Final Reflection

Final Reflection

Overall, this class was a great class. I learned so much in this class. The final was a lot of fun. I like how it was open and we got to choice from 3 different projects. I chose the grage band final. I had a lot of fun creating music with this program. I never used it before so it was very new to me. I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to save the files to QuickTime but eventually I figured that all out.

Lesson Plan idea with garage band:
I thought it would be neat to make a lesson plan around different songs students like. It would be fun to create an abstract mix with your favorite songs.
I also think it would be nice for student to create their own song in garage band then create an animation to go with it.

Main Idea: for my final project, since I am just learning how to do this, I thought I would create something simple that would be good to teach 3 or 4th grade with. The students would start by making a song then use a simple animation to go with it. For mine I just used my bug animation.

Here is my Final Project

Download file

Teaching Experience/ Reflection

Teaching Experience and Reflection

IMG_9033.jpg

Sam and I decided to do a lesson plan involving the transformation of an insect through the programs of PowerPoint and Paint. This lesson plan in an animation lesson plan that allows the students to grasp the understanding of transformation, animation, and sound effects.
Overall, this was one of the best experiences I’ve had in a classroom so far. I’ve had many opportunities to help out in classrooms, but this is my first time being able to teach a lesson plan to a class with help from a classmate.
This was a great experience that required a lot of planning and prep-time. First Sam and I had to visit Holy Rosary and look at the programs their computers were dated with. Then we had to create example animations for the students to look at. We wrote down what we needed to accomplish each day with the students and the directions we would give them. Sometimes this required making handouts or cds with sounds or examples on them.

Here’s a look at what each day was like…

Visit to classroom/ Holy Rosary: this was an exciting visit. It is a very nice school and we found the student to be very respectful and productive. The computers however were very out of date. But they had the programs we needed to complete our lesson plan.

Day 1: On our first day we introduced ourselves and the project the class would be working on through the next few weeks. We introduced PowerPoint, and Paint; and many of the tools used in each one. By the end of the class period each student had at least 2 slides in PowerPoint: one of their transformation and one of their insect. We then made sure everyone saved their work into their shared folders.
- I though this day went very well. We were both a little nervous to see how much the students would actually get done, but they all ended up finishing what we wanted them to finish. No student gave us troubles and everyone was productive. Judie was very helpful and nice. She helped us whenever we had a question and let us teach the lesson. There was some difficulties throughout the period. We had to help a lot of students. We found the best way to help everyone was to go around the classroom from student to student. The students also had some troubles finding where to save their work. This surprised me because they are 5th graders and you would think they wouldn’t have troubles with that. Overall it was a very productive first day.
Day2: Today Sam and I just went over the tools in PowerPoint. We made sure they understood the tools to use in animating and how to duplicate and insert new slides. We expressed to the class that during this class period they would have to finish their animations or they wouldn’t have time to add sound next class time. By the end of the class time each student finished their work and re-saved it to their folder.
- This day also went by very well. The students had some troubles finding their saved work, but eventually we end finding everyone’s. Again we walked around the classroom helping each student and checking his or her work. Some students wanted to create more in Paint so that tended to be a disturbance. There was also a large range in skill level between the students. Some students had 80+ slides when others had 8 slides. However, it seemed almost everyone had at lest 15 slides by the end of the class period. We did have a student that missed the last class time so we got her caught up in no time. Finally, at the end of the day we collected some of the last class’s animations and put them on my flashdrive.
Day 3: This was our final day to work with the students and finish their animations. Our main focus was completing timings and adding sounds to their animations. However, adding sounds to their animations was not a great success. The time before Sam and I spent a wile messing with the sounds we brought in to make sure they worked. They worked great then. However, this time we were not so lucky. We found out that their computers were just not up-to-date enough for the sounds we brought in. In replace of the sounds we brought in for the students to use we let the students download a music file that was already distributed on their computers. At the end of the class just about every student had their timing and sounds finished and saved to their folder.
- This day was a lot of fun, but very stressful. It was a major bummer to see our sounds not work since that was the major project of the day. Even though they all ended up with a Beethoven’s music clip, they all learned the aspects of adding sound to an animation. They were loving it and were so amazed by what they created. Before we left we saved some of the animations to our dives and uploaded sounds to the students animations that didn’t have enough time to complete the task. We thanked Jodie for her time and she loved what we taught to the class. Sam was going to go back and give her the animations and information so she could finish the rest on her own.
Overall, this was such a rewarding and learning experience. The kids were great and listened to us well. Both Sam and I received the chance to teach a class about animation. Even if everything didn’t go as planed we learn and only improve our ideas for next time. If I were to do anything differently I would work with the sound aspect of this lesson plan more. I would make sure to the computers were up-to-date and had some kind of music program. I would also make sure to demonstrate more on the projecting screen hooked up to my computer. It was nice that both Sam and I were there but if it was just one of use we wouldn’t have that much time to go from student to student. Flipbooks would have been a neat addition to the project and would get their ideas flowing more. Lastly I would add one more class time to this lesson plan. We just needed a little more time to complete our overall goal.

