St. Paul hockey dad gets six months for attacking coach

A St. Paul man was sentenced to six months in jail for attacking and threatening his son's youth hockey team last year in Inver Groove Heights, news sources report.

Thomas Angelo Tonda,50, pleaded guilty to one count of felony making terroristic threats, and a misdemeanor fifth-degree assault charge was released, according to the Pioneer Press.

"I'm extremely sorry about what happened," Tonda said before the court Tuesday. "I let the association down. I let the kids down. I let my son down," according to Star Tribune.
The fight erupted at a Dec. 6 practice the when Tonda reportedly confronted the assistant coach after he disciplined Tonda's son for swinging his stick like a baseball bat. Tonda preceded put the coach in a chokehold and threatened to kill him, Pioneer Press reports. Tonda's son was a player on the team, which is made up of boys ages 11-13, Star Tribune reports.

The coach was not hospitalized, but he did miss more than a month of work due to neck pain from the incident, according to the Star Tribune.

In 2009, Tonda faced up to seven years in prison for violating a five-year probation from a 2009 felony drug conviction, reports Pioneer Press.

Judge Timothy McManus also gave Tonda a 21-month stayed jail sentence and ordered him to do 350 hours of community work service and 50 days of sentence to service, Pioneer Press reports.