My thoughts.... again, 9

The Honors groups did a magnificant job, and except for a small technology malfunction, I stayed very aware of the happenings. I feel as though I have a better understanding of the Millemium goals, and wish that we had talked about them more in lecture. I will now donate money to buy nets in Africa, and thuroughly enjoyed the Nets game!
great work,
and those are my thoughts

My thoughs... 8

So, after listening to the Honors presentations, I realized something. My project was not up to par with some of them. The group that focused on a sustainably world, had many great ideas. By far my favorite however was the re-ferbishment of Riverside Plaza. The area was designed by Ralph Rapson, so we know that is has meaning to the Twin Cities. I thought that their plan of action was straight forward, and informative.
I really liked it! great job guys!

The real Service Learning 5!

Ok, so I went this week, and got the fifth degree from Pearl again. I apologized, and she seemed to accept it, so I started helping her with her homework. She is a great girl, and so are the other kids in my group! they all are... however I did pick up a nickname.... Hardie, apparently Jennifer had seen the Hardy Boys the night before... yay for me!

Service Learning 5

ok, so I am sick, I missed service learning, but I did e-mail them. I will write more when I feel better....

Service Learning... 4

Ok, when I got to service learning, Pearl was upset. "Where were you?!" she asked. I said that I was sorry I was late, I had a test, but she didn't warm back up to me, until it was time for me to go.
I am amazed at how quickly we are welcomed by the students. It is like we become part of their family or a very close friend.
I really enjoy it, and recommend it to anyone with a spare couple of hours!

Entry 7

These Pictures are my ideas for a Portofolio cover to our Research Projects
View image

View image

View image

Service Learning.... 3

Ok, this time, the trip there was great.... the trip back sucked! I got lost just outside of downtown, and ended up outside downtown in the wrong direction. I was late for spanish, and I think that the bus systems in Minneapolis SUCK!
I am to tire to write more, besides that service learning is still awesome, the kids are great!

Service Learning, time 2

Ok, so the second trip to my ACES center took me a little longer than expected. We got on the wrong bus (which was still a 5) but ended up blocks away from where we were intentionally going. Although, once we got there, it was awesome! Pearl, one of the girls we help, is awesome. She enjoys giving us a hard time, and when we ask her to get to work, she does... usually. I am beginning to enjoy the service learning this semester, and cannot wait to go tomorrow!

Entry 6

There are many examples of Documentation styles that our group may use... the greatest influence to me would probably be Wikipedia, or encyclopedia Britanica... These two are types of Documentation. While Wikipedia may be called "unreliable" I feel quite the opposite... Wikipedia is checked hundreds of times per day, and with that many people reviewing it, I feel that there is very little doubt in most of the Scientific content.
wikipedia-logo.jpg
encyclopedia.jpg

Freedom, sweet freedom!!

If you were completely released from the constraits of the architecture school program, what would you do architecturally, artistically, bodily, lyrically, etc. that would still have an impact on your enviroment. describe a real or imagined place, which might allow you to do this. explore through images and text.

If I were to be "released" from the restraints of architecture, I can honestly say that I don't know what I'd do... probably think of new Mandles...

Values

Continue reading "Values" »

My Trip to Service Learning

So anyways, service learning has begun, and all that I can say is "I LOVE THIS PLACE!" The school is awesome, the kids are great, and the location is very far away from the big city (or at least a sling-shot rock away) however, it is awesome... I think that I found my service learning heaven.

Find a social design issue, here in the twin cities. document it and become an advocate for it

As the bus routes get bigger and more broad, the need for a service that connects all areas of the Twin Cities becomes more and more urgennt. This fact was put into reality when I was running late the other day for class. So, it just so happened that I desperatly needed a quick route back to the U, and all I needed was a bus on time. Nowadays, this seems more and more unlikely, it doesn't even seem possible to get the correct bus at the right time. How hard can it be?!

The design of the new Light Rail system could be the key to solving this problem... however, where is this new plan? Nowhere to be seen. Why you ask? because it is such a cause for debate that it does not seem viable at this time and place. Especially considering that it is so desperately need. I for one would be all for this Rail system. 1st it would mean faster and more efficient connections and transfers, 2nd it would mean that more people would be able to use it more often, and 3rd, it would mean hiring less people and therefore saving the Cities far more money in the long run. When do I see this happening? not while I'm at the U...

Continue reading "Find a social design issue, here in the twin cities. document it and become an advocate for it" »

Flow 2

Flow.jpg

Flow

The idea of flow has inspired many architects as well as artists to create some of the most beautiful works of art and sculpture in the world. Architectural artists such as Andy Goldsworthy take nature to the edge and back, pushing every inch of the way to create something truely unique. Flow in my mind represents how things connect and interact with eachother in the ever dynamic and changing world. Through this flow nature has given us rivers, hills, oceans, and forrests. The transformation of these natural wonders is beautiful, and elegent. Mother nature gives us energy to create, and be creative. She also gives us the inspiration to do things that one never thought was possible. The art of Andy Goldsworthy is proof of this with his many Urns.

The way that Andy uses nature, and "feels" how the stones and wood will react is intruiging. He does not work with gloves, nor machinery, and most of the time with only a small handful of help. He uses his senses to see what is next and how it will respond to small changes in wind or weather. If everyone were to look at the world through his eyes, the energy of nature would not be a mystery like it is.