Revision, Revision, Revision...

What tedium. I can now see why I never tried to do heavy revision before. So far I have revised my entire literacy autobiography, and about half of my inquiry paper. The one thing I know is that I will be able to meet Kirsten’s requirement for radical revision. I decided to try and focus on a specific aspect of my pieces and not try not to write about so many things. What this means is I can say more about my topic and be clearer about it. Does this mean it will be better, who knows. Well, maybe Kirsten does…

Now I am wondering about my reflection, but I think it should be ok because I will have my big paper for history done by Monday, except for a little tweaking, and I’ll have time to work on it. I have to say though that Kirsten’s comments on my inquiry confused the hell out of me. Hopefully when I talk to her next week I should have a clearer picture.

How have you guys felt with Kirsten’s feedback? I still felt that the amount of revision is a little vague and what is good revision. When Rick completely changed his literacy autobiography, he received a lot of praise from Kirsten, but why should you have to completely a piece in order to get a good grade? What’s the point in the first draft in the first place? And who is to say that the first draft is less valuable? I don’t know either. I know that when I plan a paper carefully, that changing it so radically has no real place in my revision process, but I can see the value in revising a piece that lacks such planning.

at December 11, 2005 6:02 PM