« The energies of Midway | Main | Genius Loci »

Corcoran

Being South Sider I would like to show some support for the Corcoran Neighborhood. They are in the proecces of making this a better place. In the process they are creating better Spaces for themselves. Prostitution and grafiti are some of the concerns with the neighborhood. The work force consists of volunteers. These volunteers are concerned members of the community. They want a better place for themselves and their families.

This neighborhood is definately not all bad. I enjoyed my stay here. During the day this was my space. I walked and biked freely. Children plays sports in the park. There are many things going for the community. They have a farmers market on the weekends where neighbors can support, meet and hangout with together. There is a YMCA, Ethic food, and even some shopping (Savers).

There are a couple hot spots that I know of. One being a gas station on 34th and Cedar Ave S. This has been a site of allot of crime. Gang signs also litter the alley ways stretching from this point. I mention this block in particular because I happened to live on this block. After dark I chose to stay off the streets, and behind my 8 ft tall privacy fence, which was spared the marks that my neighbors often had to paint over. The problem of prostitution became clear on the daily drive to work in the morning as familiar female faces occupy their space on the corner. They offer with or without words to befriend the stranger travelling by. That is not an acceptable thing.

I would have prefered that my space not change depending on the time of day. Others feel that way too, and are doing things about it. Below is a map of the neighborhood. Please check out the link to see what they are doing.

http://www.corcoranneighborhood.org/

corcoran neighborhood.map.jpg