Course Work Essay One Titles
Here are the essay titles for the first piece of course work as we discussed in the last class.
Answer one of the following questions:
1. Compare and contrast the differences between quantitative and qualitative research in social psychology
2. Using examples critically discuss how social cognition theory explains the way humans understand the social world
3. Evaluate the contribution of attribution theory to our understanding of humans as social animals
4. Discuss the role of non-verbal communication in social interaction
5. How do we come to form impressions of other people?
6. Critically evaluate the suggestion that people are influenced by others’ views of them.
• If you would prefer to write to a different title, please see me to agree a different version.
• You may want to write on a topic not so far covered, or not on this list. This is welcome, but again, check with me first.
• You should include some references to the literature, to lecture notes, or to some research, whatever your theme. This does not need to be detailed lists of highly up to date data. More important is it to show that you understand the concepts, how research can be used as evidence, that you can bring a critical view to bear on the material, and how it can help to illuminate real-life examples. Always include a bibliography at the end of the essay.
• Focus on the question throughout. Keep checking that what you are writing addresses the main issue.
• Homework essays should be 1500 words long plus or minus 150 words – ie between 1350 and 1650 words. If you go outside these limits you will lose marks.