Takahashi follow-up

OK, I'll give you a few more details about your assignment.

Next week, each of you will give a brief presentation using the 'Takahashi method'. I first learned about this approach through a he 'Presentation Zen' blog, which featured a short post about the method and a nice story about its development.

For your version, I'd like you to focus on one important idea related to your research. Because you'll only have 5 minutes to give your presentation, you'll need to select an idea that is sufficiently narrow to be discussed briefly but is also also accessible to non-experts (the rest of us). Please try your best to respect the constraints of the format: one idea, 20 (big) words, 5 minutes.

Finally, I mentioned that using 'standard' fonts can help avoid common formatting problems in PowerPoint or Keynote. You can scroll through a list of 'safe' fonts that are installed on all Windows or Mac machines right here.

Know your audience
Also next week, we'll talk more about understanding our audience. Depending on the occasion, we may end up speaking to people with very different backgrounds or interest in our subject. If we simply give the same presentation to everyone, we'll probably end up missing the mark and be either too technical or too simple. Ken Haemer, who's a retired manager from AT&T put it nicely when he said "...designing a presentation without an audience in mind is like writing a love letter and addressing it 'to whom it may concern'".

To get ready for that discussion, I'd like to you read two (short) articles that have very different perspectives on the way that scientists (or researchers) communicate.

Preston Manning, 'Communicating effectively with politicians'
Tim Radford, 'Of course scientists can communicate'