Extra! Extra! DMCA Hearings - Get it While Its Hot!

Just a heads up, the DMCA tri-annual hearings (section 1201) were held this past week beginning at Stanford and moving to Washington D.C. For most, this is hardly noteworthy, simple routine democracy in action. For media professionals, this is indeed dramatic theater, pointed out by Wendy Seltzer. UofM's own (Morris) Prof. Tisha Turk referred to as a "remix artist" also testified. A decision on DMCA exemption is expected from LOC Librarian, James Billington, by October, 28 2009. I am anxiously awaiting the ruling, as we deal with digital media copyright/fair use issues on a regular basis.

Between me and my husband we've owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I've settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass' favor.