IMG_9046.jpg

Here are some of the animations the students we creating:
Download file
Download file
Download file

Insect Animation Lesson Plan

Methods with Children Lesson Plan:
Insect transformation animation lesson plan

Grade Level: 5th Grade
Age Level: 9 -10
Time Needed: 3 Class Periods (45 minutes each)
Focus: Integrating PowerPoint and Paint to create simple transforming animations.

Objectives:
A. Students will learn transformation and animating techniques.
B. Students will understand the act of transforming and how it works.
C. Students will learn how to integrate sounds and music into their animations.

Motivational Resources:
Animation demos saved to a CD (Animations created by me)
YouTube videos of animations: more specifically shown through PowerPoint.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0Wh8fsfu8
Flipbooks- simple examples made up before class.

Art Materials: Computer lab, PowerPoint, Paint, internet, CD’s with sounds or music, Saving Devices (disks or flashdrives), scratch paper, pencils, and instructional handouts if needed.

Class Arrangement: Adapt to your settings and what is available to you. A computer lab is preferred. Initiate a seating chart if the class can’t handle open seating. Set your computer up to a projector so the class can be informed with information and steps together. Finally there needs to be adaptive art materials and technology for any individual that would like them or need them.

Instructional Procedure:
Class 1: The class will begin with an introduction to the PowerPoint animation lesson plan. The animations will be shown to the class so they get a better understanding of what the project is about. (10 Minutes) Next PowerPoint and Paint will be introduced. The class will be instructed to open these two programs. Give a demonstration on how to use the different tools within the two programs. Next explain the rules for the day. The students may not use more the 3 colors, and they must have a white background. They have to complete at least 2 slides today. (10 minutes) Have the class start with some scratch paper. They can draw their inset ideas on there. When the students feel comfortable they may move into Paint to create their insect and transformation slide. (15 minutes) Next the students will have to import their images into PowerPoint. Give a quick demonstration on how to Copy and Past from Paint to PowerPoint. Make sure to have each image on a separate slide in PowerPoint. (5 Minutes) At this point the students should have at least 2 separate slides in PowerPoint. Have the students save their work into their folder. (5 minutes)
Class 2: Have a brief introduction on what was introduced in the first class. Tell the students what they have to accomplish today. They must finish their animations by the end of class so they can add sound and music the next class period. Next introduce the animating techniques in PowerPoint. Make sure to go over how to duplicate and insert new slides. Go through how many slide they will need (how many transformation slides, how many animated slide, and how many ending slides). There should be at least 2 transformation slides in the beginning of the animation, at least 9 animation slides in the middle, and at least 2 ending or transformation slides at the end of the animation. In the end the students need to have at least 15 slides. Also make sure to show then the animation examples again. (10 minutes) While the students are working walk around to make sure everyone understands what they are to do and answer any questions they may have. (25 minutes) At the end of class have the students re-save their work into their folders. (5 minutes).
Class 3: Have the students open up their PowerPoint animations. The students will need to time their animations and add sounds to them. Show the students how to time their slides. Once the students are done with the timings move on to adding sounds. Have them open up a sound or music file they like from the music folder. Demonstrate how to upload that file to their PowerPoint animation. Have each student review his or her work. When they are finished have them re-save their work in their folder and also save their work to a cd from them to keep after grading. At the end of class they can so the class their animations and what they did.

Evaluation/ Assessment: Evaluation will be scored by class participation, attitude, use of time, creativity, and project objective requirements being meet.

Grading Rubric:
40% Did the student participate and do their best work?
30% Did the student follow the guidelines and topic choice?
20% Was the student creative with their work?
10% Did the student participate and ask questions?

100-90% A Excellent Work
89-80% B Well represents concepts and ideas
79-70% C Standard Work
69-60% D Project needs improvement
59-50% F Project should be reworked and tried again

DBAE Checklist:
Art Production: Simple animation using PowerPoint and Paint
Art History: Animation, Sounds
Art Criticism:
Aesthetics: Appreciate the process of animating through basic programs

Works Cited:

YouTube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0Wh8fsfu8

Animation Lesson Plan

Animation Lesson Plan

Grade Level: 5th Grade
Age Level: 10- 11
Time Needed: 6 class periods or less
Focus: integrating simple images with animation using Photoshop.

