« DESIGN STUDIO | Main | PLEASURES OF A GOURMET »

EAT LIKE A WILD MAN

elawm.jpg

The Ultimate Game and Fish Cookbook: 110 years of great Sports Afield Recipes (Gray, Rebecca, Ed.,1997)

This book was purchased new at a local Borders Bookstore, and contains a number of recipes from the hunting magazine Sports Afield, some of which date prior to 1900. The recipes are broken down into season, and then further into a number of animals that are available to hunt in that given season. Animals range from fish and deer, to iguana, crow, and mice.

What attracted me to this book-—and I use the term “attracted? loosely—was the sheer ridiculousness of many of the recipes (shish kabunny, chicken-fried iguana), as well as the fact that many of the recipes are not in the least bit appetizing (mouse stew, squirrel pot pie) and actually sound quite barbaric. Lastly, many of the recipes spare little in the brutal, graphic description of the death of the animal or in the details of preparation or cooking techniques.

Concept & Intent

The concept I would like to explore with this book is the conventional acceptance of animals for human consumption, using Eat Like a Wild Man as its base. This book is long, at over 300 pages, and as such, I would like to use the entire codex, breaking it up into five or six smaller books that explore this idea in different conceptual and formal ways. This set of books would then be housed together, perhaps in a slipcase or box. Concepts could range from issues of violence, ideology, health, ecological / environmental concerns, commercial agribusiness, and perhaps even contrasted notions of wild animals as creatures to be hunted and eaten (Eat Like a Wild Man) versus wild animals as creatures that aid and instruct human beings (mythologies and folktales).