evaluation

It is amazing how many meetings I attend and people always ask for “the numbers.” At a recent meeting I attended someone presented statistics and graphs showing results for a program we were evaluating. During the meeting we discussed the method of evaluation that was done and we realized that the wrong variables were measured and that the numbers did not show the results that were need to assess the program. Sam Gonzales’s case study did a good job at creating discussion about evaluation. When designing the program and throughout the instructional design model more attention needed to be made on how the program would be evaluated and assessed.

Posted by sthielen at 9:23 PM

Chapter 5

Chapter 5 of Real World Instructional Design by Cennamo and Kalk was a great chapter for instructors who are preparing for instructional delivery. Keeping the learner’s needs in mind, a instructor has many ways to deliver material. When thinking of learners needs an instructor should not only think about the different learning styles, knowledge/skill level, etc. but also make sure that the designs used can be used by all learners such as those with physical disabilities.

When looking at the different delivery methods the learners needs should always be considered. Delivery options can be formal or informal, given via distance or face-to-face, or asynchronously. I found asynchronous learning very interesting because it keeps the learners from getting bored or overwhelmed during the lesson, something that can be useful in a classroom with students at different skill level. The authors also discussed different modes of delivery such as classroom, Web, videos and performance support systems. The instructor not only needs to think of the learner when choosing delivery methods but also what kind of access he/she has. Instructors can save some time by using teaching material created by others. Materials that have copyrights or need licensing to use must be taken care of before using them for instruction. Fair use is protection for educators but does not give them all access to material. Basically, be smart about what information is used.

If I where to sum of the key points in this chapter I would say they were:

1.) keep the learner’s need in mind when choosing deliver methods.
2.) choose delivery methods that aid in teaching the material.
3.) more then one deliver method can be used.
4.) check for copyrights or licensing before using other peoples material.

Posted by sthielen at 8:04 PM

Recognizing Differences

When deciding on different teaching styles to use in the classroom or even in your own business, the teaching style you choose may impact people very differently, especially if there are culture differences amongst the class/group. This lesson was taught very well in the Iris Daniels Case Study.

There is a big need to do our homework. When we know we are going to conduct a meeting or hold a class that consist of people from many different cultures or backgrounds, it is important to be aware that others may not think the same or react the same to ideas, presentation, etc. In the case study Iris was just not aware that the problems were being caused by the large amount of diversity in the meeting. After Jim told her why she may be having some of the problems she had a better understanding of why there were problems. However, when a person knows there are cultural differences they should respect them and try to accommodate those differences to receive respect and positive feedback.

The world we live in is becoming smaller. It is our own responsibility to become aware of the differences and how we can all work together efficiently and effectively. If we don’t become aware then we will face problems like Iris did in the case study.

Posted by sthielen at 1:48 PM

Keeping up

It takes effort to keep up with the latest technology. In class this week we discussed a very good case study about introducing a new online program that teachers can use when teaching. As a student and instructor I know how it feels when new programs are introduced. As a student I expect my instructor to know how the program works in case I have questions and I expect the use of the new program to go well with the purpose of the class. As an instructor I want my time spent on the new program to show benefits.

It takes a lot of effort on my part to keep up with the technology advancements. I am taking a class right now that is teaching me how to design a website. When talking to my younger sister, who is a junior in high school, she learned how to design a website as a freshman.

I think that it is important to continue growing professionally. Although it may seem intimidating to use technology or new programs like “Vista”, it is important to consider student’s needs and new ways of teaching. Like most people, my problem is lack of time. If the benefit is great enough, it is worth my time but someone will have to convince me. I also feel that it helps when I am surrounded by others that encourage professional growth.

I heard a great point in another class that sums up this entry:

"You can't teach what you don't know."

Posted by sthielen at 11:16 PM