Objectives:
a. Student will learn basic animation skills with the computer
b. Student will introduce harmony with color to help create a unified composition.
c. Students will continue to develop the ability to pick the technique to get a desired effect.

Motivational Resources:
a. Movies
b. You Tube
c. Simple animations
d. Flipbooks
e. Books

Art Materials: computer, Photoshop (preferred), saving device (disk, flashdrive), scratch paper, index cards, pencils, stapler, and markers

Class Arrangement: Adapt to your settings and what is available to you for computer access. If a lab is available set up a seating chart so students don’t get side tracked with friends. Set your computer up to a projector to enlarge the image onto a screen. If there is no lab available use the few computers that are available to you in the classroom. Make sure to have one table with all the materials such as the scratch paper, index cards, or pencils. Put motivational resources up around the room to inspire the students to be creative. Finally there needs to be adaptive art materials and technology for any individuals that would like them or need them.

Instructional Procedure:
Class 1: The day will begin with a simple intro to animation. The class will explore different approaches to animation and what is going on in the world today. They will look at animation examples from You Tube and selected videos. The teacher will then discus the use of animation in Photoshop, and explain the animation project. Afterwards, the class will be introduced to their first activity.
Activity 1 Steps: Make a Flip Book
1: Students will get 12 index cards from the back table.
2: Students will then create a simple story board showing a circle moving around from index card to index card.
3: Students will then staple the index cards in order to create a simple flip book animation.
Class 2: The teacher will have a brief discussion on what was introduced in class I and reinforce the outcomes for the project. The teacher will then introduce Photoshop. Depending on the classes experience with Photoshop, this could take up most of the class period. Students need to know how to use the basic tools and how to make basic shapes. Next the teacher will demonstrate how to use the simple flip book animation to create a simple animation using Photoshop. This will be shown through another demonstration. After the demonstration, if there is time remaining, the students will create their own simple animation based of their flip book drawings.
Class 3: The teacher will reinforce what is expected for the simple flip book animation using Photoshop. The class will continue to finish their simple flip book animations on Photoshop. After most of the class is finished with their simple animations, the final project will be introduced. The rest of the day will be a work day. Most of all allow the students to be creative.
Steps for Final Animation Project:
1: Have students open Photoshop and create a new project that is 5?x6?.
2: Every student starts with a circle at the top right corner of the screen.
3: Students must use a white background
4: Each student will choice one dominate color to work with.
- Students may not use more than 3 colors throughout their animations.
5: Students will use their skills in Photoshop to create at least 15 slides/ layers to make their animation.
6: The students will start with the circle at the top of the page, animate it however they wish, and end with a circle (the same size and place) at the top of their page.
- Animations can include movement, growth, and change in formation. Students should also create an animation that grabs the audience.
Class 4: This day will be a work day. The teacher will reinforce what is expected for the project and show a few more examples of simple animations from the saved cd. The teacher will also walk around student to student to look at their current work or assist with any problems they may have.
Class 5: This is the final work day. The class will only have half the class time to complete their animations before display and critique time. Immediately after this time the teacher will demonstrate how to save their work onto a disk. The students will fallow by saving their animations to a disk, given to them from the teacher. Their final product should be nicely finished for grading and presenting. With the remaining time the students will fill out a worksheet about their animation, how the project went, and what they enjoyed about learning simple animations.
Class 6: Before introducing the next lesson plan the teacher will use this day to show the class their animations. The teacher will have a pre-made disk with all the students work. The work will be looped together and shown to the class. Afterwards, the class can comment on others animations, their animation, or how the project went for them. The teacher could also use this day and let the students add sounds or music to their animations.

Evaluation/ Assessment: Evaluation will be scored by class participation, attitude, use of time, creativity, and project objective requirements being meet. Student will also be assessed by an in class critique.

Grading Rubric:
40%: Did the student participate and do their best work?
30%: Did the student follow the guidelines and topic choice?
20%:
10%: Did the student participate in discussion and critique?

100-90% A Excellent work
89-80%: B Well represented concepts and ideas
79-70%: C Standard work
69-60%: D Project needs improvement
59-50%: F project should be reworked and tried again

DBAE Checklist:
Art production: Simple animation using Photoshop
Art History: Animation
Art Criticism: Critique of students work
Aesthetics: Appreciate the animations through the use of Photoshop

Continue reading "Animation Lesson Plan" »

ITeach Inanimate Alice

In class we have been spending some time looking at the ITeach Inanimate Alice website. There are currently 4 episodes of Inanimate Alice. Each episode tells a story and engages the viewer with interactive elements. I found these videos to be very interesting conceptually, artistically, and interactively. It is hard to say what age group this is directed towards, but I think it is focused towards an upper elementary or junior high level, although, this is a great resource for any age level.

