From Colonial Latin American studies to Global Colonial studies in History of the Great Kingdom of China by Juan González de Mendoza

The Spanish & Portuguese Research Group invites you to a presentation by Raúl Marrero-Fente, Associate Professor of Spanish & Law.

Friday, December 2nd
3:00pm
112 Folwell Hall (Room Change)

This paper aims to provide a new interpretation of Juan González de Mendoza's History of the Great Kingdom of China (1585), the most important Spanish text on China in the 16th-Century. By focusing on the cultural production and practices of the Spanish empire in China, I argue that Spanish imperialism cannot be understood in isolation from other geographical regions, and from the global exchange from which it emerged. In my paper I explore the formation of Spanish empire in the Pacific Rim and their global connections. By adopting an interdisciplinary and cross-cultural comparative approach, my work is an attempt to rethink and revise the concepts of imperialism and colonialism, as we take into account the mutual influences among world regions. It was precisely the Spanish empire that connected and combined the histories of Europe, Africa, the Americas, Asia, and the Caribbean, giving way to the making of a global community in the early modern period.

This page contains a single entry by Kathren Lundquist published on November 30, 2011 10:53 AM.

"History, Myth, and Landscape in José Lezama Lima's La expresión americana" was the previous entry in this blog.

Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics Assoc. (HaLLA) Meeting is the next entry in this blog.