New Visual Literacy Standards from ACRL Group!

The Image Resources Interest Group of ACRL announced a couple months ago that they will soon be developing Visual Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education. This will be a 4 member team doing much of the work, but they are seeking outside input through an interdisciplinary VL Advisory Group.

The VL Task Force will hold an open meeting at ALA on Sunday, June 27, 10:30-12:00, and I plan on attending.

I believe the potential significance of these standards can not be underestimated. While other national organizations have been quick to focus on aural/visual/media literacy concepts, such as the National Association of Media Literacy Education (NAMLE), the Consortium of Colleges and Universities Media Centers (CCUMC), and Educause/New Media Consortium (NMC) partnerships, ALA and ACRL in particular, have been slow to adapt to the multimodal information environment we live in today.

Though the 2006 ACRL Guidelines for Media Resources mention support for visual and media literacy the focus is strongly on the collection, and only one sentence of the document even eludes to concepts of visual and media literacy (sec. 5.5), without so much as a definition.

It should also be noted that one of the outcomes of the 1999 ACRL Information Literacy Standards, specifically mentions multiple forms of information (standard 1; performance indicator 2 (c)), though not many resources have been provided from ACRL to assist practitioners with implementing programming, nor has awareness been at the forefront of ALA, (except for media groups such as the Media/Image Interests Resource Group, and the Video Round Table (VRT) of ALA):

"Identifies the value and differences of potential resources in a variety of formats (e.g., multimedia, database, website, data set, audio/visual, book)".

While I appreciate these guidelines and inclusion in the IL Standards, I believe the power of formal visual literacy (and inevitably, multimedia) standards will hopefully, help raise the collective level of consciousness on the importance, value, and means by which multimodal production and consumption are necessary skill sets in the 21st century, and the potential they play in engaged learning.

For more information on visual literacy, please consult the International Visual Literacy Association (IVLA) and the AT&T white paper on Visual Literacy.

You made some decent points there. I did a search on the issue and found most individuals will consent with your blog.

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My website is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would definitely benefit from some of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Appreciate it!

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely great. I really like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a great website.

I'm extremely able to uncover this website. I want to to thank you to your time, and for this kind of study - When i definitely appreciated each bit of it, plus already have you e book marked to check out unique stuff.

Thanks a lot for this.. by the way, your website structure is definitely superb.

What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I'm hoping to contribute & assist different customers like its aided me. Good job.

The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod's. It works well, but isn't as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that's not an issue, but if you're planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod's larger screen and better browser may be important.

Between me and my husband we've owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I've settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

Hey this is a wonderful looking site, is wordpress? Forgive me for the foolish question but if so, what theme is? Thanks!

I searched deep within myself when reading your content and it touched me deeply. Thank you

soaking in get these say was with like Toilet