These videos are great resources to use with children. The videos are not directed toward any specific gender, which would make for a great classroom resource. The main character is a girl, named Alice, who grows in age throughout the episodes. She doesn’t portray a particular age and is just seen as a young girl, which will relate more with children. Inanimate Alice also does a great job avoiding the “Seven Kisses of Death? – a phrase used in a book we are reading in class called Digital Storytelling: A Creators Guide to Interactive Entertainment. The seven kisses of death deal with seven concepts you should avoid while producing a digital story for children. By reading these seven kisses of death I learned a lot about what a good production is looking to achieve with their young viewer.

The episodes don’t explain everything in words. Children are smart and can figure out concepts without an overproduction of words. However, the reading is very modest and would be around the 4th grade reading level. Inanimate Alice is also looking to relate with the audience. The episodes capture the audience with an edge. You never know where the story is going or what will happen next. There are fun interactives throughout the episodes that involve the viewer and make the experience more enjoyable. Altogether, this is a successful digital story that has many strengths and motives. A good classroom tool!

Here is the Inanimate Alice Webpage:
http://www.inanimatealice.com/education/

alt="iTeach Inanimate Alice" title="iTeach Inanimate Alice" border="0">

Whiteboard Animation

Here is a whiteboard animation that I found.

">

Creature Landscape Collage

Creating a Creature
As a class we gathered photos with a digital camera and put them into a shared photo bank. From there we created creatures using Photoshop and collage techniques.
My creature has the head of an eagle, body of a zebra and tiger, and legs of a giraffe and drill. I also wanted to add simple drawing techniques so I made my creature some wings, feet, eye lashes, neck ring, and design. Afterwards I played with the color and saturation to unify the different concepts of each particular section of the creature.

Here is my creature

creature_kendra.jpg

Creating a Landscape for our Creature
When we were finished creating our creature everyone in class created a landscape for our creatures to live in.

landscape_kendra.jpg

New Meldia Art Book

For this class we are referencing to a book called New Media Art. It's a great book that talks about various artists and there new ideas with media art. While looking through the book I became interested in an art group called the Knowbotic Research. This group consists of three individuals (Yvonne Wilhelm, Christian Huebler, and Alexander Tuchacek). They developed the Knowbotic Research group in 1991. “Their more recent projects use media artistic practice as an attempt to find viable forms of intervention in the new public domain.?

In May of 2002 the group, along with Peter Sandbichler, introduced the Minds of Concern::Breaking News. The exhibition was set up in the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York, titled “Open_Source_Art_Hack.? This exhibition was mostly about a website that featured port-scanning software. It focuses on the issue of hackers on the internet. This software would scan for security weaknesses in internet servers, in this case selected non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and media activists. When entering the site the visitors would do a port-scan to find the vulnerability of the servers towards hacking attacks. This piece was very intimidating and created a lot of controversy. It was taken offline by the Museum after its internet server threatened to shut down its internet access due to this website.

Artists are using many different technologies to express their art. I like how this project explores web art in a very intriguing manner. This group put forward a very touchy issue that is found among the world web. It’s like reporting news, but in an ironic approach.

Incorporate a Lesson Plan:
I know this would be a very hard project to discuss in an educational setting. As a lesson plan I think it would be very interesting to explore different issues that are prominent in society. The lesson plan would require the students to think critically about an issue that is affecting our society. From there they will do some research and form a “Breaking News Article.? When they finish their article they will develop a webpage. This will actually be a design they would create in Photoshop. They would use inspirational web-art-sites, such as the one Knowbotic Research made, to create their own image. Once each student develops their site the class will create a slideshow or a webpage with each of their sites. It will turn into a newspaper of current society issues.

Web Links:
http://framework.v2.nl/archive/archive/node/actor/.xslt/nodenr-64767
http://www.medienkunstnetz.de/works/dialogue-with-the-knowbotic-south/

Digital Collage Brainstorm

Found Object Digital Collage: “The Places We Go?
Have the students brainstorm the places they like to walk to from their home. This could be a park, restaurant, lake… extra. Have them chose one destination. As homework they will take time to walk to that destination. On the walk they should take pictures and gather things they see. Then, in class, they will create a digital collage about the place they like to go based on the photos and items they gathered.

Mask Collage:
Students will design a mask layout. This mask should describe their personality, so they will have to gather photos or items of things they enjoy. With those things they will create a skin for their mask/creature face.

Welcome to my Blog

Hi my name is Kendra Stettler. This is my third year attending UMD. I am majoring in Art Education and minoring in Special Education. I’m very interested in learning more about new media art, and how to use it to our advantage as a tool in art and society. Eventually, I hope to work as an art teacher in a special education school!