Phelps finished career with gold medal

Michael Phelps concluded his Olympic career by winning gold in the men's 4x100 meter medley relay Saturday night, the New York Times said.

Phelps, 27, won his 22nd career medal and his 18th gold medal with his victory in the relay, both Olympic records, the New York Times said. Phelps received one final trophy, a small statuette meant to commemorate his place as the most decorated Olympian of all-time, shortly after the race.

"It's kind of weird looking at this and seeing 'Greatest Olympian of All Time,' " Phelps said to the New York Times. "I finished my career the way I wanted to. I think that's pretty cool."

Immediately after the race ended, all of Phelps's rivals formed a line to shake his hand, and his teammates gave him hugs, the Washington Post said. Phelps said he will not participate in the 2016 Olympics and he would retire from swimming in 2012.

Phelps began his Olympic career in 2000 in Sydney, Australia, when he was 15 years old. He won six gold medals and two bronze medals in Athens in 2004 and eight gold medals in Beijing in 2008. Phelps finished with four golds and two silvers in London.