Recently in New Technologies Category

Ahead of Lorcan's discussion folks, I just can't get over this for video aggregation. Please check out Rippol.com, even if you have to quickly sign up. The personalized recommender integration with a choice of viewing recommendations based either on user reported preferences or peer views; the diverse, and yes, apparently legal content (my favorite is the course lectures in the "academic section"); the simple, intuitive, and aesthetically pleasing interface.

If we could deliver like this also for you know, the stuff we actually pay a lot of money for (at least non-print media, but maybe print too), then I would be pretty happy. The only thing missing in addition, is the personal connection suggestions that we could add by knowing our clients - the traditional expertise of the librarian that I believe still holds great value (like the video request I had to look for content of a heart pumping blood).

I still have to play more to see that what I mentioned holds true throughout, but I am very much smitten by what I see thus far.

I was reading a Columbia Journalism Review article (referencing NY Times), about the new Google Labs Fast Flip web tool, and had to try it for myself. To run a trial, I typed in one of my favorite singers, Regina Spektor, and three articles immediately pop-up (two from SPIN.com, one from Billboard.com). This thing is quick! The results were displayed in seconds, providing the text of the story and an image of the originating webpage, which can then be read with a link to the longer article. In my opinion, this is a more pleasurable way to consume media than through aggregators or RSS feeds. Perhaps even more exciting, as reported by the NY Times, these technologies, coupled with new efforts from Google to share revenue with print publishers, might assist print publishers to some degree. How much still remains to be seen. At any rate, I believe it will be interesting to see how these new forms of display interplay with advances in mobile technologies and the way we consume media.

Wolfram + Kosmix = Brains with Sensitivity...

Hi Everyone,

I realize I have not posted in a while, but it's never too late to contribute. I have been working on a new digital media strategy, and thinking of a new ways to provide access to the University's media collections, as well as, some of the great media resources available on the "Internets". Well, two tools give me hope for the future, if not inspiration for the present. The first is Kosmix. Kosmix is a 3 year old, well capitilized, vertical search tool developed by the folks behind the Amazon.com shopping cart (and partially funded by Jeff Bezos). Kosmix is noted for the way that it aggregates and displays content in a media-rich context by dynamically comparing resources from a broad range of resources.

The second tool that excites me is Wolfram Alpha, from the makers of Mathematica (Stephen Wolfram). Wolfram Alpha's goal is for individuals to be able to aggregate, compare, and display results from data sets from disparate resources available on the Web. This tool, set to launch by the end of May, was demonstrated recently at the Berkman Center of Harvard Law.

In light of a recent discussion I had with a staff member from the U's Institute on the Environment about how media might be able to assist environmental policy students in bringing awareness to environment issues, in addition to how scientific researchers might be able to use media to better explain their findings; I started to think, "wouldn't it be amazing if we could combine the potential of Wolfram to make meaning and display data from disparate sources, with media related to the components of those resources."

Take this example:

Whereas
data set (a)= unemployment figures for a city
data set (b)= use of food banks for a city

a correlation might be determined.

Then:
text, video, images, and audio (i.e.,podcast) of various media resources discussing the matter could also be displayed and user generated content, "mashed up" to tell a story.

Now that would be a teaching and learning experience for all parties involved! Not quite utopian semantic web, but much better than current data discoverability and display experience.

Please share your thoughts..

-Scott

Touch Interface

I ran into this video demonstration (http://video.popularmechanics.com/services/link/bcpid932579976/bclid932553050/bctid933742930) of Microsoft's touchscreen demo, and it made me think about the impact these devices will have on the way we engage with media.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the New Technologies category.

Media Literacy is the previous category.

Print Mass Media is the next category.