Recently in National News Category

George Zimmerman reaches out to Martin family

George Zimmerman, the man responsible for 17-year-old Trayvon Martin's death, extended an apology to the youth's mother and father at bail hearing Friday.
Zimmerman's apology came unexpected at the rather routine hearing, reported Fox 9 news.
"I want to say I am sorry for the loss of your son," he said. "I did not know how old he was, I thought he was a little bit younger than I am, and I did not know if he was armed or not."
Zimmerman faces murder charges for the Feb. 26 shooting of Martin and after the hearing his bond was set at $150,000, said a CNN report. Fox 9 stipulated that if Zimmerman were to post this bond, he would be required wear a GPS monitoring device and adhere to a curfew and would not be able to drink or possess a firearm.
Trayvon Martin's parents were present for Zimmerman's apology at the hearing but were not moved.
"Zimmerman makes this self-serving apology in court 50 days later," said Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump. "The real George Zimmerman website...never once said 'Im sorry'. Why now?"

Well-known marijuana activist Richard Lee said he plans to give up ownership of his pot dispensary and the famed Oaksterdam University after agents from the Internal Revenue Service and Drug Enforcement Agency raided the school on Monday morning.
"I've been doing this for a long time. Over 20 years... I kind of feel like I've done my time," Lee told the Los Angeles Times. "It's time for others to take over."
Lee founded Oaksterdam University in 2007 and it is now the most high-profile university that teaches people how to grow marijuana, The Washington Post reported. In addition to horticulture, the university also teaches the business and legality behind running a dispensary.
Lee told the Los Angeles Times that he was unaware of what triggered the raid but The Washington Post reported the raid as part of a criminal investigation into activities on the campus.
According to the DEA, Oaksterdam University will stay open for the time being and will operate without its founder, though Lee still plans to stay involved with marijuana activism.
"This may free me up to able to go campaign," Lee said to the Los Angeles Times. "We are getting very close to a tipping point on this issue."

This page is an archive of recent entries in the National News category.

Local News is the previous category.

Notable and Analysis is the next category.