and the fact they seem well poised for the next 5-6 years?

Contraction has nothing to do with the product on the field. It has to do with the long-term viability of the club. Currently the collective bargaining agreement bars this through the 2006 season. Bud Selig has said that it is not a necessary alternative. That said, the situation here is murky at best. Relocation can be an option down the road, but not with this ownership.

3 - What exactly does the Twins ownership do to attempt to get new legislation passed to help with public stadium financing?

Over the years, we have employed a number of lobbyists to converse with legislators and also have had direct meetings with them as well, whether it is a member of the Pohlad family or a representative from the ball club. We have also done a fair amount of advertising in years past. Currently the team is in a holding pattern to see how this new legislature is heading. Given that the entire House has been through elections, need to see what the stance is.

4 – On to the team itself, what are the main points of emphasis this off season for the Twins, from a team standpoint? Now that Johan is a Cy Young winner, is a rather hefty extension in the works to keep him a Twin for the next decade?

Obviously right now Brad Radke is the main player we are going after, given we have just offered him a 2 year contract. Guzman and Koskie are free agents and Jones is up for arbitration. It’s a great day here that Johan has won the Cy Young award. He is eligible for arbitration come January-February and we will deal with him as that comes up. Right now the outfield is deep, we have the best bullpen in the division and the starting pitching could be the best as well. The obvious questions are if Justin Morneau can play a whole season at first, and Joe Mauer’s health. However, the team is very well poised for a 4th title for the upcoming season. Certainly Terry Ryan and Ron Gardenhire have done a great job with this team as well.

Posted by snackeru at 10:43 PM | Comments (4) | Cheesehead Craig

Category "Cheesehead Craig"

The Era of the Cheesehead has begun!

Now that Shane is away, this blog is mine! Bow before my power!

Ok, now that that is out of my system, on to the article!
First off, the Packers came out and squeaked out a win against the Vikings. The Packers flat out dominated this game for the better part of 3 quarters. The Pack failing the 4th down conversion instead of kicking the field goal gave the Vikings the opening they needed to get back into the game. This was a great game by both Favre and Daunte. Daunte did his best John Elway/Brett Favre comeback impression, but just fell short. Here's my one complaint about the game: Many of the Viking fans I have seen are blaming the officials lost the game for the Vikes. It's the same pathetic excuse after every loss. It's a repeating mantra I keep hearing: "We are the better team, but the refs screwed us" Sorry gang, but giving up 34 points and over 400 yards is not the refs fault, it's the defense. I realize that I'll take some heat for this, but this is 4 losses that the Viking fans have complained about the officials. This defense is bad (hey, the Packers know about bad defenses this year), that's what is to blame.

The Packers have come back from the edge of the Abyss just 4 weeks ago. This team is on a roll and in sole possession of 1st place in the division. It's a great day in Minnesota.

Posted by snackeru at 9:16 PM | Comments (1) | Cheesehead Craig