PR and Class....

I am doing this a week late, because of my trip to Puerto Rico. Just had a little too much to do before I left to be able to log in and write this in a timely fashion. However, I found the case study very informative. Having us act like teachers at a university who would eventually have to work “on-line” is almost like acting out who my clients may or may not be in the future. I know that the activity we did in class is something I will be facing very soon in my professional life. I will be in charge of a web site that is being put together with grant money. (Can’t be specific here, because of the granter wanting to inform other applicants that we had received it...)

Back to the point…

I will be dealing with two very knowledgeable individuals in their subject areas, two people that I respect and have learned a lot from in the past year. It will be my job to tell them what can and can’t be done on line and how it should “look” to enable the user to see the information clearly and concisely. I think the biggest hurtle is going to be to get the researchers to shorten their analysis that is given on the web page and place it in PDFs. It will be my job to make sure that the end user is always considered. Note, the end user that I see is someone that may or may not have web experience. I know that both Researchers currently are not comfortable working on the web and ask me to do a lot of the “research” over the web. I am trying to mirror the web site after them. I feel that the people that will be researching using this site will be their colleagues and associates and therefore there may be many of them who have the same “fear” of the web as the researchers themselves. I think keeping this basic “user” in mind will be more and more difficult as time progresses because I feel that the researchers will get use to using the World Wide Web and forget what it felt like to be searching information for the first time.

Posted by spenc054 at February 11, 2005 9:04 AM