Keeping up

It takes effort to keep up with the latest technology. In class this week we discussed a very good case study about introducing a new online program that teachers can use when teaching. As a student and instructor I know how it feels when new programs are introduced. As a student I expect my instructor to know how the program works in case I have questions and I expect the use of the new program to go well with the purpose of the class. As an instructor I want my time spent on the new program to show benefits.

It takes a lot of effort on my part to keep up with the technology advancements. I am taking a class right now that is teaching me how to design a website. When talking to my younger sister, who is a junior in high school, she learned how to design a website as a freshman.

I think that it is important to continue growing professionally. Although it may seem intimidating to use technology or new programs like “Vista”, it is important to consider student’s needs and new ways of teaching. Like most people, my problem is lack of time. If the benefit is great enough, it is worth my time but someone will have to convince me. I also feel that it helps when I am surrounded by others that encourage professional growth.

I heard a great point in another class that sums up this entry:

"You can't teach what you don't know."

Posted by sthielen at February 4, 2005 11:16 PM