Main | Corcoran »

The energies of Midway

It was suggested in class that we go to Midway in Minneapolis and check out the Global Market. This is a bustling place that is worth checking out. On the main floor next to Lake street many shops of all types divide the area into a grid like pattern. While there is also an Allina clinic and an apartment complex in the same building.

There are differant types of energies mixing together throughout . The first I noticed was a conservation of energy by converting an old Sears building to the above mentioned market. Much destruction was saved allong with a landmark that has been on Lake Street for a long time. As I walked around I noticed the Social energies. This is a convenient gathering place for all types of local cultures. This is a diverse neighborhood, and building. There was a nice mixture of people shopping together. The market style of the place made you communicate with the person owning the shop. This is a social energy one may not expend otherwise. Energies are also exchanged when a person purchases something from a vendor. They both have a need that is satified by the purchase. One recieves a good, or service (at a reasonable price too), and the other recieves money.

The layout of the place is somewhat confusing for a first timer. The impression I have of the place is that shoppes selling things from small trinkets to 4 foot vases seem to be on the ouskirts of the grid or closer the large parking lot on the West side. This may be so that Shoppers going for the food in the middle of the grid have to walk by and look at these vendors before they can get to their destination. This could be good for business for the small shop keepers who otherwise may be ignored.

I am glad to have recieved this assignment. Being that I live only 3 blocks away I will be back again. This time I will try another type of food (Holy Land is great), and maybe play a game of chess in the lounging area.