Colton Iverson to leave Minnesota Gophers basketball

The Golden Gophers will be down yet another player next year as Colton Iverson has been released from his scholarship and leaving the University of Minnesota as reported by the Pioneer Press.

The reason for Iverson's transfer is unclear but he did send an e-mail statement to the Pioneer Press.

"My experience at Minnesota was great, but my family and I decided that it is best that we both move on," Iverson said to the Pioneer Press via e-mail. "I have a lot of respect for everyone in this program, and I wish Gopher Nation the best of luck."

According to the Pioneer Press, Matt Slieter the spokesman for the Gophers said he could not "confirm or deny" that Iverson was leaving the team.

Yankton Daily Press & Dakaton reports that Iverson started 11 games under Gophers head coach Tubby Smith, and this year has averaged 5.4 points and 5.0 rebounds in 31 games for the Golden Gophers this past season.

Iverson who is from Yankton, South Dakota stated in an interview with the Press & Dakaton last December that he had a hard time adjusting to Minnesota and the play of the Big 10.

"It was definitely tough to adjust to right away, especially coming from a small town like Yankton," Iverson told the Press & Dakaton in an interview last December. "When I first got here, I was pretty weak. Then I had to go against those giant guys in the Big Ten (Conference), and that was definitely a big change for me."

It is unclear what is in Iverson's future, he still has eligibility for one year to play for another division one team, but it has not been announced to where Iverson will be transferring. However with players like Ralph Sampson III and other, Iverson may not be sorely missed

.

This page contains a single entry by soczy001 published on March 27, 2011 9:32 PM.

Mississippi river reaches flood levels was the previous entry in this blog.

Geraldine Ferraro dies at 75 is the next entry in this blog.