« The Technology Monopoly | Main | ACES »

Fabrication

To begin this final required entry, I would like to say that I found Louis Kahn's reading to be extremely difficult. It is interesting, but after reading it five time, I am still not entirely sure I understand it.

Neil Gershenfeld's Fab and Louis Kahn's Silence and Light are similar strains of thought seperated by different conclusions. Fab deals with the creative process and what can be produced when the human mind is allowed to run rampant while Silence and Light deals with creativity in architecture.

Both articles describe creative designs that are not neccesarily viable construction. For example, the personal scream space idea requires a sound damper. How do you make a sound damper? Also, I believe Silence and Light describes a building made entirely of shadows. This would be unbelievably cool, but it does not really work.

I believe that both of the articles are really trying to emphasize the importance of creativity. It is the designers greatest and most valued asset. All great buildings start with a creative idea. Designers should not feel pressured into making something they hate because the end product will lack a very important element, the touch of an artist. As the final readings, I believe they both push the powerful message of why we create. Simply, we strive for creative freedom, and the beauty of seeing one's ideas come to fruition.