Jill Vanheest was at an Olive Garden in Lakeland, Flordia, when her two-year-old unexpectantantly got bloodshot eyes and started getting in and out of his seat, talking louder and louder. Eventually the two-year-old curled up in his mother's lap, that's when the server came and yanked the children's cup from the table claiming their had been a mistake, reported CNN.
Vanheest found that her child was given sangria instead of orange juice and that he was exibiting the signs of being drunk on March 31st.
After almost 30 minutes, the server told the parents of the mix up where they rushed the two-year-old to the hospital who exhibited a blood alcohol content of .10.
"How can you be so disorganized that alcoholic beverages can even get into a kid's cup?" VanHeest asked CBS News.
"It was an extremely regrettable accident," and, "We took swift, appropriate action to deal with this situation," Oliver Garden spokesman Rich Jeffers said in a statement reported by CBS News.
CNN reports that this happened also at a Applebee's in Michigan on April 8th. A child was given magerita mix instead of the ordered kids meal. Both chains have apologized to both parents and children and have since changed procedures on pouring children's drinks.
In order to keep Sangria from being mixed up again for a child's orange juice it won't be make in advance, and instead made from scratch to avoid any further mistakes.
"It will be prepared from scratch when ordered, as is the case with all other alcoholic beverages," Jeffers said.