Recently in Media Literacy Category

Blackboard to partner with NBC...Warning rant coming..

Not the most timely, but it was reported back in July that Blackboard would partner with NBC News Archives for content. I do not see too much concern expressed about this announcement, and I certainly believe that multimedia can enhance the learning experience; but, seriously look at this announcement:

"NBC's brand as a news authority combined with the superb production values of their footage will help educators craft richer and more contextually relevant courses for their students. Providing access to NBC News Archives on Demand is an important step in our strategy to assemble the world's best digital content for the Blackboard community" - Ray Henderson, President, Blackboard.

So I ask, is Blackboard an empty pipe or a content distributor? If they are the latter then it should be made apparent because it is uncomfortable when a commercial enterprise has this degree of direct student access. While I am certain there is quality footage in the NBC News Archives, there is equally (and arguably better) quality illustrative/supplemental footage elsewhere: Internet Archives, PBS, and Annenberg, just to name a few.

As long as students and faculty are educated on effective use and critical response to media (and provided support in finding resources) the sky isn't falling. But, the movement of distribution channels to selectively feed targeted (even if user-driven) information is troubling. Fortunately, there are CMS choices in the form of Moodle and Ning, among others.

Have I gone off the deep end? Please comment?

I was reading a Columbia Journalism Review article (referencing NY Times), about the new Google Labs Fast Flip web tool, and had to try it for myself. To run a trial, I typed in one of my favorite singers, Regina Spektor, and three articles immediately pop-up (two from SPIN.com, one from Billboard.com). This thing is quick! The results were displayed in seconds, providing the text of the story and an image of the originating webpage, which can then be read with a link to the longer article. In my opinion, this is a more pleasurable way to consume media than through aggregators or RSS feeds. Perhaps even more exciting, as reported by the NY Times, these technologies, coupled with new efforts from Google to share revenue with print publishers, might assist print publishers to some degree. How much still remains to be seen. At any rate, I believe it will be interesting to see how these new forms of display interplay with advances in mobile technologies and the way we consume media.

Thought provoking article on media literacy

While conducting some research, I came across Kellner and Share's 2007 article "Critical media literacy is not an option." This thought provoking article does a fantastic job of highlighting and critiquing four approaches to teaching media literacy. The protectionist approach, media arts education approach, media literacy movement approach, and finally, critical media literacy. As social scientists, they advocate for the critical media literacy approach that combines the other three, but emphasizes a cultural studies component.

Kellner and Share argue that media literacy should be taught to understand the relationship between power and information, and that their approach, critical media literacy, "focuses on ideology critique and analyzing the politics of representation of crucial dimensions of gender, race, class, and sexuality; incorporating alternative media production and expanding textual analysis to include issues of social context, control, resistance, and pleasure." They continue to suggest that critical media literacy also "expands literacy to include information literacy, technical literacy, multimodal literacy, and other attempts to broaden print literacy concepts to include different tools and modes of communicating (62)."

Great faculty interview on how student produced video assignments can be used to teach media literacy.
http://wic.library.upenn.edu/mashup/facvideo.html

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Media Literacy category.

Integrating Student Produced Media is the previous category.

New Technologies is the next category.