Go With Your Gut

We've all had the indescribable experience where something deep down is swaying us towards one decision or another. As business professionals we often hear this sensation described as intuition, others often refer to it as a "gut feeling".

Regardless of what it's called, successful individuals appear to have better "gut feelings" than others, especially when it comes to the business world. Lucky for us, a recent study indicates we may be able to influence how just how effective these "gut feelings" really are and coincidentally, the answer may lie in our gut.

According to University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) researcher,

"women consuming probiotics showed greater connectivity between a key brainstem region known as the periaqueductal grey and cognition-associated areas of the prefrontal cortex. The women who ate no product at all, on the other hand, showed greater connectivity of the periaqueductal grey to emotion- and sensation-related regions, while the group consuming the non-probiotic dairy product showed results in between"

So why does this matter?

Well, whether you're meeting me in person or stumbling across my blog--Substitute Sam--it won't take long to discover this discovery is on-par with a personal belief success begins with the food we put in our bodies.

And because I encourage a healthy skepticism and constantly challenge my beliefs, I'll be the first to point out there are obvious incentives for Danone to conduct the study. Furthermore, it's difficult to evaluate the validity with a limited understanding of the testing methods and no certainty the scientists were completely ethical.

But, I can say with certainty this study will lead me to become more decisive as a decision-maker and leader in the business community by "going with my gut" more often!