The Department of Spanish & Portuguese Studies would like to congratulate two of our faculty members that received a 2012 Imagine Fund Award. They are, Assistant Professor Ana Forcinito for her project, "Mirrors and Mirages: Human Rights, the Gaze and the Representation of Sex Trafficking," and Professor Carol Klee for her project, "Indigenous Influence in the Personal Narratives of Andean Migrants to Lima, Peru."
The Imagine Fund grant programs support projects in the arts, humanities and design at the University of Minnesota. The programs are supported by a generous grant from the McKnight Foundation, from new internal reallocations from the University of Minnesota Graduate School and the Office of the Vice President for Research, and from the creation of the chairs through the Permanent University Fund.
Following are previous recipients, within our department, that have received Imagine Funds.
Previous Imagine Fund Award Recipients from our Department
- Professor Fernando Arenas for "Between Migration and Citizenship: Cultural Imaginings at the Borderlines of Africa and Europe"
- Michelle Hamilton for "Visions and Delights: 15th-Century Jewish Philosophy and the Spanish Literary Tradition"
- Associate Professor Luis Ramos-Garcia for "Research on Alternative Colombian Theater: 25 Years of Resistance"
- Associate Professor Ana Forcinito for "Testimonial Writing, Human Rights and Law : Gender and Cultural Politics in the Uruguayan Post-dictatorship"
- Associate Professor Fernando Arenas for "Between Emigration and Citizenship: Cultural Imaginings of the Cape Verdean Diaspora in Portugal"
- Professor Carol Klee for "Dialect Contact in Peru: Variation and Change in Contemporary Limeño Spanish"
- Luis Ramos-Garcia for "The Independent Peruvian Theater Movement in times of War"
For more information and to see who else in the University received awards you can visit the Imagine Fund website at: http://www.artsandhumanities.umn.edu/ and CLA's Press Release about the Imagine Fund Awards at: http://www1.umn.edu/news/news-releases/2012/UR_CONTENT_371362.html