Presenting with photographs

In our last class, we talked about the power of photography and the exceptional effectiveness of photographs as visual aids, and this topic will form the core of our next presentation exercise. On February 29, I'd like each of you to give a short (5-minute) presentation on one idea related to your research using only photographs as visual aids.

Each of you should have received an email from me with comments on your Takahashi-style presentation. Included in that email was a list of terms that your audience identified as jargon. In your next presentation, I'd like you to explain what one of your 'jargon' concepts means. If your jargon list was short, please explain another concept that's central to your research subject or theme instead.

I've posted a PDF with slides from last class right here.

Where can you get images?
This exercise also gives you the chance to assemble a library of images related to your research that you'll be able to use later in the course (and beyond). The best source of images is your own photographs, so you might want to use this as an opportunity to take a few pictures of your lab, your research subject or something else that links you and your research topic. Otherwise, I'd recommend visiting Flickr.com and searching for images uploaded under a 'Creative Commons' license.

Other links
I'd encourage you to look through Garr Reynolds' online presentation about the major take-away ideas from John Medina's 'Brain Rules'.

Next class
And finally, a reminder that next class (Feb 22), we will meet on the St. Paul campus and be combined with a communications workshop run through the Institute on the Environment. Go to IonE Seminar Room R380 in the Learning & Environmental Sciences Building.